Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2005, 11:28 PM
Premium Member

Okay wait Jason.....did you order it already? I thought you didn't because you bought a house?
Old 01/07/2005, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Congrats on spotting that mantis before introduction to the tank.... nice stuff for base rock! wow.
Old 01/07/2005, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

I haven't seen much in the way of critters at all. All I can see is the rock. There is no life in the sand that I can see so far. I was commenting to my husband that I didn't see any life besides what was on the rock when I did hear a clicking sound. It didn't really dawn on me that this was the "clicking" sound I have heard so much about......then all of a sudden, I said to my husband...."OMG hear that click"? Something is hiding in that rock!!
Old 01/07/2005, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

What equipment are you using Pat?

That rock is awesome. If I wasn't totally sold on TBS, I am now. That stuff blows away any other rock I've seen at LFS's to this point. You said 4 big rocks + sand? Not sure I would consider those "base" from my newbie knowledge. :-)

Also, noticed in the front left corner of your tank, the substrate seems much whiter. Is that simply a "light" effect?
Old 01/07/2005, 07:54 AM
Premium Member

We have a Mag12 for the return, an MRC skimmer, a Tunze stream for flow and T-5 lighting.

The whiter substrate in the left hand corner is some figi pink sand we put in.....just in case any of the fish we put in prefer a finer substrate.

We haven't even given much thought as to what fish we'll stock, but at least now we don't have to worry about the type of sand.
Old 01/07/2005, 07:57 AM
forever newbie

I wish I had started with TBS. Would be a great excuse to start another tank.
Old 01/07/2005, 08:00 AM
Tang? What Tang!

sounds like you have another mantis, if you know which rock it is coming from for sure, put it in the sump and try to catch him, I am sure Landon would like another
Old 01/07/2005, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

It's not a loud click....almost like someone snapping their fingers. I also have no idea what rock it's coming from. I can't see any life in the tank yet. (critter wise)
Old 01/07/2005, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

If you hear clicking, you should nail this guy before your "pretty stuff" comes.

About seeing new things, some creatures I am seeing for the first time and mine is almost 5 months old.

I bet I ended up with 20 or so crabs of different variety. maybe 15 different star fish.

Also remember, sponges do not need a lot of light. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Rockker
Old 01/07/2005, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

If I could figure out where the clicking was coing from, maybe we couold do something about it. I have heard it from both sides of the tank at different times. So either there is more than 1 or he is moving back and forth.

I have spotten some really mini crabs. No worms or anything yet.
Old 01/07/2005, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

How's the water clearing up?

Sounds like only supplemental filtration folks are using is the skimmer. Wet/dry will be off my list for the time being. That'll save me a couple of hundred bucks.

Old 01/07/2005, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

The water is looking nice and clear. Bob will do the first water test in a little while.
Old 01/07/2005, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

looks great Pat!! i finally caught up. your tagged

Landon
Old 01/07/2005, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lossman
Sounds like only supplemental filtration folks are using is the skimmer. Wet/dry will be off my list for the time being. That'll save me a couple of hundred bucks.
When we ordered the tank, we were planning on fresh water, so got it with a wet/dry. I joined a few Yahoo aquarium groups and was told wet/dry's were nitrate factories, and to go with LR instead.
So I did an Internet search for LR and came upon the TBS site. I clicked the link on the TBS site showing what RC members thought about it. The infamous wooglin thread. It was then I knew the TBS was what I wanted. I showed my husband the thread (being it is his tank to begin with) and he was amazed also.
So when the tank came, we took the bio balls out and we're using the wet/dry as a sump. It would be nicer if we had baffles in it to cut down on the microbubbles from the skimmer, but it is what it is and we have to work with what we've got for now.
We're using an external skimmer, so Bob put a few BH's into the side of the sump for the skimmer plumbing.
Old 01/07/2005, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

BH's?
Sorry, still learning the lingo.
Old 01/07/2005, 09:25 AM
Premium Member

Bulk Heads
Old 01/07/2005, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Are Bulk Heads the same as Power Heads? Never seen that term used for aquariums.
Old 01/07/2005, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

No, BH's are what goes on the glass or acrylic that are openings you connect the plumbing pipes to for the flow of water in and out of a tank.
Power heads move the water around.

Powerheads use electricity. Bulkheads, once installed are just holes in the tank
Old 01/07/2005, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
No, BH's are what goes on the glass or acrylic that are openings you connect the plumbing pipes to for the flow of water in and out of a tank.
Power heads move the water around.

Powerheads use electricity. Bulkheads, once installed are just holes in the tank
Ah OK
Old 01/07/2005, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

if youve ever worked on boats you prolly know them as "thru-hull" fittings. it confused me for a long time when i started reading on this board. on a boat a bulkhead is a wall.

Landon
Old 01/07/2005, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

yup
Old 01/07/2005, 09:55 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by lossman
BH's?
Sorry, still learning the lingo.
A picture worth a thousand words so here you go:
Old 01/07/2005, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

That rock looks great!! I'm sold on TBS and I live in Tampa... So I can pick it up when ready....

Now all I have to do is get the tank, cut out the wall, build the stand and all the rest setup and be ready to go... It will be a while for me... As I'm putting a 210 in the wall over my couch. That will take me sometime to get done.

Your making me jealous Pat your way ahead of me...

Good luck...
Old 01/07/2005, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Woolyg
That rock looks great!! I'm sold on TBS and I live in Tampa... So I can pick it up when ready....

Now all I have to do is get the tank, cut out the wall, build the stand and all the rest setup and be ready to go... It will be a while for me... As I'm putting a 210 in the wall over my couch. That will take me sometime to get done.

Your making me jealous Pat your way ahead of me...

Good luck...
Gary,
I sat here for months envious of everyone's TBS. I am glad I am finally able to be part of the club now.
Old 01/07/2005, 10:14 AM
Premium Member

Gary, 210 in-wal, behind couch, TBS.....sounds awesome. should be a project to say the least. i want to put a tank in wall so bad, but my wife doesnt trust my carpentry. she also doesnt want a month long project, keeping our living room a mess for 8 months she knows me pretty well, id say.

Landon