Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/03/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
No Idea. I just toss in a few spoonfuls. And I am wondering why this would wrok to feed one bacteria to kill off another. Maybe I am feeding them both? I have noticed that when I blow off a rock, it is covered the next day...
Any opinions on if the bulb's your using are causing the algae problems? Also check out this thread for the basics on adding a carbon source vodka, sugar, apple juice etc. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=288714
Old 10/03/2007, 10:11 PM

hmmm...I need about 40 +
Old 10/03/2007, 10:18 PM

Don't think it is the lamps, since I have had this kind of bulb on since the beginning. I had several issues coincide to make this happen and I just need to get on top of it.
Old 10/07/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

awesome tank, good luck.
Old 10/08/2007, 05:31 PM

I am trying to determine what my brown algal outbreak actually is. Although there have been times when it seems to be subsiding, I just can't seem to shake it.

I think it may be Dinoflagellates and it looks just like this :

Can anyone link me to articles on the subject? I saw a reference in an RK article to by Sprung and Delbeek (1994), but I can't seem to find it.
Old 10/08/2007, 05:37 PM
Carpe Noctem

Looks like dino to me!

Raise pH and quit doing waterchanges. I had it when I left for about two months. Since I was gone, there were no water changes and the stuff was almost gone. It took nearly 4 months to eradicate it. Reef Keeper mag had an article a few months or a year ago.
Old 10/08/2007, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...t&pagenumber=1

FWIW your tank is looking alot better! I'll see what else I can come up with.

Here's another:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ighlight=dinos
Old 10/08/2007, 05:41 PM
Carpe Noctem

Here it is http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php
Old 10/08/2007, 05:44 PM

stop doing water changes? Christ Hop, I have been doing 2 - 3 per week trying to get rid of this crap. And dosing sugar...
Old 10/08/2007, 05:47 PM
Carpe Noctem

Something in the mix causes it to spread faster. I can't remember what it is, but you have to let the dinos exhaust themselves and starve before fueling them again. Here is exactly what I did...

Dopped MH lights down to 4 hours a day, did no water changes for 8 weeks and upped pH to 8.5.

When I got home it was 75% gone and then I did one water change every 3-4 weeks for 2-3 months. It was then about 95% gone, although I still had a small amount under the rocks closest to the over flow.
Old 10/08/2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the links guys...

"Hi Steve,

The image shows a microalgal growth that is probably a mix of dinoflagellates and diatoms. Such growths also contain cyanobacteria, but as minor component. This type of outbreak is characteristic of new tanks, generally, around 6 to 7 months old, that have inadequate biological filtration as well as nutrient export problems.

These algal outbreaks are, as with cyanobacterial outbreaks, symptomatic. In other words, they are not the problem but, rather, are indicative of the problem which too much dissolved nutrient in the system. Treating these algae or cyanobacteria with chemicals is worse than useless, by killing the algae without attacking the root cause of their appearance in the first place, you simply boost the nutrient level in the system, while destroying large portions of whatever biological filter you have.

To address the problems, you need to reduce the nutrient levels in the in the system significantly. For a plan of attack see the sticky thread, near the top of the forum listings titled, "Red slime algae...."

Yes - I know they are not red slime algae. But the same solution will work in both cases. "
--Shimek

Solution:

"We cut the lights for 24 hours, and then every day there after we ramped it up an hour, and now its been running at 4 hours a day for the last week. We're going to start putting it up to an eventual 8-10 hours in the end, but slowly and monitor how things go. If the stuff comes back at all, the light gets cut an hour.

We also started using filter floss between the baffles of the sump, and blew the rocks off daily (sucking this stuff out was a pain, this was easy). The filter floss got changed daily, or sometimes multiple times per day depending on how gunked up it got.

Feeding effectively got cut in half.

And we also increased the flow. Those pictures were days after we added the SEIO 2600. We had a total of about 750gph flow in powerheads, plus the Mag 9.5 for return. This was too low of flow in the tank, but the SEIO 2600 kicked that up a bit, and now things are getting back to normal."

He added that they stopped water changes as well.
Old 10/08/2007, 06:03 PM

"all we lost were a few snails (because the dinoflagellets are poisonous in great quantities to algae eaters) and a colony of xenia."

Well, I lost a few thousand snails!
Old 10/08/2007, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

It also explains why your Xenia has been suffering. It's going to be REALLY tough for you to keep an elevated ph of 8.6. I don't think that's a viable option for you. Stopping the water changes is easy enough. Lights out from time to time is easy as well. The bottom line though is more nutrient export and less going in. IMO you are on the right track: getting rid of the sand, going to the fine pore air stones and adding mechanical filtration.
Old 10/08/2007, 06:28 PM
Carpe Noctem

Increasing the kalk should be easy enough. It may not let you get 8.6, but at least it's elevating it and aiding in the precipitation of po4. I have zero scientific proof, but I believe that my dinos were aided by po4 being released from the base rock. I can't even call it a hypothesis, maybe a SWAG
Old 10/08/2007, 06:34 PM

Strange thing is a lot of the tanks in these threads are BB. I am going to cut the photo period and feed every other day. Getting pH up is not a problem. I will just re-program the ACIII Pro to allow a higher value.

I am going to slowly lower the photo period by starting later tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help guys. This has been really bugging the crap out of me, and I am considering running my reef with a 1 hour lamp nap like I do for my FW Planted tank.
Old 10/08/2007, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

I don't think you're off Hop. My DSB disaster is still very clear in my head. 0 detectable phosphates and still TONS of HA. Give yourself a little more credit!
Old 10/08/2007, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Strange thing is a lot of the tanks in these threads are BB. I am going to cut the photo period and feed every other day. Getting pH up is not a problem. I will just re-program the ACIII Pro to allow a higher value.

I am going to slowly lower the photo period by starting later tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help guys. This has been really bugging the crap out of me, and I am considering running my reef with a 1 hour lamp nap like I do for my FW Planted tank.
I don't think it's strange at all. Just because you are BB doesn't exclude you from husbandry problems. It actually just makes the problem show up faster. If you had a DSB of 6 inches in your tank you probably wouldn't have any trouble at all right now. In a year or two though you would, and the problem would be much worse and much harder to deal with.
Old 10/08/2007, 06:54 PM

Well, I already altered my program to allow the tank to get to 8.50 pH and drop the lights by an hour tomorrow. I am going to beat this stuff if I have to kill everything in the tank!!
Old 10/08/2007, 10:39 PM
Parrot head

I'd cut the lights completely for at least a day if not 2, Jonathan. It won't hurt the corals. Ramp back up from a low point. Might help you get through it quicker.
Old 10/08/2007, 11:06 PM

well, I am a little bit chicken for that...
Old 10/08/2007, 11:08 PM
Will work 4 corals

I have done 2 days on just actinics with no problems.

So shoot me!
Old 10/08/2007, 11:23 PM
Parrot head

Storms, clouds very dark daytimes in nature.
Old 10/08/2007, 11:43 PM

all right, all right, but it's on your head!
Old 10/09/2007, 12:04 AM
Parrot head

It'll just slide off.
Old 10/09/2007, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

Have you checked out the thread about leaving your lights of for 3 days? I know it's about cyano, but at least you can read up on the results that other reefers have had, and lately the problems that a few have encounted. More positive than negative, but worth checking out.

Cheers

Chris