Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2006, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

New stand/platform design

I started the platform build but I have changed the design a bit. I was not happy with having just 1.5' wide cabinets so I increased the total length of the platform to 114" which is 9.5'. That should give me a few more inches to make the side cabinets wider. I also added an extra 2"x4" stud into the center for more support.
The platform framing is completely put together and needs some sanding to get it ready for painting. I will paint it white just to help protect the wood from moisture. Here is the new blue print and pics will follow soon.
Old 10/26/2006, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Pics of the stand platform

This is a pic of all the studs pre-cut for the platform:

I also sanded the studs before I put them together to make it easier:

Just a pic of the exterior 3.5" screws that holds it all together with of course some wood glue:

Here you can see it coming together, I checked it to make sure it was square:

And lastly the platform is completed, I will sand the 2"x4" a bit more and give the whole thing a coat of white paint to help protect the wood from the moisture. Once that is done then I can place the poplar wood trim that will be stained on the front and sides.
Old 10/27/2006, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Michael, thanks for all the great tips and advice, good luck with all the mods
Old 10/27/2006, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fache
Michael, thanks for all the great tips and advice, good luck with all the mods
I am happy to help out when and were I can but to tell you the truth I still consider myself a novice. I have enough knowledge to be dangerous I was able to get one coat of paint on the platform today and maybe in the next day or so I can give it the second coat. I still have a few kinks to work out on the stand as far as what to do for doors and stain color ( wife wants a different color stain) etc, but I think I will get it all worked out as I move along. This definitely has turned out to be a bigger project than I expected. Just to many ideas in my head.
Take care
Michael
Old 10/27/2006, 08:59 PM
More than meets the eye

Lookin good my friend!! Thanks for being so detailed. It's an easy to follow thread. Why did you build the platform 28" front to back? Isnt your tank 18"
Old 10/28/2006, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pito
Lookin good my friend!! Thanks for being so detailed. It's an easy to follow thread. Why did you build the platform 28" front to back? Isnt your tank 18"
The platform is actually 31" wide and the idea is that it will help to spread the tanks weight over more rafters, not sure but thats the the idea since the rafters run length wise. I am using a mildew resistant white satin paint which does not require a coat of primer. The paints first coat acts as the primer and the second coat seals it, at least thats what the directions say on the can. Painting the platform may be an extra step that I could do without but I figure why not in case water is spilled on it at least it will be protected.
Old 10/28/2006, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Looking forward to seeing the stand and cabinets completed. Keep moving along so I can get more ideas. I too have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.
Old 10/29/2006, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Plartform painted

OK I was able to finish painting the platform yesterday. Here is a pic and I must say it came out nicely:
Old 10/29/2006, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

I actually had some time today so I started on the polar finish wood for the outer edge of the platform.
Here you can see I cut some pieces to be applied to the very front and sides then I cut the pieces for the top section.

This is the poplar pieces or trim I should say applied to the platform frame. I used wood glue and 1.5" finish nails:

In this pic you can see the top pieces in place:
Old 10/29/2006, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

I sanded everything with 60 grit sand paper using my orbital sander. Then I used my router to trim up the edge and make it look pretty. Did I mention that I hate routers, you have to be really careful with a router cause it can mess up the edge quickly. Yep I screwed up with the router but I was able to fix most of it with some hand sanding and I think once it is stained and polyurethanes it will be OK. These pics show the edge of the wood work. I also sunk the finish nails into the wood and then filled the holes with putty. The final sanding was made with 220 grit sand paper.

And last but not least the platform completed and just waiting for stain on the poplar wood trim
Old 10/29/2006, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

I'm not going to lie to you. I like the woodwork. Be sure to put all of the weight of the tank on vertical pieces, not on horizontal pieces which are secured to vertical pieces - do not rely on any joint.
Old 10/29/2006, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

The stand will go on top of the platform in the middle so it will sit on the vertical pieces. Thanks for the tip will come in handy when I build the stand for the tank itself.
Old 10/29/2006, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Looking pretty sweet, I was wondering why you drilled all the holes for the closed loop ? wouldn't that just distribute the flow so it wasn't strong at all ?? On my old system I put a tee on my return and it distributed the flow approx in half...and I didn't like it cause it wasn't causing enough out of either, I'm wondering if yours will do that x100 ??
Old 10/29/2006, 03:42 PM
More than meets the eye

Looks like you handle wood pretty well! (LOL) Just wondering if this is how you mean the tank will sit? Useing your diagram, the red lines represent where the tank stand sits.
Old 10/29/2006, 03:46 PM
More than meets the eye

OOps. Everytime I use paint shop I can't upload the photos directly to the thread. I gotta upload them in my gallery. It's in there. Go check.
Old 10/29/2006, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
OOps. Everytime I use paint shop I can't upload the photos directly to the thread. I gotta upload them in my gallery. It's in there. Go check.
Yep!! Now your catching on!
Old 10/29/2006, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin/TiV
Looking pretty sweet, I was wondering why you drilled all the holes for the closed loop ? wouldn't that just distribute the flow so it wasn't strong at all ?? On my old system I put a tee on my return and it distributed the flow approx in half...and I didn't like it cause it wasn't causing enough out of either, I'm wondering if yours will do that x100 ??
Rite now as it stand the close loop has two 1" bulkheads for returns to the pump. The two 1" bulkheads will go into a 1.5" PVC pipe which will feed the pump with water. Kinda like having a 2" bulk head. Then there is two 1" bulk heads which will be behind the rock work with a revolutions on each bulk head. Two returns to the tank will go over the tanks rim and into the tank There will be an ocean motions also connected to the closed loop and that will alternate flow between the nozzles. I do not see any problems with flow or pressure. This should work nicely. Also remember the Dart pump will be right behind the tank so there maybe just 3' of head pressure.
Old 10/30/2006, 07:26 PM
More than meets the eye

Justin/TiV, the portion of the closed loop system you see with all the holes in it is the intake portion of it. Michael does'nt want any livestock getting sucked to it. That's why he needs to distribute the Intake flow there.
Old 10/31/2006, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Justin/TiV, the portion of the closed loop system you see with all the holes in it is the intake portion of it. Michael does'nt want any livestock getting sucked to it. That's why he needs to distribute the Intake flow there.
Thanks Pito, I misinterpreted what he was asking. Yes the holes in the white PVC is the strainer for the pump, like Pito explained. With that much PVC and all the holes the suction should be very minimal which will make it safe for any animals swimming by and would be less resistance on the pump trying to suck water.
Old 11/01/2006, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

90 reef tank

Sorry for the delay guys and gals but I needed to do some preventative maintenance on my 90 Reef Tank cause I really do not want to let it get bad looking. Here is a pic of the tank (best i can do with my old camera) enjoy:

I will try to see if I can get some time today to stain the wood work on the platform and post some pics.
Take care all,
Mike
Old 11/01/2006, 01:46 PM
More than meets the eye

Do what ya gotta do brotha. At least you're getting somewhere. I got the 125 taken apart a couple weeks ago and haven't touched it since. I'm not in a rush as I'll have to wait to see what happens with your stand beforeI get started on mine. Don't worry it wont be a copy cat deal. BTW, your 90 looks great. How old is that pic?
Old 11/01/2006, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Hey Pito,
I just don't have the time to do everything I want to do or need to do, lol The pics was taken today after the water change was done. Don't worry about making the stand exactly like mine, its up to you if you want to copy my set up, feel free. I should have patented my design Just kidding!!
I just ordered the Mag Drive 1800 pump from a fellow reefer on here. This will be my return pump which will be in the sump. I use this pump on the 90 for a return pump. I am really happy with the Mag18 pump. In four years the Mag18 on the 90 reef has worked without any issues. I also wanted a back up just in case I needed one. The sump was ordered from my lfs, its going to be a 30 long glass tank which I will have to put in baffles for the different sections. Coming together slowly.
Old 11/01/2006, 05:56 PM
More than meets the eye

Well I guess I can say i made some progress. I've been buying some equipment, and everyone knows how big of a battle that can be I got a PCX 55 genx for my returns that I'll run through two penductors. I'm hopeing to get a 55 for a sump. Tank got cut for the CL and for external overflows. I wanna get a Dart for the CL and hopefully a 4way or something.
Old 11/01/2006, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Paint Etc.

I figured I would post the paint, stain and poly that I will be using on this project in case anyone wants to know.
Here is the satin white paint that i am using on the structure of the platform/cabinet. The first coat primes then the second coat seals, it is also mildew resistant for up to five years.

This is the stain I am using on the finished wood work. After a few weeks of debating what color to stain the finish woodwork and actually picking the color I wanted, I ask my lovely wife (first mistake, lol) what she thinks about the stain color I picked? Well as I am showing her the color on the color chart by Minwax she points to a different color and says this is a much better color for the wood work. To think I spent weeks agonizing over this and in 30 seconds she has it all figured out! So you all know what happened next, I went with this color stain:

I am using the fast drying poly from Minwax, clear semi-gloss. I have used this on past projects and I like the finish it leaves, not too shiny.
Old 11/01/2006, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well I guess I can say i made some progress. I've been buying some equipment, and everyone knows how big of a battle that can be I got a PCX 55 genx for my returns that I'll run through two penductors. I'm hopeing to get a 55 for a sump. Tank got cut for the CL and for external overflows. I wanna get a Dart for the CL and hopefully a 4way or something.
Glad to hear your getting started! Maybe start a thread so you can share your ideas and thoughts with everyone. I for one love tank build threads, Lots of ideas that can help others. Plus you can get some good info from others like things you may miss or not think about, if you know what I mean
Hey that Gen-x pump won't it be some what loud? i have heard those pumps make a low hum noise, am I wrong? Thats why I like to use the Mag Pumps for returns, really quiet pumps.