Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 09/07/2005, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

my condi has trippled in size as has my curlycue. i feed them 2x a week. so far no problems that i can see
Old 09/07/2005, 08:04 AM
Robotic Overlord

I have one Condy that is HUGE. When he is in full bloom (for lack of a better word) his disk is at least 8 inches and his tentacles stretch from him all the way to the top of the tank. He actually makes the tank look really cool.
Old 09/07/2005, 08:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dwculp
I have one Condy that is HUGE. When he is in full bloom (for lack of a better word) his disk is at least 8 inches and his tentacles stretch from him all the way to the top of the tank. He actually makes the tank look really cool.
I couldn't handle something that big blocking that much of my tank and hiding my corals. Mine had gotten fairly big but not that big.
Old 09/07/2005, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

i would sat mine is around 8" also, this in a 33 long
Old 09/07/2005, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Ours is closer to 12" across. It's face would cover the palm of my hand. Of course, with a 150g tank, we have lots of room for it and it really is an awesome sight. It's quite the showpiece of our tank at this time.
Old 09/07/2005, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

I'm with you Dennis. If the Condy gets too big, I'll need to find it another home.
Old 09/07/2005, 07:59 PM
Robotic Overlord

Pods galore, a scared lawnmower blenny and the return of the brown crud!!

I have the worlds most timid Lawnmower Blenny, he is really large but hides in the same spot in the QT tank ALL DAY LONG!! I have NEVER seen him out in almost a month. Tonight I finally saw him perched on a rock when the classroom lights were out. I moved to look at the tank and he darted like lightning to his hiding spot. I am almost afraid to put him in the display tank, maybe with more hiding spots in the display tank he will feel more comfortable.

While I was lloking at the QT tank I noticed I had TONS of pods all over the glass, super thick over the three display sides. I have never had any LR or anything of the sort in the tank, the only thing I can think of is I probably got a little reef tank water into the QT tank via an eyedropper (I use an eye dropper to take water samples and feed) that had some pods and they bred like rabbits.

The brown crud returns. In the right front corner of the tank I can see the brown crud returning, it ALWAYS starts there, always then creeps forward and left. I think it is a flow issue as it isnt growing anywhere else. Im gonna get a powerhead and direct it towards that corner. Otherwise it isnt growing anywhere else. Im cutting lights to 4 hours a day.
Old 09/07/2005, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

pat you have a pm.

dw - I agree the live sand is fantastic but I can't help but wonder if that was what introduced the cirolanid into my tank. Both of mine arrived in part one.
Old 09/07/2005, 08:12 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Nudibranch Update

Hey all,

I just had my upper wisdom teeth pulled today, so if I say anything weird, it is the drugs!

I had to get online for an exciting update:

The adults eat another species of aiptasia different from the first aiptasia tested:

Here they are feasting. This aiptasia was larger than the large adult when expanded, but it only took the 2 adults 1 hour and 15 minutes to eat it:

I have begun filtering the water used for hatching the eggs(to eliminate predators) and when I was transfering the latest batch of eggs over, I accidentially induced a hatching. I've attached a picture at 4x magnification. I'm slightly optomistic as the newly hatched babies were visible to the naked eye and I have smaller aiptasia for them to feed on now. At least I know the eggs are viable now as they were moving around in the water. Each little white dot is a baby nudibranch.

Brian
Old 09/08/2005, 07:14 AM
Soul of a Sailor

Wow, those are some awesome pictures! I'm sure Dr. Rudman will be excited to see them. It would be interesting to take a few out and preserve them in alcohol so you can look at them under a microscope and see for sure what kind of larvae they are.
Old 09/08/2005, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

Brian....amazing pictures! I enjoy hearing everything you're doing with these nudi's so much! Thanks so much for keeping us updated.

Feel better with your recent oral surgery! I know how that feels.
Old 09/08/2005, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

i think my lawnmower blenny is gone. i don't think there was enough food for him in the tbs tank. when i saw him loosing weight i tried seaweed on the clip and stuck under rocks but he never touched it. he was always picking on the rock but there was no green algea and he wouldn't touch the red.
Old 09/08/2005, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

I got the battery powered vacuum today and tried it out. It worked great for cleaning the gunk off the bottom of the sump.
I ran into one slight problem. I never thought about turning the skimmer off, and for whatever reason, the collection cup filled with water, overflowed, and now the whole tank is cloudy. Thank goodness I had cleaned out the cup yesterday or there would be more of a mess.
I'll have to figure out just how to use this vacuum thing. It didn't come with directions. But I do like it!!
Old 09/08/2005, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Pat, does your vaccumn have the fabric collection bag or is it one that attaches to a hose that siphons the dirt and water out of the tank?
Old 09/08/2005, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

It has a little bag I connected to it. Well, not connected to it. I put the bag that came with it onto a place it should be attached to.
Old 09/08/2005, 11:43 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean36191
Wow, those are some awesome pictures! I'm sure Dr. Rudman will be excited to see them. It would be interesting to take a few out and preserve them in alcohol so you can look at them under a microscope and see for sure what kind of larvae they are.
Is there a particular kind of alcohol that is less damaging to the baby? (I know it is going to die, just want to preserve the body the best). Rubbing alcohol?

Brian
Old 09/08/2005, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
It has a little bag I connected to it. Well, not connected to it. I put the bag that came with it onto a place it should be attached to.
OK, sounds just like ours. Don't know why your skimmer would have done that just with the vacuuming. Perhaps it stirred something up in your sump that reacted on the skimmer. But then again, maybe your skimmer was jealous at the competition!!!
Old 09/08/2005, 12:59 PM
Robotic Overlord

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

A friend brought me a nice cutting from his Kenyan Tree Coral today and a cutting from his pumping Xenia. I rubberbanded the Xenia down, turned around to get the tree coral, turned back around and the damn Xenia was gone!! Blew away and I cany find it anywhere!!

Oh well, it was a freebie.
Old 09/08/2005, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

A friend brought me a nice cutting from his Kenyan Tree Coral today and a cutting from his pumping Xenia. I rubberbanded the Xenia down, turned around to get the tree coral, turned back around and the damn Xenia was gone!! Blew away and I cany find it anywhere!!

Oh well, it was a freebie.
Well if I have any luck when I remove some of my xenias and I don't kill them I will be glad to send you some if you want them.

I need to do something fairly soon because they are starting to cover a large area.
Old 09/08/2005, 01:28 PM
Robotic Overlord

Thanks! The guy that gave them to me said to not be surprised if the Xenia has attached somewhere in my tank and one day I am surprised to learn I am overgrowing with them!
Old 09/08/2005, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks! The guy that gave them to me said to not be surprised if the Xenia has attached somewhere in my tank and one day I am surprised to learn I am overgrowing with them!
I have heard the same thing about their growing habits.
Old 09/08/2005, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

dennis. i'd love one. will send you a check for shipping costs
Old 09/08/2005, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
dennis. i'd love one. will send you a check for shipping costs
Sent you a PM.
Old 09/08/2005, 02:39 PM
Robotic Overlord

Ill send a check or MO for shipping costs also!!
Old 09/08/2005, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=665451