Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/17/2005, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Yes, crabs molt, so that's probably what you saw.
Nice fish list! I have the 2 clowns and the gramma.

I haven't even started with the new tank yet, with the exception of ordering the lights and return pump so far.
I'm seriously going to have a problem figuring out how to plumb it correctly.

In order to fit the tank into the house, we had to switch bedrooms, which we started this past week. Then of course that means painting, so that got done too.
Now there's just a little bit left to do (swap closets, etc) and THEN we'll be able to bring the tank into the house. It's in the shed now, so I don't see it...that makes it a little easier.
Once it gets in here, it will probably make me either hire someone to come do the plumbing, or get someone to at least tell me exactly what parts I need to buy, what sizes, and then I'll be able to do it.
I'm really excited and hope it works great. It will be fun to restock and experience that part all over again.
I'll also be able to scape it the way "I" want, so that's a big plus as far as I can see. The other tank is Bob's, and he likes the way it's aquascaped right now, so I can't really say too much. I just know I'd do it a little differently if it was mine.
Old 04/17/2005, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
you may want to check the "reef fishes" forum because i believe a bi-color would be aggressive to any similar looking fish (ie RG). otherwise your fish list looks good. make sure the 6-line goes in last
Why would the 6-line have to go in last? (I don't know much about fish either. )
Old 04/17/2005, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Why would the 6-line have to go in last? (I don't know much about fish either. )
I'm wondering the same thing myself
Old 04/17/2005, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
In order to fit the tank into the house, we had to switch bedrooms, which we started this past week. Then of course that means painting, so that got done too.
Wow ! Now that's dedication

Sounds like you're really excited. I can't wait to watch your new thread of "Pat's TBS"

Rgds,

Chris
Old 04/17/2005, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

the 6-line is the most aggressive, IMO. i havent had any dottybacks, so that may be the last one. i do know that 6-lines can e very aggressive. if you let the other fish get established first there is less of a chance that he will be aggressive. its best to add your most docile fish first then the more aggressive up to the most aggressive being last.
Old 04/17/2005, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

What looks like an urchin but covers itself in shells?

No, this is not a riddle. I just saw something like this along the front glass of my tank. I'd love to get a picture but it would be tough as it seems to be completely covered in pieces from the substrate.

Chris
Old 04/17/2005, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisnpa
No, this is not a riddle. I just saw something like this along the front glass of my tank. I'd love to get a picture but it would be tough as it seems to be completely covered in pieces from the substrate.
Chris
It could very well be an urchin. This is a picture of Jim's urchin. It covered itself pretty well!
Old 04/17/2005, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Since people are finding the baby c pods now, just so i know, can you see the eyes on the babies like you can the adults? I seen something darting around in the tank last night as i was looking for isopods but it was moving so fast there was no way i could tell what it was. Arthur found a hole on top of a rock that a gorilla is hanging out in. I wonder if i can lure him out with shrimp.
Old 04/17/2005, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
I hooked up my RO/DI yesterday morning and I was afraid of the pressure being too low and that seems like the case. The pressure for the most part stays just below 40 psi. The manual says it should be around 65 psi for best performance and anything less than 45 psi it will cut your production in half. It is a 35 GPD unit and right now the water just drips out. Its says it takes a few gallons to get the filters fully saturated then it may make more water but at that rate it will take me months to fill the tank. I didn't want to have to do it but it looks like I will have to get a booster pump to get the psi up. There goes another $200.
Dennis, check out Melev's Reef. Their booster pumps are under $200, I think.

Sally
Old 04/17/2005, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisnpa

Chris
It could be a pin cushion urchin. I just found one in our tank. Ours is white/pinkish in color.

Old 04/17/2005, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kidzatheart
Since people are finding the baby c pods now, just so i know, can you see the eyes on the babies like you can the adults? I seen something darting around in the tank last night as i was looking for isopods but it was moving so fast there was no way i could tell what it was. Arthur found a hole on top of a rock that a gorilla is hanging out in. I wonder if i can lure him out with shrimp.
Brian or greenbean is going to have to answer that one. I thought what I spotted were them, but now maybe they aren't according to greenbean. He based that on the description I gave, and I didn't see the big eyes. In all fairness, maybe the big eyes are on what I saw and my poor eyesight just doesn't let me see it. I am not sure at this point.
I guess I'll know soon enough if they are or aren't.

greenbean...do you know how quickly they grow up and get to be the size of the adults?
Old 04/17/2005, 04:35 PM
Robotic Overlord

Geez, these threads go way faster than I can keep up. My thread got split and it seems all the TBS threads have gotten split!

Dont you people have jobs
Old 04/17/2005, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It could very well be an urchin. This is a picture of Jim's urchin. It covered itself pretty well!
Here's a very bad picture of it.

The bowfront is killing me with taking pictures.

Chris

Old 04/17/2005, 04:50 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Quote:
Brian or greenbean is going to have to answer that one. I thought what I spotted were them, but now maybe they aren't according to greenbean. He based that on the description I gave, and I didn't see the big eyes. In all fairness, maybe the big eyes are on what I saw and my poor eyesight just doesn't let me see it. I am not sure at this point.
I guess I'll know soon enough if they are or aren't.
The larvae should look exactly like the adults except for size.

Quote:
greenbean...do you know how quickly they grow up and get to be the size of the adults?
Not a clue, but I'm sure it varies a good bit with water temp and feeding.
Old 04/17/2005, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Where on the PA page do they have them? I could just order it from them then, rather than US plastics. They sell them there for $17.38 for the threaded union ball valve. 5% off for 4 or more. I'd probably use 3 for the new tank.

You spent $220 for your RO/DI unit? That's steep considering it's only a 35gpd unit.
You may have already figured this out but here is the link for the valves: http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...ry_Code=Valves

I think I actually spent more than that because I got the deluxe one that has the pressure gauge and TDS meter already on it.
Old 04/17/2005, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lossman
Dennis, check out Melev's Reef. Their booster pumps are under $200, I think.

Sally
Premium Aquatics has it for $176. I was just rounding the price. TFP wants $224 for the same thing.
Old 04/17/2005, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dwculp
Geez, these threads go way faster than I can keep up. My thread got split and it seems all the TBS threads have gotten split!

Dont you people have jobs
Reading and posting on RC is about as addictive as this SW tank hobby.
Old 04/17/2005, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the link Dennis....wouldn't you know, they're out of the 1" threaded like I wanted to get.
Hmmm...they're out of the skimmer and those valves. Maybe it's telling to me to just wait a little longer!

Did you also get a TDS meter for the price you paid?

EDIT++++ Sorry, just saw it had the TDS meter attached to it.
Old 04/17/2005, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link Dennis....wouldn't you know, they're out of the 1" threaded like I wanted to get.
Hmmm...they're out of the skimmer and those valves. Maybe it's telling to me to just wait a little longer!

Did you also get a TDS meter for the price you paid?

EDIT++++ Sorry, just saw it had the TDS meter attached to it.
Your welcome. You could get the ones with the slip joint because they have those. If you ever had to replace it you just undo the unions and replace the valve part. Don't know how long you want to wait for the threaded ones.
Old 04/17/2005, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Your welcome. You could get the ones with the slip joint because they have those. If you ever had to replace it you just undo the unions and replace the valve part. Don't know how long you want to wait for the threaded ones.
I'll wait until yours is up and running and see how you like the way yours works....then I'll bug you to help me out!
Old 04/17/2005, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I'll wait until yours is up and running and see how you like the way yours works....then I'll bug you to help me out!
You wouldn't be bugging me. I just hope mine works out OK and I can help you with yours.
Old 04/17/2005, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
You wouldn't be bugging me. I just hope mine works out OK and I can help you with yours.
You say that now, but when the million questions start coming, you might change your mind.
I hope yours works out too...you've waited a long time to get everything done, and done the right way. Your whole setup looks awesome..from the tank, to sump to the stand & canopy. Your lights are done so neatly.

Did you get your gloves when you went to TFP on Friday?
Old 04/17/2005, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

on that boost pump, do a home depot or plumbing supply. a pet supplier has got to be more $
Old 04/17/2005, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
You say that now, but when the million questions start coming, you might change your mind.
I hope yours works out too...you've waited a long time to get everything done, and done the right way. Your whole setup looks awesome..from the tank, to sump to the stand & canopy. Your lights are done so neatly.

Did you get your gloves when you went to TFP on Friday?
Sure did! I got 2 pair so my daughter can help with the rock too.

I wonder how Phil made out yesterday at TFP?
Old 04/17/2005, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I wonder how Phil made out yesterday at TFP?
He's probably still there. He hasn't been heard from since yesterday morning before he left.

Bob may have a very valid point about the booster pump for the RO/DI. HD sells units, so I bet the also sell booster pumps for them!