Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 05/08/2007, 07:39 AM
Flea Slide

Yeah! Very interesting
Old 05/08/2007, 09:07 AM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Yes, I found JD's link the most interesting.

Since we now know one of Church and Dwight’s plants is in Wyoming we can assume they are adding the antifoaming agent to it and not Gen Chem or who ever else they may be buying Trona from. I think their Solvay plant is in Ohio. So they are making their own SA and BS.

I might add there are at least 16 other very small Trona mines in Wyoming, besides the big 8, that make up the other 17 % of the mined Trona in Wyoming. Two fo the other big 8 are Tg Soda Ash, Inc. , Wold Trona Company, Inc and Alchem.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.

Last edited by Boomer; 05/08/2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05/08/2007, 11:15 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
The “soapy” residue you see in your tanks is due to the types of anti-foams they use in their process. This can be seen in the total organic carbon measurements and if you compare OCI’s soda ash, you will find it containing much lower total organic carbon. I doubt you will see soapy residue or smell perfume when you try OCI material.

OK it sounds like we didn't read this accurately.

This i was his response to my question .

Quote:
To my knowledge, all soda ash manufacturers use antifoams in their process. Some manufacturers utilize activated carbon to remove these materials. OCI Chemical uses activated carbon to reduce total organic carbons.
In the end it is up to each individual reefer and what they think is the best solution. I will keep exploring other samples as I get them in. For now I have been extremely satisfied with the FMC product as a quality alternative to baking the baking soda, It mixes up clear with no perfume fragrance and a handful of local reefers and myself have witnessed nothing but positive results. The more readily available A&H washing soda may very well be safe to use but the color, fragrance and lingering micro bubbles made me uncomfortable enough to try and seek out a better option.

Hopefully other people can use this thread as the beginning of their own research for the type of soda ash they feel most comfortable using.

Last edited by Snarkys; 05/08/2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05/09/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
Church & Dwight has returned my phone call. If anyone has a box of Washing Soda that is making water brown or has a perfume smell to it feel free to call them and get the address to send the box in for a complete assay.

Take note that Church & Dwight, like many other companies, know that we use this stuff in fish tanks and they will not only tell you flat out NOT to Washing Soda but even NOT to use Arm & Hammer Baking Soda bought from super market or any place else as sold in its Arm & Hammer box. They will even tell you not not to use these two products in a swimming pool. Reason is, these two products are not for those uses. Such products for these uses come from another division for these purposes.

Church & Dwight
469 North Harrison St.
Princeton, NJ 08543

main: 800-221-0453

My direct phone call back from C & D

1-609-683-5900

http://www.ahperformance.com/contact.asp
Back in 2005 I discovered the brown slippery stuff(It coagulated like grease)in my batches of the Super Washing Soda mix.I thought it was a bad batch,so I bought more and made sure it had a different lot#.I got the same result.I bought more from 2 more stores more than 75 miles apart.I got the same results.
I contacted Church Dwight in December 2006.They had me ship the boxes back to them(I think there were 15),promising a response.I even included a jar of the brown liquid with the scum,described how I had mixed it,and addresses of where it was purchased.After not receiving a reply,I called to see if I could get the results.They assured me they were working on it.After 6 months I got the same reply.It's close to 1 1/2 now.
I mix up 7 G at a time for each of 3 tanks.I am really over baking baking soda.I hope the food grade turns out to be a good alternative.Where can 50lb bags be purchased retail?
Old 05/09/2007, 11:56 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Well, that sucks so much for customer service

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 05/10/2007, 12:52 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
[B]

their high purity grade soda ash to take a look at

You are not going to get much purer than that at 99.8% That is the stuff to buy for sure. That is more like reagent grade/ACS and close to Ultra Pure, @ 99.99 %
well i got my sample today and a C of A. sure looks good