Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 11/01/2006, 07:48 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhodophyta
Yes curing = the true hardening of the cement. Keep the concrete misted or covered with plastic for one week before going to the next step. Rushing this will release lots of calcium that should have become part of the chemical structure of the cement, and mean that you have a problem completing the next step.
"kuring" = the cleaning of the cement. One part of cleaning is to neutralize excess alkalinity; the other part is to leach away excess alkalinity.

The cleaning process transforms into "cycling". As the beneficial bacteria colonize the surface of the rock, they seal it up, and any sealed in calcium will have an opportunity to gradually bond chemically with the concrete making it harder and stronger over time.
ok so is it bad that i just left them in a bed of rock salt for a week? i think it rained once...

?
Old 11/01/2006, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Travis do you have any updated pics of your tank? Have you been able to crack open one of the rocks that has been in your tank for a while?
Old 11/01/2006, 02:15 PM
My Life for Aiur!

DOH! I knew I've forgotten something. I have so much on my plate. I apologize for not breaking a rock yet. I'll try to do that this weekend if things go smoothly.

March 1, 2006

Here is my most recent picture. It was taken some time in mid-October. If I didn't know what rocks were DIY already, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The tank looks devoid of life now because of an old bulb. I've been having difficulty getting a new bulb in and it's starting to really take it's toll. Lesson learned: change out your bulbs often or you WILL lose livestock.
Old 11/01/2006, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Do you have any sps in your tanks?
Old 11/01/2006, 02:26 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I used to. All my Montiporas died because of the light. I've been battling this for 6 months. It can only be the light. Water parameters have been spot on for 6 months. No predators. Same temperature. You name it. It has to be the bulb. Here's what I've lost:

Almost all the Zoanthids that you see on the left side of the tank. Half the Corallimorphians on the right side (Ricordea included), all of my Montiporas, all of my Candy Canes, all of my Euphyllia except a Torch and a Hammer that is slowly going downhill, and a few other things. Seriously, never let your bulbs get too old. Mine is about 2 going on 2.5 years. I wanted to replace it when it was about a year old but I didn't have the money for a few months, and now I'm having trouble getting it in. Let this be a lesson to everyone that reads this to change your bulbs!
Old 11/01/2006, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

I have been curing my 1st batch for a little over 8 wks. now and am wondering if this has all been a waste of time. My Ph is still sky high in the curing tubs. I started the first week changing the water once a week and since then have been changing it on avereage three times a week. Now what has me thinking this has been a waste of time, I just came in from changing the water in my tub and notice some cracks in some of my taller shaped rocks. I was curious to if they had comprimised the structure of the rock and sure enough I could with little effort break the rock apart. then if I squeezed hard enough I could crush the rock with one hand. Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 11/01/2006, 02:29 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Many people have reported the same experience while about the same number of people have reported success. Since starting this thread, I cannot pinpoint exactly what is causing some people to be successful and others to fail.
Old 11/01/2006, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Could be the source water?
Old 11/01/2006, 03:01 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Most likely not. Albeit I don't use filtered water, but the tank was flourishing long ago and my other tanks haven't seen a decrease. Neither have any of my fellow reefers in my local area. And they have worse piping than I do. My pipes are 100% PVC from tap to city water line.
Old 11/01/2006, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

im having the same problem minus the cracks. I have been soaking my rocks for WEEKS and the ph is still off the charts. I also don't fully understand the ammonia process. Can't you just put the rocks into the tank when or if the ph goes down? It's an already established tank. Is the ammonia just for new systems? It seems like it would cause a spike if you put it into an established tank. (but again i don't fully understand it) am i wrong?
Old 11/01/2006, 05:48 PM
More than meets the eye

Is this considered agrocrete?
Old 11/01/2006, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Aragocrete needs aragonite in it, IME. This mix is a little bit different.
Old 11/01/2006, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

lastnight i went to HD and tonight i went to lowes and neather has portland type I they do both have portland type I/II will this work cuz if not ill be forced to have them order a full palet and i have to buy at least half of it
Old 11/01/2006, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Yes, that will work
Old 11/01/2006, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

earlyer in this post (i beleave it was at the end of page 3) i read where some one used sand in the mix is this a must i was under the imprestion that i the mix to use was something like this.

not sure about the what to what ratio is to be but as far as i knew it was

mix water and cement and salt

you can use calcium chloride and acryclic fortifyer if wanted(but no a must)

can some one please give me the ratios i would like to get this right the first time (as i am not wanting to p*ss off my wife to bad while doing this )
Old 11/02/2006, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Does anyone have pictures of their sps tank with this rock?
Old 11/02/2006, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

I only have frags of sps in mine. Mainly plating and digitata montis and a few pocillas. I've got one smallish acropora that started from a very small frag about a year ago. Lots of softies and a few LPS.

I've had mine with aragonite rocks for 3+ years now.

Old 11/02/2006, 11:06 AM
More than meets the eye

Nice lookin tank S.T.
Old 11/02/2006, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Would there be any difference with using concrete and rock salt vs. using aragonite rocks?
Old 11/02/2006, 11:35 AM
My Life for Aiur!

What do you mean by "difference"? Are you talking performance?
Old 11/02/2006, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

Really, I was wondering if there were any benefits to using aragonite rocks vs. concrete with rock salt
Old 11/02/2006, 11:56 AM
My Life for Aiur!

The only difference between the two is that the salt leaves the rock porous where more bacteria can grow to help with the biological filtration. A solid aragrocrete rock lacks lots of the porousity that the salt/cement rocks do. Many people use a combination of the aragrocrete and salt/cement in their mixture. Besides biological processes, there really isn't a difference beyond the obvious weight, size, etc.

More or less, you have to ask yourself what you want your rock to do for you. Do you want it to use as aquascaping? To look cool? To filter the water?

Edit: To me, the biological process of denitrification is far more important than the looks of the rocks. Thus, I prefer the Salt/Cement and that's why they are the "Ultimate" rocks for me. Don't get me wrong. The other rocks work just as good for aquascaping, but the end porousity is uncomparable.
Old 11/02/2006, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

I meant that I've had mine with agrocrete rocks for 3+ years now.

I soaked mine for 3 months in a river. I don't have any problems with pH, algae, or coral mortality, either. Happy corals and happy fish!
Old 11/02/2006, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Travis,

What kind of lighting do you utilize? Montis and zoas should be able to survive just about any lighting scheme and very low output. An old or poor quality bulb of the wrong spectrum would encourage nuisance algae but shouldn't outright kill your corals unless they are extremelly reliant on high PAR readings like acroporas.

Try different test kits to see if your getting the same readings on your parameters. Something's outta whack? Lighting alone IMO shouldn't be killing these corals.
Old 11/02/2006, 03:18 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I've had a 250w 10,000K Coralife Metal Halide with 2x 65w 420nm Actinic Power Compacts. All my corals used to survive and grow like wildfire. I had my bought with algae growth many months ago, and I've already gone past that step with not detectable nutrients. I've tried different test kits from good ol' Salifert to simple Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, and they all have tested the same (with the exception of inaccuracies between different brands). I've stayed up MANY nights looking for predators and there isn't anything. I even resorted to overfeeding thinking that my corals weren't getting enough nutrients, and that hasn't helped any either.

I've been around the block a few times and have looked at every possible angle at my tank and all areas are covered except the lights. I've even looked into testing for all sorts of things that I don't even dose for. Iodine, Strontium, Copper, you name it are all where they should be.

The death of corals really started to take its toll at about 3 months ago. Under the same lighting a few months before they were growing quicker than I could keep up with them, but now they are receeding quicker than I can deal with.