Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/09/2005, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...44#post5479344
Old 08/09/2005, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garagebrian
Lossman,
How many serpents do you have? I would think feeding them once a week or every two weeks would be fine, you don't want them too fat to not do their cleaning duties

B.
We have 4 of them in there. Those are the original 4 that we got in April. They seem to be fairly active so I guess they are ok. I'll feed them today and then see how things go. Thanks for everyone's tip on target feeding these guys! I just never thought about it!!
Old 08/09/2005, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

pat, new pictures on the way.
Old 08/10/2005, 07:00 AM
Premium Member

Bob's latest pictures:

They look great Bob!
Old 08/10/2005, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

thanks pat. now ,sure would be nice to get my new tank up and running but it looks like forever to get gulf rock pt 1
Old 08/10/2005, 08:33 AM
Premium Member

Here are some old TBS pictures:

Old 08/10/2005, 09:56 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Pat,

Did any of those pretty colonial tunicates survive?

Brian
Old 08/10/2005, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garagebrian
Pat,
Did any of those pretty colonial tunicates survive?
Brian
Unfortunately, no. Every once in a while, I will see a very small batch pop up, but they don't last very long.
Almost all the beautiful colored sponge is gone too.
Old 08/10/2005, 10:07 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Your beautiful sponge is dying off thats a bummer Pat
Old 08/10/2005, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

What a shame, Pat!! I know we have lost a few of our tunicates and sponges, but the majority survived and we see new things popping up all the time. Just this weekend I found a tiny ring of navy blue sponge growing on some lemony colored encrusting sponge. Makes a nice contrast. Hopefully some of your new sponge will start really growing and spreading.
Old 08/10/2005, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

most of my sponges are still with me and i have a few new ones growing
Old 08/10/2005, 11:49 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quick nudi update, I was using the old nudibranch QT cup as a holding cup for a couple of aiptasia anemones and this morning I discovered that there was an egg sprial in there as well, they must have been laid before 8/6 when I transferred the nudis to the bigger bucket. I can't guarantee the eggs were always in water, but if they are still good they should hatch around 8/16. I've put a couple aiptasia and one tulip anemone in there in case they do hatch.

These egg masses are hard to see against white, I think I'm going to clean up a blue bucket I have super good and transfer the adults in there later.

B.
Old 08/10/2005, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

UPS is not on the ball today at all. I am waiting for my order from Pet Solutions and it still hasn't come.
Just for the heck of it, I decided to check the tracking number again.
I see that it has been re-scheduled for delivery tomorrow because nobody was available for delivery on the first attempt at 9:43am!
I almost flipped out!
I guess the UPS driver doesn't know how to read house numbers, because all I can say is nobody ever came to this house.
4 people were here then, plus 2 doggies that would NEVER not let us know someone was at the door.
Old 08/10/2005, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

Must be UPS today. My delivery came from Pet Soultions today also but by the time my daughter could get to the door he was already down the driveway with my package (signature required). I was on the phone with UPS right after my daughter called me to say what happened. They were actually very nice and they contacted the driver to find out where he was at the time. They told me I could meet him and get the package because they won't do a second delivery until the next day. Needless to say I went right out the door to meet him because I didn't want a box of dead stuff. All in all it worked out OK, just didn't get lunch today.
Old 08/10/2005, 01:50 PM
Tang? What Tang!

Thats crazy Pat, probaly stopped for coffee and just did not come to the house at all. Hope they show up tommorrow then!!
Old 08/10/2005, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

Well UPS just called back and said the driver is on his way to deliver the package. I said good...and to make sure he comes to the right house because he obviously didn't come to this house this morning.

I had also called Pet Solutions so they have this on record and they said to tell UPS to get it to me today as it's live animals, and if for any reason it was DOA when I got it, they would honor the guarantee since it wasn't my fault.
Old 08/10/2005, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Okay, UPS just came. The driver tried to say he was here earlier and the puppies were on the window sill barking and he knocked and nobody answered. I think he wanted to cover his butt. He said he knew he'd be back later. I asked him why he didn't ring the bell and he said he knocked good.

Anyway, everything is alive, but the foxface doesn't look good. It is barely yellow. Does anyone know if they change or loose color when they're stressed or not in light?
I got 2 "small" skunk shrimp and I can honestly say they're small. I had to search the bag to see if anything was in it. lol They are about ½" long. I have pistols that are bigger than that. The Japanese Swallow looks beautiful!
Old 08/10/2005, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Rest assured Pat, Foxfaces get a pale yellow when stressed. Once comfortable his colors will brighten.
Old 08/10/2005, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bstear
Rest assured Pat, Foxfaces get a pale yellow when stressed. Once comfortable his colors will brighten.
It's not that it's just a pale yellow....it looks like it has brown blotches all over it. Not even black....brown ugly. There's a slight tint of yellow on it's fin.
I can't even get a picture while it's in the bag because it would never come out well enough to see. I'll have to wait until it gets acclimated before I'm able to get a good picture.
Old 08/10/2005, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Here is a nice picture of the skunk shrimp and the Japanese Swallowtail:

Old 08/10/2005, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Wow that swallowtail is really beautiful. Yeah I left that part out.. but they are blochy too. Pale yellow and blochy.. its normal, he may even lay on his side and not move for a while This is a defence mechanism, makes the predator think they are dead.
Old 08/10/2005, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Noticed that it saws the Swallowtail is reef safe.. very cool. Says minimum 100g .. hopefully bob has hiding spots too . Saw that it says they like to have hiding spots.
Old 08/10/2005, 03:12 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Brian, I know Dr. Rudman is interested in this too, so can you see individual eggs in the ribbons like you can with the Berghia spiral pictured in Anthony's article? I would have expected these guys to have lecithotrophic (nonfeeding) larvae, but I also expected a spiral. If you can't see individual eggs they are probably planktonic and you will have a much harder time raising them.
Old 08/10/2005, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bstear
Wow that swallowtail is really beautiful. Yeah I left that part out.. but they are blochy too. Pale yellow and blochy.. its normal, he may even lay on his side and not move for a while This is a defence mechanism, makes the predator think they are dead.
Oh okay....then I guess it's doing okay. When I took it out of the bag, it wasn't brown blotches....but black blotches. It was kind of laying on it's side, so I thought it wasn't doing well. Good to know, thanks! I feel a little better now.
There are tons of hiding places in the TBS tank. The shrimp is going to think it's in the ocean when it gets into the tank with the size of it now. lol

I believe Landon just got a swallowtail a few weeks ago.
Old 08/10/2005, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Cool.. I used to clean fish tanks and I know that Foxface lose color and get blotchy . This would happen everytime I would clean the tank. After a while he would perk up and be ok. Definately hard to tell when they are actually having problems since they look the same way. That is one thing I don't like is that they look just as bad when they ARE dying. He should be ok.. like you said if he isn't they will honor the guarantee.