Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 11/07/2006, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

building a 90 gal stand

i want to build a stand for my 90 gal bow front tank. i was going to cut out a plywood shape of the bottom of the tank, then work my way down with 2x4's. i am screwing three together for the four corners and some single 2x4 in between to support. the floor im putting my tank in isnt level is there a way to set up a bottle jack on the sides to adjust the leveling?

what do you guys thing?
Old 11/07/2006, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

I'm interested in designs for 90 gallon stands too. Think it's possible to support a 5 foot long tank from the corners only, i.e. no vertical supports in the center?
Old 11/07/2006, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

i wouldnt try it. im not a woodworker so i dont know about wood stregnth but i thing only supporting the corners would create stress on the tank. unless you use like a 4x4 or 2 2x4 to made the 5 foot length stronger. i would like to find a plan for a stand.
Old 11/07/2006, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

I had done it on an 8 foot span between supports. Basicly though I used 4X6 beams to run the lenght on both the front and the back which were balanced on 4X4's with added metal cleats for stability.

Dennis
Old 11/07/2006, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

I did the same thing as TropTrea. I've got a 90 that uses 4x4 legs notched with the 4x6 beams sitting on the legs. It's not going anywhere!