Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 06/10/2005, 12:44 PM
Salty Pirate

Hi all...

I've been advised to post this request here in hopes someone could help me out.

I've been searching for a mantis now for well over a year. I would like to get a smasher type, but not an O.S. as I only have a 12 gallon tank.

I have a FedEx account and you could ship it to me freight collect if you're willing.

So, if anyone catches their mantis and would like to give it a good home I have one waiting!

Thanks

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff!
Old 06/10/2005, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

Okay all of you who are looking to get the mantis' out of your tanks....here's a guy who will take them from you and pay for the shipping!
Let's hope one of you can get at least one from your tanks!
Old 06/10/2005, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

lol - i already unloaded all five of the mantis I caught...but there are stil a few others here in this thread that might take up your offer once they catch them (unless they kill the mantis by accident first)...

nirol - is there any way to lift out that piece of LR? looks like he's on the upper part of your reef...which makes capture slightly easier (than if it's buried on the bottom of your reef).

pat - did you ever order that mini carpet?
Old 06/10/2005, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
lol - i already unloaded all five of the mantis I caught...but there are stil a few others here in this thread that might take up your offer once they catch them (unless they kill the mantis by accident first)...
nirol - is there any way to lift out that piece of LR? looks like he's on the upper part of your reef...which makes capture slightly easier (than if it's buried on the bottom of your reef).
pat - did you ever order that mini carpet?
I just put the $$ in the mail today for it. So I guess once the check clears, he'll send it out.
That's why I told ecugman to make a post here. There's quite a few people who have mantis' in their tanks right now with all the shipments that went out recently. Hopefully someone will be able to make him happy. If only I had known back in February, I would have gladly sent him mine. I feel bad he's been wanting one for a year or more.
Nirol, I agree with Phil, it looks like you could just lift that rock and get him out in a bucket pretty easily.
Old 06/10/2005, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
If only I had known back in February, I would have gladly sent him mine. I feel bad he's been wanting one for a year or more.
well - it's not like I was hoping to get a mantis when I ordered part 2 of the tbs package. So when I captured five in a 48 hour period - I literally didn't have enough containers to hold all of them! I feel like it'd almost be ideal to line up the mantis "wanted" ads and then order part 2...lol. It's ironic because he's been wanting one for a year and at one point I had five with not enough local takers. Of course I preferred local since it would help ensure survival...but had the locals fallen thru - it would have been nice to have someone willing to take them off my hands.

pat - i haven't seen you post any pics of your clowns - how are they doing? Also did you ever find that snail you named after your daughter?
Old 06/10/2005, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ecugman
Hi all...

I've been advised to post this request here in hopes someone could help me out.

I've been searching for a mantis now for well over a year. I would like to get a smasher type, but not an O.S. as I only have a 12 gallon tank.

I have a FedEx account and you could ship it to me freight collect if you're willing.

So, if anyone catches their mantis and would like to give it a good home I have one waiting!

Thanks
Well if I find that it is a mantis making the clicking in my tank and I manage to catch it alive, it's yours. So if you see me make a post about a mantis then speak up quick so I don't forget.
Old 06/10/2005, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

Phil, how did you catch them all? Of course mine has taken up residency in the largest rock with the most life forms on it. Don't want it out of the water for too long.
Old 06/10/2005, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

My TBS Rocks

Does anyone have this problem other than me. Ever since I had gotten my second half, I seem toalways have little white particals floating in the tank. If I turn off my powerheads, the particals just seem to levitate in the tank. Is there a way to keep the particals out of the tank, or is this somthing that I just have to deal with being that the rocks are so full of life?

Thanks!
Old 06/10/2005, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

I was able to get a partial picture of my pistol shrimp
Old 06/10/2005, 02:12 PM
Salty Pirate

Thanks for the offers...

I've waited this long so I'm in no particular hurry.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff!
Old 06/10/2005, 02:15 PM
Premium Member

He's reaching out for his friend!
Old 06/10/2005, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

Re: My TBS Rocks

Quote:
Originally posted by aetaylor
Does anyone have this problem other than me. Ever since I had gotten my second half, I seem toalways have little white particals floating in the tank. If I turn off my powerheads, the particals just seem to levitate in the tank. Is there a way to keep the particals out of the tank, or is this somthing that I just have to deal with being that the rocks are so full of life? Thanks!
What kind of white particles? Could it just be all the detruis coming off the rock? If you turn your powerheads off, do they settle to the bottom?

*edit* sorry, I just saw you said they levitate when you turn the ph's off.
I don't know...I don't have it. I don't know if anyone else does or not. I'm sure someone else will chime in though.
Old 06/10/2005, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Does anyone have this problem other than me. Ever since I had gotten my second half, I seem toalways have little white particals floating in the tank. If I turn off my powerheads, the particals just seem to levitate in the tank. Is there a way to keep the particals out of the tank, or is this somthing that I just have to deal with being that the rocks are so full of life?

Thanks!
Sure its not microbubbles.
Old 06/10/2005, 02:49 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by ecugman
Thanks for the offers...

I've waited this long so I'm in no particular hurry.
I got 4 in my "part 1", I'm betting I'll get more in my part 2. I only have one local taker ready...so I'll keep you in mind.

B.
Old 06/10/2005, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
lol

Sadly he is in the biggest heaviest rock of them all... dead center in the tank...If I get him alive... I'll try to ship him...how can I tell a smasher vs an OS?
Old 06/10/2005, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Looks bad in Tampa Bay!
Tropical Storm
Old 06/10/2005, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nirol
Sadly he is in the biggest heaviest rock of them all... dead center in the tank...If I get him alive... I'll try to ship him...how can I tell a smasher vs an OS?
The mantis we all get from TBS are smashers. Neogonodactylus wennerae.
Old 06/10/2005, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

We're going to split again with 6 more posts.
Old 06/10/2005, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nirol
Looks bad in Tampa Bay!
Tropical Storm
Ain't that some kind of ****! One good thing is when I talked to Richard on Part 1 he said those storms don't really effect the rock in the gulf much. It's a different story for the rock in the Keys. I think the rock in the Keys gets rolled around when big storms come in.
Old 06/10/2005, 05:06 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Ain't that some kind of ****! One good thing is when I talked to Richard on Part 1 he said those storms don't really effect the rock in the gulf much. It's a different story for the rock in the Keys. I think the rock in the Keys gets rolled around when big storms come in.
Maybe the calm after the storm passes will allow Richard to get out next week...trying to be positive here
Old 06/10/2005, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Are your parameters all ok? Dosing anything? I could be a precipitate forming in the water if your parameters are out of whack...of course it could also just be dust is still blowing off your second half
Old 06/10/2005, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
He's reaching out for his friend!
Too funny! It does look like the same pose in a slightly different orientation
Old 06/10/2005, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

While sitting here in my depression, trying to cope with the never cooperating weather in Florida, I figured I'd share some more pics of part 1.

Anemone type things that I mentioned are growing all over my tank glass.

Some new eggs.....

My tiny brain. No jokes OK?
Old 06/10/2005, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

Brian, thse things look like snowflakes or hydroid jellyfish. They'll just go away, so don't worry about them. They won't harm the tank.
No jokes...the brain is cute!
Old 06/10/2005, 05:40 PM
Premium Member

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=609659