Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/14/2004, 08:43 AM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Anyone know a good place for reflectors? Do they run for a lot?
Old 10/14/2004, 11:29 AM
Reef Mania

Talk to greg at ReefGeek.com, he is a great resource for what he sells besides just selling the items. He can usually help your out on your decisions for what your trying to do to see if it will work.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 10/14/2004, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Lots of good information. I will probably play around with reflectors and do some DIY stuff with the hood (such as removing two lights space them out better). I may completely re-design the hood with different reflectors. This brings up the question of how everybody is measuring light at the depths of their tank - do you have a meter or are you doing it with the naked eye?

This technology is wild - I was impressed with the reef hobby when I saw protein skimming and calcium reactors - but I had no idea lighting was such a big (and expensive) part. Spending $150 for a protien skimmer is nothing compared to lighting.

I appreciate all the assistance form everyone. My first 6 months in this hobby I just went on the advice of the LFS ... boy was that a mistake, they are clueless! I am quite confident they just make things up as they go. This forum is a life saver!

Not so much a newbie anymore - but still knowing just enough to be a threat to marine life everywhere!

Kart Racing, BMW's and Reef Keeping - I need to find cheaper obsessions.
Old 10/14/2004, 03:32 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by gliebig
It seems like everyone i've heard using T-5's has a "smaller" tank. I am in the process of moving from a 55 to a 125 gallon. How would a T-5 setup work for a 6ft long tank? Seems like a lot of $$$ for the setup and replacing that many bulbs.

** OK. Did a little research and answered my question. I found this setup on reefgeek. http://www.reefgeek.com./products/ca...ng/104074.html

$1K. ouch. One thing i couldn't find is how many ballasts this comes with./ how many bulbs for each ballast
My system from reefgeek uses two Ice Cap 660 ballasts, one per every three lamps. That overdrives the bulbs towards 100 watts according to Ice Cap. If your canopy is anything like mine you are going to be tight on space so 6 5 foot lamps is all you can cram in there. If you can manage the space stagger the lamps a few inches to the left and right so you don't get the dark spots at the upper edges of the tank.
Old 10/14/2004, 05:48 PM
SPS Freak

Question for you:

Why buy T-5's if they cost more then MH? I can do a 48" Setup of MH for under 375 dollars consiting of 500 total watts spread over 2 bulbs. It appears T-5's cost more. 24" used setup for almost 400 dollars just seems alot.

Is it because of the lack of heat? Maybe I'm missing something but I'd rather have the shimmer, the stronger light and a couple fans for cooling and save half the money. I understand regular electricity costs are cheaper and bulbs are replaced less often, but usually what hinders people is the initial cost.
Old 10/14/2004, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

T5 Pic's I promised

Here is the 4x54w T5 setup I got for $150.

Old 10/14/2004, 06:45 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

I guess my lights DO come with reflectors!
Old 10/14/2004, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jay24k
Question for you:

Why buy T-5's if they cost more then MH? I can do a 48" Setup of MH for under 375 dollars consiting of 500 total watts spread over 2 bulbs. It appears T-5's cost more. 24" used setup for almost 400 dollars just seems alot.

Is it because of the lack of heat? Maybe I'm missing something but I'd rather have the shimmer, the stronger light and a couple fans for cooling and save half the money. I understand regular electricity costs are cheaper and bulbs are replaced less often, but usually what hinders people is the initial cost.

Heat and space under the canopy, you need to be able to keep halide bulbs higher off the water. Long term T5's are cheaper to operate because they use less electricity and the bulbs last twice as long,
Old 10/14/2004, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

The Grim Reefer basically explained why I chose T5's over MH's. I see that your MH's are under your hood (about 4" off of your tank). Here in California I could not run a setup like that without a chiller. I had a hard time keeping my 75 gallon below 80 degrees with only 220W of PC. Even with the new T5's I am going to battle cooling, I wouldn't even want to consider 500W of MH under there.

I paid $400 for over 400W of T5 in a hood, granted, that's not a Tek-Light and may be the start of a DIY deal by the time I'm done, but hey - it's 400w. :-) I like the idea of not having to replace the bulbs for 18months.

Not so much a newbie anymore - but still knowing just enough to be a threat to marine life everywhere!

Kart Racing, BMW's and Reef Keeping - I need to find cheaper obsessions.
Old 10/14/2004, 08:28 PM
Reef Mania

My buddy just got the Tek-Light 48" 8 bulb for his 90 gallon and with bulbs it was just over 600.00. A similar MH with VHO, or T5's or PC suppliments for Actinic purposes was $650-$700. Yes you can find them for $550, but that is without MH bulbs, the good bulbs will run you $50 each at a minimum. Now you have to worry about heat and the Canopy to fit them at least 10" above the tank. Then the Fans and possibly a chiller to keep them cool!

I ran over this stuff a million times in my head and think I made a good choice going with the T5's for my setup.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 10/14/2004, 08:31 PM
Reef Mania

I am only running the 4 bulbs over a 36x18x20 tank, and there is plenty of light in there to go around.

It is very bright when looking at it, and that is without a 6k Sun Bulb and just running 2 11K for sunlight with the Actinic 03 and Blue Plus for suppliments to bring out the corals color.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 10/14/2004, 11:44 PM
RC Staff
American

I'm toying with the idea of using T-5s, but most certainly not as a replacement for my halides.
If I do try them, they'll replace my VHOs and merely be a supplement to my halides.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 10/15/2004, 12:44 AM
NAME'S JR IM A REEFAHOLIC

I couldnt agree with RJ more. You are the reason why I went with the T-5s in the first place and I couldnt be happier. I have a Tek Light with 6 blubs for my 75. I have to say that with all of them lit up I dont need any other lights in the room! These lights put out just a STUPID amound of light. The Parobolic Reflectors are what makes this happen. I mean Common everyone is looking to make or save money, and to get a great light that you only have to replace a bulb every 12-18 months with a 2 year garuntee..... well. ......... it dont get MUCH (i said MUCH) better than that!

Yes I know it is spelled wrong but Junior was already taken.

Life may suck but the alternative is unacceptable
Old 10/15/2004, 03:54 AM
Registered Member

Nice Tank.... superb!
Old 10/15/2004, 08:09 AM
reefaholic

'replace a bulb every 12-18 months' - Icecap says (after testing) that you only need to relamp after 2 years if you use their ballast instead of the normal ballasts.

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 10/15/2004, 09:14 AM
Reef Mania

Interesting on the bulb life using the Icecap Ballast. The ATI bulb vendor themself said the Sun 6k will last 2 years, but the Aquablue, Actinic 03, and Blue Plus need replacing every 14-18 months.

Here are some more pictures!

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 10/15/2004, 09:20 AM
reefaholic

Nice pics!

Icecap uses a different technology than the standard ballasts - they don't use the filaments at all, and use very high-frequency.

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 10/15/2004, 09:46 AM
Reef Mania

Thanks Obi-dad, I just love my T5's.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 10/15/2004, 10:03 AM
Reef Mania

Re: T5 Lighting May Be For You

Quote:

Here above is the old picture with 24" 96w T5's and the new picture with 36" 156w T5's and a little bluer look for bulb choice. I think the new bulbs are pretty much burned in now as some of the blue is taken off as you can see by the picture below. I think all the corals are adjusted to the lighting change because they are really starting to look good and grow.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 10/15/2004, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DgenR8
I'm toying with the idea of using T-5s, but most certainly not as a replacement for my halides.
If I do try them, they'll replace my VHOs and merely be a supplement to my halides.
Why are you thinking of replacing the VHO's? I know most people who have seen both say T5's actinics don't come close to URI's.

Obi-Dad
You have a chance to take any T5 measurments yet?
Old 10/15/2004, 04:56 PM
Reef Mania

There are alot of people liking the Blue Plus bulbs especially for SPS tanks, because they bring out the Blue in hard corals. This is something people want more than the Actinic. Plus only having to replace a Blue Suppliment bulb every year and half or 2 years compared to every 6 months is another big reason.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 10/15/2004, 05:14 PM

I am getting an inferiority complex looking at the colors of some of your corals wilson. I have a lot of LPS cause I like the movement but they are mostly the fleshy colors. I guess it is time to open the wallet and get some colorful critters like yours.

This picture doesn't do justice to the color I am getting but this is a shot of a Favia under my blue submersible lamp. It is a 40 watt fluorescent that appears to be a 36" T8 lamp enclosed in a larger glass tube.

Old 10/15/2004, 06:09 PM
reefaholic

I was planning on finishing the canopy so I can take measurements on sunday - but I was given 2 tickets to the Patriots game. Now I'm looking at early next week.
Old 10/15/2004, 06:10 PM
SPS Freak

VHO have to be replaced around 9 months to a year depending on usage. Most use 12 hours a day for dawn/dusk so usually they get replaced at 9 months. I think the VHO's give a nice blue but the T-5's are really nice too. In the end it's all about how it looks imo. I'm going to try those Aquaconnects 14k and see how it looks. Supposebly, they are really nice bulbs even beating some of the 10K's out in par values.
Old 10/15/2004, 06:55 PM
Reef Mania

I think that looks pretty darn good Grim Reefer. I will have to get a picture of my stuff under actinics.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting