Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/16/2005, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Brian, thanks for the tips...I'll see if I can do it. I'm really sorry there was more also....but it wasn't like I wasn't expecting it. After 3-4 weeks, I thought I might have just lucked out.
How did you count 215 babies when you can barely see them? I couldn't even get a good look at the 2 I saw last night.....the "darting" part made me realize what it was.

How long does it take them to grow larger so you can distinguish what they really are? Does anyone know how fast they grow up?
Old 04/16/2005, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Steve - nice rock work. youve got somw nice pieces so far also id cant wait to see it a year from now

Brian - you are the "cirolanid isopod hunter"! great tips!! im bookmarking the pages of your "Brian's Helpful Cirolanid Hunting Tips" to hopefully help out future padawan hunters
Old 04/16/2005, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the compliments! I can't wait to see it a year from now either. Almost everything I have in there are small frags that I'm sure will look incredible once they grow out.
Old 04/16/2005, 03:26 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Brian, thanks for the tips...I'll see if I can do it. I'm really sorry there was more also....but it wasn't like I wasn't expecting it. After 3-4 weeks, I thought I might have just lucked out.
How did you count 215 babies when you can barely see them? I couldn't even get a good look at the 2 I saw last night.....the "darting" part made me realize what it was.

How long does it take them to grow larger so you can distinguish what they really are? Does anyone know how fast they grow up?
Pat,

The 215 is an estimate. I would say that number is accurate to + or - 20. When I collect by siphon it is difficult to get an accurate count. When I collect by turkey baster I will collect 5 of them in a small plastic cup and then when I have 5 or more I transfer them to a larger bucket. I keep a running total in my head.

As far as I can tell mine aren't growing very fast. The first one I captured 2 or 3 weeks ago is just as big as the ones I captured last night. There is some variation, but so far they are staying small. That is good, means they aren't finding much food!

Landon,
Yeah, thanks for keeping track of them...I'm too lazy to bookmark today.

Brian
Old 04/16/2005, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

You're still catching them? Wow, I thought you were finished up. I'm going to make my first peeks in a little while.
Old 04/16/2005, 05:29 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
You're still catching them? Wow, I thought you were finished up. I'm going to make my first peeks in a little while.
I'm still catching the babies, I haven't seen an adult in over a week now(knock on wood). Even though the counts vary, there is a downward trend in the numbers I'm catching each night, so I hope that means the worst is over.

According to Dr Ron's estimate of starvation time, I've got another 30 or so days to go before the last ones begin to croak.

B.
Old 04/16/2005, 05:30 PM
Moved On

why catch them if there gonna die anyways?
Old 04/16/2005, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by browardreefer
why catch them if there gonna die anyways?
Because if he doesn't, they'll just keep reproducing and it will be a never ending problem.
Old 04/16/2005, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Hi everyone. I had to be up early this morning to be at a meeting that is like 1 & 1/2 hours from home but i decided i was not going to bed until i caught atleast one of them isopods. I kept going back and watching the tank with my red led flash light and my turkey baster. I finally seen just the one. Well my 1st attempt to get the little bugger i missed him. I left and came back a few hours later and i was able to catch the one. I saved him in a little cup to show Arthur i finally caught me one. I know there is atleast one more in there that i have seen. I was up until 5am to catch that one. I wanna try and make sure i get all the bad things out now so it wont be so much to get out when we order part 2.

Now that this part is cycled and the only bad things i have seen so far is one more isopod and 1 more gorilla crab, do you think it would be ok to put a feather duster into this tank?
Old 04/16/2005, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Pat,

I know you were looking at switching to Kent, but I can't remember what you use currently and why you wanted to try the switch. Since your lfs doesn't carry Kent, what did you decide to do?

Marianna
Old 04/16/2005, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luckiM
Pat,
I know you were looking at switching to Kent, but I can't remember what you use currently and why you wanted to try the switch. Since your lfs doesn't carry Kent, what did you decide to do?
Marianna
Currently using Oceanic and not like the low alk, high calc. Also lots of brown diatoms, and it's hard to dose the right amounts.
Another LFS further away has the Kent, so I went there on Tuesday and they said I had to order it, so I ordered 2 buckets and it was supposed to be in late Thursday. They haven't called me yet to say it was in, so if I don't hear from them by Monday, I'll call to see what the story is. We still have about a third of a bucket of Oceanic left. Once we get the Kent, I'll mix ½ & ½ for future water changes until the Oceanic is gone.

If I ever get the new tank set up, I'll just use the Kent right from the start.
Old 04/16/2005, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

When do things quit spitting stuff into the water column? Every time I look at the tank, something is spitting a pile of crud into the water. It looks like a mini snowstorm at times! I'd love to get crystal clear water...or close to it....but if things keep eating the rock and spitting debris into the tank, it looks like that will never happen.
Old 04/16/2005, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kidzatheart
Hi everyone. I had to be up early this morning to be at a meeting that is like 1 & 1/2 hours from home but i decided i was not going to bed until i caught atleast one of them isopods. I kept going back and watching the tank with my red led flash light and my turkey baster. I finally seen just the one. Well my 1st attempt to get the little bugger i missed him. I left and came back a few hours later and i was able to catch the one. I saved him in a little cup to show Arthur i finally caught me one. I know there is atleast one more in there that i have seen. I was up until 5am to catch that one. I wanna try and make sure i get all the bad things out now so it wont be so much to get out when we order part 2.

Now that this part is cycled and the only bad things i have seen so far is one more isopod and 1 more gorilla crab, do you think it would be ok to put a feather duster into this tank?
Lori, glad to hear you got one out at least! Did you take a picture of it? How did you finally catch it?
I don't think it would be a mortal sin to put a feather duster in now, but why don't you just wait until after you get part 2 and it's totally cycled? Less stress on it and you'll be feeding the tank by then. Usually a bunch of feather dusters come with the TBS. (probably not the huge ones like you want to add though)
Old 04/16/2005, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lossman
When do things quit spitting stuff into the water column? Every time I look at the tank, something is spitting a pile of crud into the water. It looks like a mini snowstorm at times! I'd love to get crystal clear water...or close to it....but if things keep eating the rock and spitting debris into the tank, it looks like that will never happen.
I don't think they stop until the die Sally. If it's not a clam/bi-valve, it's worms in the sand doing it, right?
Old 04/16/2005, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't think they stop until the die Sally. If it's not a clam/bi-valve, it's worms in the sand doing it, right?
Lord, it seems like any little thing that lives or thinks it's living is spitting stuff into the water! Our nitrates are still in the low 40 range in spite of water changes and no feedings.

On the plus side, we did finally got a lot of the water racket stopped! We should be putting the canopy on tomorrow with the rest of the lighting (if Brett and I can lift the thing!!) Then we just need to start setting the traps regularly so we can catch those half dozen gorilla crabs, the mantis' and perhaps some bristle worms. Maybe next April we can add a fish or two!!

It's a never ending battle.
Old 04/16/2005, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

i've had pt 1 for 9 weeks and things are always spurting,spitting white clouds of poo
Old 04/16/2005, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garagebrian
I'm still catching the babies, I haven't seen an adult in over a week now(knock on wood). Even though the counts vary, there is a downward trend in the numbers I'm catching each night, so I hope that means the worst is over.
B.
How easy are these things to see after dark? Being that we've all received our TBS around the same time, I've been worried that I may have them as well. That being said, I haven't seen anything suspicious in the tank. I've been looking sporadically after lights out just not with a flashlight as my moon lights keep the tank lit enough to see if anything's afoot.

Does it sound like I probably don't have any?

Thx,

cs
Old 04/16/2005, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

i got my pt 1 in feb and i've never seen one, thank god!
Old 04/16/2005, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

I think I got mine the same day you did Bob...I've only caught/seen one so far....I'm hoping part two doesn't bring more!

I caught mine about 1 hour after the lights went out. It was on the front glass but initially looked like a speck on the glass until I looked closer & saw the dark black eyes....creepy
Old 04/16/2005, 09:19 PM
Moved On

dont worry about the little evil bugs :P if they dont have food they cant reproduce to many more times. ( yeah they cna have babies w/o food but the babies will have never had food and wont be able to reproduce .
Old 04/16/2005, 09:21 PM
Moved On

instead of talking aobut catching htme lets think of a way to keep them out of the tnak,

do any of you dip ur rock in high salinity water.
Old 04/16/2005, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Chris, I have only seen these out at night. The ones i have seen come out a few hours after the lights have been off.

I took a pic of the one i was able to catch last night. I assume this is an adult? What i did to catch it is, i seen it on the sand against the glass so i squeezed my turkey baster before i stuck it into the water. When i got it close to the pod i released it and it sucked him right up. My camera does not take good close up pics but you can still kinda see it. I know i have atleast one more so i will be looking for it tonight. I am hoping i only have the one more left.

Old 04/16/2005, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kidzatheart
IMO, i wouldnt add anything until after the second half is cycled. as Pat stated why out anything through an ammonia spike?
Old 04/16/2005, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lossman
just think of all the live things in/on your rock and

if you put more current it will take it away faster
Old 04/16/2005, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisnpa
How easy are these things to see after dark? Being that we've all received our TBS around the same time, I've been worried that I may have them as well. That being said, I haven't seen anything suspicious in the tank. I've been looking sporadically after lights out just not with a flashlight as my moon lights keep the tank lit enough to see if anything's afoot.

Does it sound like I probably don't have any?

Thx,

cs

ive been worried as well! i would look after lights out and check in the darker corners. if they are sensative to light (big black eyes, running from lights, etc..) then they may only stay in the darker areas.