Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2005, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sierra
My Father lives in Sarasota Florida and is not far from Tampa.... He had offered to go to TBS for me and make a few rock selections when I am ready for my order - Is this something that TBS allows... they would still be in charge of the shipping and most of the selections but My dad wanted to help out by maybe calling dibs on a rock or 2 for me.
i dont think they would have a problem with this, as nice as theyve been to me. i would take my chances with them picking though. check out the TBS forum, you could ask there or call them. also, check this out the TBS forum, i think i remember some people from Tampa saying they didnt think the rock in the display was as good as what gets shipped. i think they may keep the leftovers in the store and send out the good stuff. thats just my insight to heresay though.

Landon
Old 01/07/2005, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

Pistol shrimp look like crabs?
Old 01/07/2005, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sierra
My Father lives in Sarasota Florida and is not far from Tampa.... He had offered to go to TBS for me and make a few rock selections when I am ready for my order - Is this something that TBS allows... they would still be in charge of the shipping and most of the selections but My dad wanted to help out by maybe calling dibs on a rock or 2 for me.
They are only open to the public on Saturday's. Check out their web site for the hours.
Old 01/07/2005, 01:51 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Pistol shrimp look like crabs?
No, but I couldnt really get a good look at the picture. Just looks like a blob to me
Old 01/07/2005, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Dave,
are these what you are callin hidden cup corals?
Old 01/07/2005, 02:01 PM
Robotic Overlord

Yep.
Old 01/07/2005, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Just an FYI. I plan to go to TBS tomorrow and have a looksie. I'll see what the rock looks like compared to Pat's.

There. An opportunity to contribute to the thread.

Old 01/07/2005, 02:06 PM
Moved On

thx, I think I'll just tell my dad to save the gas and time... He just really wants to help me out somehow... he has buddies who dive and had offered to go get me some live rock on their own... I had to Throw the red flag up and say NO NO NO - bad bad dont even think about it. after I gave him the lecture about the environment and the laws designed to protect it he felt badly about even offering... but he didnt know so he offered to try and help other ways. I'm sure any of the diver friends he has would have told him no anyway as they DO KNOW the laws.

So LR is a strict no no to just take, I knew that before I even began working on a reef idea.... anyone know about sand tho?

It would be cool if he could get me some sand out of the siesta Key Area.... But only if its safe, legal, and not going to harm or disturb anything. hell even if it is legal I'd have to be sure that its not gonna be detrimental in anyway to the environment there.

The Fact that I do not know is probably a good reason NOT TO. But I figured I'd throw out the questions anyway.
Old 01/07/2005, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

It's a little hard to crop and enlarge the picture without totally distorting it. I did somewhat enlarge it, but have to wait for photobucket to allow me to get access to my page.

The crab is beigeish in color, with dots that have purple tips on the ends. It's claws are dark only on the tips. The claws are kind of pointy too.
Old 01/07/2005, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

Sierra, some people have been successful using sand from the ocean floor. i dont know the laws on it though. i have tons of beach here where i could get some nice sand, but i dont trust the run-off. what else in the water that couls contaminate your tank. the ocean has a lot more water to dilute polution than a small SW system is going to have. if it can be collected from a legal, very remote area, i would give it a wirl.

for a good resource, your fathers diving buddies can collect all sorts of crabs, shrimp, and fish for you. im pretty sure all you need is a FL fishing liscense. of course the divers prolly know those laws too. a free diverse clean-up crew would be cool. hey if you go with TBS you could make a real neat bio-type, with all southern FL livestock.

Landon
Old 01/07/2005, 02:19 PM
eating my reef

I believe that sand is also protected in Florida under the same statutes that protect live rock and reef animals. It is listed specifically in some of the regs but not in others (you can look this up on the Florida DEP website). Frankly, they dont make it easy to figure out whats legal to collect down there. I have done some collecting down your way, even taking the time to seek out FMP and DEP guys to hear their take on the laws and let them know what I was planning on doing. While everyone I spoke to was really friendly and very nice, many of them do not even know what the law says. A little scary that a Yankee with an internet connection can come down there with a better understanding of the law than these guys that are supposed to enforce it. I guess the training emphasis is on sport fishing regs and law enforcement/safety issues for them so you really cant blame them....blame the State of Florida I guess.
Old 01/07/2005, 02:24 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
Sierra, some people have been successful using sand from the ocean floor. i dont know the laws on it though. i have tons of beach here where i could get some nice sand, but i dont trust the run-off. what else in the water that couls contaminate your tank. the ocean has a lot more water to dilute polution than a small SW system is going to have. if it can be collected from a legal, veryremote area, i would give it a wirl.

for a good resource, your fathers diving buddies can collect all sorts of crabs, shrimp, and fish for you. im pretty sure all you need is a FL fishing liscense. of course the divers prolly know those laws too. a free diverse clean-up crew would be cool. hey if you go with TBS you could make a real neat bio-type, with all southern FL livestock.

Landon

Well they for sure have fishing licenses - I know my dad does he has a fishing boat... so I would assume a license as well. That would be extra cool to get some critters - and for sure these guys would do a good job picking out neat creatures.

The Sand on the beach at siesta key is very white and fine- I wouldnt want them to take it from the beach anyway but even in the waters a few miles out from siesta key have some gorgeous sand.

contamination..... hmmmm...... dont want to risk that. But Free Creatures would be cool!
Old 01/07/2005, 02:28 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Meisen
I believe that sand is also protected in Florida under the same statutes that protect live rock and reef animals. It is listed specifically in some of the regs but not in others (you can look this up on the Florida DEP website). Frankly, they dont make it easy to figure out whats legal to collect down there. I have done some collecting down your way, even taking the time to seek out FMP and DEP guys to hear their take on the laws and let them know what I was planning on doing. While everyone I spoke to was really friendly and very nice, many of them do not even know what the law says. A little scary that a Yankee with an internet connection can come down there with a better understanding of the law than these guys that are supposed to enforce it. I guess the training emphasis is on sport fishing regs and law enforcement/safety issues for them so you really cant blame them....blame the State of Florida I guess.
well I dont need any trouble and would hate to be repsonsible for causing any trouble or breaking those laws that protect the animals and ecosystems we all love.

Better safe then sorry on all accounts. More research is definitely in order.
Old 01/07/2005, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

Landon,
FexEx just picked up your Mantis. He's on his way.
Old 01/07/2005, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

Is this any better to see and/or ID?

Old 01/07/2005, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The Sand on the beach at siesta key is very white and fine- I wouldnt want them to take it from the beach anyway but even in the waters a few miles out from siesta key have some gorgeous sand.
I have traveled ALOT and i think Siesta Key has the most beautiful sand in the entire world.

I wonder if it would settle down in a tank?

Rockker
Old 01/07/2005, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

YES!!! and yes, but i still cant tell what it is....
Old 01/07/2005, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockker
I wonder if it would settle down in a tank?

i dont know how fine the sand is, but i have some sugar sized aragonite in my 75 at work. with 1980gph flow, the sand doesnt stay in one place long. it is getting better as my bacteria is building up, but its still not settling totally yet.
Old 01/07/2005, 04:11 PM
Moved On

you know the sand on the beach is much finer and whiter then the sand a few miles offshore... but still gorgeous.

I suppose the only way yo know is to test it... if its legal. If It is legal I'll give it a try and see.

Siesta key is most defeintely a Breathtaking beach - if only it had less tourist traffic. I used to live in Sarasota as well and although I loved that beach I chose to go to other beaches just to miss the crowds.
Old 01/07/2005, 04:15 PM
hookt on fonix

Hey pat,
Great looking rock. I am going to be needing around 150 pounds of LR for a tank I am slowly getting set up, I am planning on doing it FOWLR. My question is how much was the shipping cost per box to your location and did you pick it up at the airport? Just wondering if I would be better off picking up at the airport versus having FedEx deliver it to my home from Live Aquaria.com. The airport in Milwaukee is like 45 minutes from me and would not mind the drive as long as it is not a big hastle to pick it up and such.
Old 01/07/2005, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

My cost to Columbus Ohio was $35 a hundred pounds non-stop from Southwest Air.

I got the 55 package.

First shipment was $62
Second shipment $47

FedEx would have been over triple that, plus i got my stuff same day as packed in water.

Rockker
Old 01/07/2005, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Limpit
Hey pat,
Great looking rock. I am going to be needing around 150 pounds of LR for a tank I am slowly getting set up, I am planning on doing it FOWLR. My question is how much was the shipping cost per box to your location and did you pick it up at the airport? Just wondering if I would be better off picking up at the airport versus having FedEx deliver it to my home from Live Aquaria.com. The airport in Milwaukee is like 45 minutes from me and would not mind the drive as long as it is not a big hastle to pick it up and such.
It's cheaper to have it shipped by the airlines than with FedEx. I had the 90 gallon package.
Mine had a weight of 280lbs. It was in 6 boxes. The shipping cost was $122.19
My 2nd shipment won't weigh as much since I won't be getting and sand, so that will be less than this time.
Mine was shipped Southwest and from what I have been reading here on RC, Southwest seems to be a little cheaper than some other airlines.
Plus one of the benefits of airlines is you get it that day in a matter of hours. It doesn't sit around all night in some cold hanger.
Old 01/07/2005, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Southwest now charges a fuel surcharge, so maybe that is why it was a little more.
Old 01/07/2005, 04:25 PM
hookt on fonix

Rockker,
Sounds like airport is the way to go. I used to work for a fish wholesaler and can remember waiting till all hours of the night for the phone to ring from air cargo to tell us our stuff had arrived. I guess that is what I am trying to avoid. Does TBS tell you what flight your rock will be on and can you request a certain time frame for the flight? I would hate to be at work with the airport calling me to come and pick up my rock.
Old 01/07/2005, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

The give you an airbill number so you will know what flight it's on. I wanted mine to go on a nonstop flight, and they worked with me on that one. They're pretty good down there.