Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/15/2005, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

i never asked but i don't think so.
Old 07/15/2005, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

Hi TBS Gang...

My tank's progressing pretty well - here's a recent shot:

I have a few questions the TBS folks are probably the best to answer - maybe you've come across these things already:

* Anyone remove Turkey Wing bi-valves? I have lots of large ones, and I'd like to have more flexibility in aquascaping. It'd be neat if there's a way to remove them without smashing them - anyone removed them but kept them alive? If so, can they reattach somewhere else? If not, and even if the only way to remove them results in their demise, is there a good technique to get them off?

* I have some zoas and yellow polyps that are doing OK, but not super great... I've got water quality well under control (I believe), and am wondering if any of the hitch hikers are prone to picking on zoas and/or yellow polyps. I know I have some medium sized red mithrax still in there, and at least a few small-ish gorilla crabs. Anyone think they'd pick on zoas/yellow polyps?

* I have three peppermint shrimp - and they're greedy pigs at feeding time - any reason it's "good" to have three - I'm thinking of reducing to just one (or maybe none - any particular benefit to having the peppermint at all)?

Thanks!

- Michael
Old 07/15/2005, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mhe
I have a few questions the TBS folks are probably the best to answer - maybe you've come across these things already:

* Anyone remove Turkey Wing bi-valves? I have lots of large ones, and I'd like to have more flexibility in aquascaping. It'd be neat if there's a way to remove them without smashing them - anyone removed them but kept them alive? If so, can they reattach somewhere else? If not, and even if the only way to remove them results in their demise, is there a good technique to get them off?

* I have some zoas and yellow polyps that are doing OK, but not super great... I've got water quality well under control (I believe), and am wondering if any of the hitch hikers are prone to picking on zoas and/or yellow polyps. I know I have some medium sized red mithrax still in there, and at least a few small-ish gorilla crabs. Anyone think they'd pick on zoas/yellow polyps?

* I have three peppermint shrimp - and they're greedy pigs at feeding time - any reason it's "good" to have three - I'm thinking of reducing to just one (or maybe none - any particular benefit to having the peppermint at all)?

Thanks!

- Michael
Looks like your tank is coming along nicely.

I had some turkey wings that I justed pulled off but I did this before I put the rock in because I knew they would cause a problem. I think I took one off on my first shipment because it stunk. They were tough but I just pulled them off by hand. I didn't attempt to try to keep them alive.

Can't help with the zoas.

I don't have any problems with my peppermint shrimps. They do come out when I feed but I think the hermits are worse and more aggressive to food laying around.
Old 07/15/2005, 10:08 AM
Premium Member

Michael, I read somewhere a while back that you can cut them off with a very sharp knife. I wish I remembered where it was now...but I can't.
Mine are all still doing just fine. I did see just last week that a little clam opened all the way up. There is nothing in there at all except an empty shell. The funny thing is I didn't even know there was a clam in that rock. It's one of the small rocks right in the front that came with part 2....but never saw or noticed a clam until we saw the empty shell.

Has anyone seen this? I just saw it in the list of sponsors.
http://www.nosickfish.com/index.jsp
Old 07/15/2005, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Pat.. I don't think Tangs are any more likely to get ich then any other fish. As long as the place you get them from is reputable if they don't come with ich they won't get it. They can only get ich if another fish had it and gave it to them. If you want two tangs just get one at a time.. place in your QT tank and you should be fine. As with any fish that you have to treat for ich or any other disease in your QT tank just empty all the water after treating and replenish. This will remove any ich or medicines from the tank.

Just make sure to turn off any filters when medicating so you don't filter it out and change filters after you are finished to be safe. As long as your QT tank has a bare bottom you should be fine. Its good to know you are being careful but truthfully PAt you should even have to worry about ICH unless there are other fish in the system at LFS that have it and perhaps the tang would get it. Make sure to get sheets of algae for your tang. They are Omnivores (vegetarians) .. although mine also eat Frozen, there main source of nutrition is Algae. You should be able to pick some up at LFS or if you have a Petco they carry it there too. Good luck.
Old 07/15/2005, 12:08 PM
Premium Member

actually - tangs are supposed to be herbivores- but I've seen them adjust their diet to be omnivores. However for a tang to truly thrive, a diet consisting more on the veggie side will certainly help as you noted.

MHE - the only way to truly know Re: crabs is to get them all out of there. I don't trust any true crabs (even the hermits deserve a closer look).

While the peppermints were so cool to have for month one - if I were to do it all over again - i'd skip the peppermints and stick with a pair of skunk cleaners. Frankly I do not see them doing anything for the tank that cannot be handled already by bristle worms or micro stars. The peppermints don't even bothering sticking an antennae out for folks to look at...they only come out at night (unless I'm feeding). Furthermore I have observed them pulling food out of a polyp.

I never considered removing the turkey wings - too many to try I guess. Some of them even have substantial amounts of tube coral grown right on top of them.
Old 07/15/2005, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

you don't have to shut the filter off while treating with meds,but you must remove any carbon from the filter system
Old 07/15/2005, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
MHE - the only way to truly know Re: crabs is to get them all out of there. I don't trust any true crabs (even the hermits deserve a closer look).

While the peppermints were so cool to have for month one - if I were to do it all over again - i'd skip the peppermints and stick with a pair of skunk cleaners. Frankly I do not see them doing anything for the tank that cannot be handled already by bristle worms or micro stars. The peppermints don't even bothering sticking an antennae out for folks to look at...they only come out at night (unless I'm feeding). Furthermore I have observed them pulling food out of a polyp.

I never considered removing the turkey wings - too many to try I guess. Some of them even have substantial amounts of tube coral grown right on top of them.
Yeah, I've been pulling the crabs out as I find them, I have quite a collection in my sump - except the porcelain crabs, of which I must have 20 in the tank...

I'm leaning towards getting rid of the peppermints - I too can't figure out what positive impact they have (given I don't have apastia (sp?) problems)...

You're right about the cool stuff on the outside of the turkey wings - one of the reasons I'm so reluctant to just smash them - but I'm not sure what to do yet... I also don't want to take the rocks out and "work on them" to get them off if I can avoid it - everything's so nice and stable in the tank and on the TBS rock I really would rather not disturb it, but I would like to adjust stuff and I can't figure out how to do it with all the turkey wings all over the place!

Thanks,

- Michael
Old 07/15/2005, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

Pat, i was hoping greenbean would touch on the subject of the Nepthia coral you posted about earlier. from my readings the nepthia and dendronepthia species are near impossible to keep in captivity.
Old 07/15/2005, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
Pat, i was hoping greenbean would touch on the subject of the Nepthia coral you posted about earlier. from my readings the nepthia and dendronepthia species are near impossible to keep in captivity.
That's weird because it says it's a fairly easy coral to keep. Best to know...this way I'll just stay away from it. Thanks.

I just went out to get a haircut and stopped at a different LFS than I usually go to. I saw one yellow tang but it was too big for my liking. It looked nice and healthy. I also saw 2 hippos, which were a decent size, but I just didn't want to take a chance with them. There is no guarantee from this store, and they had so many HUGE fish in such small tanks. I felt bad for them.
I'm better off just ordering it from petsolutions. The cost with the shipping is the same as around here with the tax and at least I would have a 2 week guarantee on the fish. I guess what I don't know won't hurt me....who knows what they keep their fish in. Yet, everyone posts that their fish come fat and healthy from petsolutions.
That is.....unless Bob tells me PW has them.
One at a time isn't the worst thing in the world. I was just trying to save shipping costs for each fish.
Old 07/15/2005, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Pat, i saw that in the link you posted. maybe its just the dendronepthia corals, but im not 100% sure. ill check into some books tonight and see if m,y memoery is correct. also if the books are older, maybe the advances in husbandry have deemed these corals keepable
Old 07/15/2005, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
Pat, i saw that in the link you posted. maybe its just the dendronepthia corals, but im not 100% sure. ill check into some books tonight and see if m,y memoery is correct. also if the books are older, maybe the advances in husbandry have deemed these corals keepable
Thanks. That would be great of you could do that.
Old 07/15/2005, 01:53 PM
Soul of a Sailor

I missed a lot of stuff because I didn't check on this thread for a day or two before the split. I don't really have time right now to go back and get caught up though.

AFAIK Nepthia can be kept, it's Dendronepthea and Scleronepthia that are difficult.

Not all tangs are herbivores. Some of the larger species tend to switch to more carnivorous diets as they mature. Regal tangs are one that does this. Also, in this month's RK they mention that this is the case with the unicorn and Naso tangs as well.
Old 07/15/2005, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

This was the link Landon and I are referring to. I wanted to know if this coral would be okay to get.
http://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=179700L
Old 07/15/2005, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

pat, no small yt's or decent coral. but as you tell us, just be paitent. they'll have them in a few days. all i know is i've never had any problem with his fish.
Old 07/15/2005, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

oops - yes I forgot about those tangs (blue/naso) - my mind was set on YT and similar ones with those long snouts. Yes I'd imagine that any fish that has teeth like a blue tang (ever get bitten by one?) would be a carnivore.

Hey - I get paid today! (danielle...hint hint).

heheh (sorry I'm not going to buy anything today...!)
Old 07/15/2005, 02:56 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

I was playing around with my camera last night, here are a couple of my corals under actinics:

B.
Old 07/15/2005, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
Hey - I get paid today! (danielle...hint hint).

heheh (sorry I'm not going to buy anything today...!)
Sorry Phil no new corals for me for a while. I don't get paid until next Friday Actually I'm probably going to wait a while before I get anymore corals. I am thinking about getting a new fish for my QT though.
Old 07/15/2005, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

Hi all I'm heading out to get two clowns as the Qt is up and running now. Any suggestions what to look for? Should I ask if they have any tank raised ones, or mated pairs? Or just pick out the best two? Smaller or larger? Food suggestions for QT fish? Flake? Brine? soaked in_____?

Thanks!
Old 07/15/2005, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nirol
Hi all I'm heading out to get two clowns as the Qt is up and running now. Any suggestions what to look for? Should I ask if they have any tank raised ones, or mated pairs? Or just pick out the best two? Smaller or larger? Food suggestions for QT fish? Flake? Brine? soaked in_____? Thanks!
Both sets of mine are tank raised. Neither are mated pairs. The first set I got was one larger and one smaller. The newest ones I got from ReefScience are similar in size with one being slightly larger.
They eat anything. Mine like the Formula One Flake the best, and cyclopeeze. They get along very well.
The first 2 I got are true percs. I'm not sure about the newest ones. I'll have to sent Chad and email and ask if they're true or false.

Brian, your corals look awesome.
What are they?
I might have to get some new bulbs for my lights. I need to get more actinic bulbs I think.
Old 07/15/2005, 03:27 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Brian, your corals look awesome.
What are they?
I might have to get some new bulbs for my lights. I need to get more actinic bulbs I think.
Pat,

In order:

1. Green Kenya Tree frag
2. Green Hairy Mushroom
3. Orange centered zoas...I've never seen them anywhere else...I'm going to call them Candycorn zoas

My lights are URI Super Actinic VHO bulbs.

Here is one more pic under the same lighting:

B.
Old 07/15/2005, 03:37 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Quote:
This was the link Landon and I are referring to. I wanted to know if this coral would be okay to get.
http://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=179700L
Yep, one of the guys around here has traded so many frags of his that he can't give them away anymore. I don't have one though.
Old 07/15/2005, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Both sets of mine are tank raised. Neither are mated pairs. The first set I got was one larger and one smaller. The newest ones I got from ReefScience are similar in size with one being slightly larger.
They eat anything. Mine like the Formula One Flake the best, and cyclopeeze. They get along very well.
The first 2 I got are true percs. I'm not sure about the newest ones. I'll have to sent Chad and email and ask if they're true or false.
Thanks Pat! Anyone think fish in QT should be fed food soaked in Garlic? Pat, which ones do you like better?
Old 07/15/2005, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garagebrian
Pat,

In order:

1. Green Kenya Tree frag

3. Orange centered zoas...I've never seen them anywhere else...I'm going to call them Candycorn zoas

1. i think that may be sinularia sp. nice looking coral i was wanting a frag for th longest time, but now i have no room

3. yes you have

Pat, greenbean has confirmed, i was wrong once again like i said though i kind of doubted wether it was dendronepthia and nepthia or just the former.
Old 07/15/2005, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Mike! I just don't want to get something that won't live. They look to be colorful at least...that's why I was asking.

Nirol, I think I like the newest ones better. They just seem to be more friendly and used to come right up to your face when you looked in the tank. They don't anymore since I put the seio in it. Plus they use the entire tank whereas the first set I got stay in a small section of the 90g tank. Rarely will they venture into a different space. Very rarely.

I rotate the food I give them. Every other day I put some frozen food in with the flakes, and I soak that in Zoe. About once a week, I'll add a few drops of garlic just for the heck of it. They eat regardless if there is garlic or not.