Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 10/05/2006, 10:31 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Best way to frag these colonies?

Hello everyone. I am new to fragging zoas so I have a few questions. I have 3 different colonies that I am fragging/trying to frag. I have been able to break some off but am unsure about removing some from a different rock and some that have overgrown their frag plug. From what I gathered before its not good to cut the polyp its better to try and dig if off correct? What is the easiest way to get them off. Below are some shots of the colonies if that would help with some advice on what to do. I am unsure about breaking some of the rocks due to the fact of ripping tissue. Any help?? TIA

This is the colony overgrowing the plug

This colony I was able to remove some that were growing on a sponge type thing

This is a colony growing on a finger of rock
Old 10/05/2006, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

what I do to frag mine is:

tools:

Gloves
protective glasses
clean utility razor blade
little plastic container filled with crusged coral or rubble
(or supergule gel and a plug or rock if you are brave enough)

Beware of the fact that zoas cary polytoxin ( very deadly) so dont cut yourself with that blade and toss it after you are done. Wear gloves. Latex surgical will do, make sure they are medical grade.

the process:

I look at the colony to see where I want to frag it. Pick a spot where i can dig under them with a razor and try to peal them off gently. Try to scrape agains the rock more than cut through flash of the mat or polyps. Get as many as u can / want to frag and once they are off the rock , cut the tissue between polyps connecting them to the rest.

Drop those freshly cut into the container and cover it with bridal veil, let them sit for a week or two and attach or at least heal up.

You can the put some superglue on a reef plug or rock (like a drop) and stick those to the glue. try to make sure not to glue any polyps shot just kind of make contact of the bottom of the frag and glue and dup it in water for glue to set. try to keep them out of high flow for a little while till they start to incrust the glue a little bit.

tahst my method, worked 100% so far, zoas are hard to kill but you never know ^^

I've even cut heads off with razor before and they grew new legs and attached.

hope this helps

Cheers!

P.S if u plan to sell some yellows and ship, drop me a PM ^^
Old 10/05/2006, 11:22 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Awesome thanks a lot for the help.