Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 11:40 PM
Mushroom King

MH lighting Questions (Time to replace them)

My lights are a year old and I'm noticing the effects of it. So it's time to get new lights but I am ignorant as I've never bought them before. My current lights are 150 watt 10k (48 aqua pro).

Does it matter if it's 10k 14k 20k can I use any of these bulb as long as they are 150 watt??

What do you guys use and why ???

HAMILTON METAL HALIDE 150W 14K (DOUBLE-ENDED) HQI BULB

150 watt double ended HQI metal halide lamp. A bright mix of blue and white light producing a crisp ice blue color. This bulb will bring out more fluorescence in corals & fish versus a 10K and is brighter than a 20K. Must be used with a 150W HQI ballast or 150W electronic ballast.
Reg. Retail Price: $74.95
Sale Price: $54.95

Price: $54.95

Quantity:

HAMILTON METAL HALIDE 150W 10K (DOUBLE-ENDED) HQI BULB

True 10K Ice White color, double-ended HQI lamp. Must be used with a 150 watt HQI ballast.
Reg. Retail Price: $74.95
Sale Price: $59.95

Price: $59.95

Quantity:

HAMILTON METAL HALIDE 150W 20K (DOUBLE-ENDED) HQI BULB

Deep blue appearance. This bulb will bring out fluorescence in corals & fish. Double-ended HQI lamp. Must be used with a 150W HQI ballast.
Reg. Retail Price: $79.95
Sale Price: $59.95

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid
Old 01/07/2008, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

if you going with 14k or up the bluer the light and the slower the growth is slower than 10k. Also the bluer the light the more the colors pop out. I heard the phoenix 14k is a really good bulb to get but its up to you and what you want.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:32 AM
Mushroom King

that's what I wanted to know I understand the 10k 14k 20 color wise and it makes the corals "pop" more but how does it effect growth 10k better then 20k would 14 k be good for both growth and color ??

Hows that work ??

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

Old 01/07/2008, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

From what I understand, 14k would be a good compromise. But I honestly have no experience.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

This thread I followed so I could figure out what 250watt I wanted. I know you are wanting a 150 but it shows a nice difference between all the bulbs and ballasts.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=254667

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

Good luck!
Old 01/07/2008, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

If your looking for growth then 6,500K are your best bet. From there you can step up the color temp with each step giving you a little better color but less growth. The exception being is if you go with higher total wattage at the higher K values.

Now when you get over and even up to 14,000K there starts becomming debate on which point the tank looks too blue and you actually start loosing color because of the excess blueness. This realy turns out to be a matter of personal taste however.

If I were going with hides and concerned with growth I personaly would run 6,500K Metal Hides and then suplement that with a combination of 20,000K, 420nm, and 440nm bulbs till I got the color that I was personaly happy with.

Note do not add a 3,500K bulb to peak your reds and yellows as I did from someones suggestion. It realy kicks the tank yellow and causes a super increase in green alges growth.

Dennis
Old 01/07/2008, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

With my phoenix 14K, colors are stunning and it does not look "blue" to me at all. Looks purpleish white By far my fav bulb out of all I have witnessed. Perfect balance looks and functionality.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:00 PM
Mushroom King

Thanks boyZZZ I'm going with 14k I just decided now which brand ??? I posted hamilton as an example not going to purchase them for sure any opions ??

Old 01/07/2008, 02:16 PM
Set it up

Reflux and Ushio's are also good brands to check out. I run 14k Ushios on my tank and am happy with the color.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

i would go with the phoenix 14k over the hamilton in the 150 DE. It has good output and there is absolutely no yellow in the bulb. Ushio would be a decent choice in a 14k bulb also. If you want a bluer bulb i would highly recommend the radium. It has more output on pretty much every ballast then the phoenix and will have a bit better color. It is an expensive bulb though. Since you are using 150's I would not recommend the 12k reeflux cause the output is low and you don't have much to offset the low output as far as supplements. the 10k would be ok, but you would want to make sure you ran all blue bulbs in the supplements.