Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/29/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Might Breakdown 55g Set Up Help!!!

HELLO GUYS,

Let me first start by saying thanks in advance for all the good info to come... i figured better do it now im kind of forgetful. I started in the hobby around a year ago this month when i graduated college i purchased a 29 gallona s a present to myself. I had that setup for around 6-7 months when i got a 55 from a friend. The 55 is currently running with around 20-25lbs of live sand and around 20-30 of live rock. sorry i dont know exact amounts. I am also running a fluval 204 and a biowheel for upto 65 gallon tank. I have a red sea protien skimmer for upto a 65 gallon tank. As far as lighting nothing special yet just two strip lights one with a coral reef ligh and one with a actinic bulb in it.

My delimah is this i have currently in the 55 two pink bar gobies and three green chromis. I had an anthias that had popeye i had to leave on vacation and my lil sis treated him with melafix for me and the popeye went away this was two weeks ago. The day i get back i found him dead on the bottom of the tank needless to say he became crab food "sidebar" i also have 10 blueleg hermit crabs to zebra snails and some nazarth snails i believed there called sorry if i butchered the spelling. Back to my problem one of the chromis now have popeye and is not looking to good he seems to still move and eat but is just a bit slower and not really withthe group like before. THe green chromis are only a week old in my tank and i did not QT them. All paramters check out fine calcium is a little low but thats it. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN I CANT FIGURE IT OUT AND HAVE BEEN TO SEVERAL LFS THAT ALL WANT TO JUST SELL ME SOMETHING RATHER THAN HELP. THis is kind of my last effort to get this right and if not i may concied defeat. I really love this hobby and dont want to stop but it sure is getting toughTHANKS GUYS
Old 06/29/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Try a Uv sterilizer they kill pathogens in the water and if you only keep fish lower your salinity this will also help keep pathogens. I now you can go to 1.018 for fowlr but I am not sure how much lower than this. Alot of lfs keep their salinity low for this reason. Dont give up!
Old 06/29/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

THANK YOU MAN I APPRECIATE IT I WILL LOOK INTO A UV STERILIZER.... I AM TRYING NOT TO GIVE UP
Old 06/29/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

I WILL BE KEEPING CORAL GREG BUT NOT UNTIL I AM SURE I HAVE A HANDLE ON THIS
Old 06/29/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

Nitrates-0
Nitrites-0
Phosphates-0
Amonia-0
Old 06/29/2007, 11:12 AM
old enough to know better

Bulging eye/cloudy eye is usually a bacterial problem ... often associated with a minor eye injury (netting injury, fish conflict etc). In many cases these will clear up on there own (fish's immune system warding off the infection) ... feeding healthy food and performing water changes can help.

If you don't see progress then qting the fish and using antibiotics will usually clear this up within a week. Maracyn 2 is an antibiotic which is readily available and should work ... Maracyn 2 is a relatively weak antibiotic and many would argue that you should use twice the dosage the mfg recommends. Don't use antibiotics in your show tank.

Hope this helps.
Old 06/29/2007, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

THANKS KEVIN IM GOING TO TRY THAT FIRST... I HOPE THINGS TURN OUT WELL I SEE SOME OF THE TANKS ON REEFCENTRAL AND WANT MINE TO BE THAT ONE DAY...
Old 06/29/2007, 11:20 AM
old enough to know better

Your welcome.
Old 06/29/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

It's possible it's only from your chromis trying to kill each other.
Old 06/29/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Just a question for you. Are both eyes of the fish inflated or just one? If just one then it most likely came from and injury and is not popeye. It could be likely that the chromis are beating the crap out of eachother when you are not looking and that is where the injury came from.
Old 06/29/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

It is only one eye but my anthias had it in only one eye as well before he died