Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 08/13/2005, 01:23 AM

Now - I'd pay probably no more than 40 or 45 dollars for the first one. The second and third one, you can go ahead and hang on to. However if you're selling 'em for a few dollars, I'd be willing to pick them up for my fellow co-worker's nano tanks at the office.

A year and half ago? I'd easily be willing to pay you 5 or 6 hundred for all three.
Old 08/13/2005, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

Project Reef, is your name Ali?
Old 08/13/2005, 01:26 AM

Yes, Ali McBugle.
Old 08/13/2005, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

I think a friend of mine bought a tank from you. He's not liken it too well right now.
Old 08/13/2005, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vpham24
Randy, you're always the wise one. I would say that piece is half the price you mentioned, but you see, what if 5 months from now it's 1/4 of it? Does it matter?
Of course, I was speaking in Retail, not wholesale.

I am visiting Family in Florida right now. A LFS around the corner has a very nice Orange/red Echinophyllia for 140.00. I already have many of these corals, but still considered purchasing this Echino.

Your question as to how much I would pay for your Micro/Acan made me think of the Echino. How much more would I rather have your piece, than the Echino. Well, about twice as much.
So you can see, I put a lot of thought into that response.
If in 5 months it was selling for 75.00, oh well.

With me, I collect corals because I like them. And I like things that grow and can be fragged later on. So it would be worth it for me.

How much is it worth to you? Would 300.00 be enough for you to put it in a box and send it to Buffalo, NY?
Old 08/13/2005, 01:31 AM
Registered Member

Hey Ali, you beat me to the punch line.
Old 08/13/2005, 01:31 AM
Registered Member

Randy, please don't take offense to my statement. My response was correct, you seem to be the sane one around here. That "wise one" is a compliments.
Old 08/13/2005, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vpham24
Randy, please don't take offense to my statement. My response was correct, you seem to be the sane one around her. That "wise one" is a compliments.
None taken Buddy.
Old 08/13/2005, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

Randy, I gotta tell ya, the RED/GRAY of mine is sick looking. I think they like my dirty tank. They are multiplying like crazy. Here's a reminder of how it looks like.

Old 08/13/2005, 01:36 AM
Registered Member

This was from John(va_reefman)

Old 08/13/2005, 01:41 AM

Take the money and run Vpham!
Old 08/13/2005, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

man, I wish, these socal suckers keep on raiding my tank.
Old 08/13/2005, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

BTW, my name is Vu.
Old 08/13/2005, 01:49 AM

As much as I'd love to chat with you about utilizing laser beams to protect your tank from our So Cal friends, we got to keep this thread on topic Vu.

I've already edited this thread earlier for the same reason. I might get tackled or get delicious pastries thrown at me for doing the same thing.
Old 08/13/2005, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

Gotcha, I leave now.
Old 08/13/2005, 07:42 PM
I glue animals to rocks

So my acan lord colony because of an article isn't worth much now? Or at least a lot less than I recently paid for it a few months ago? I was recently thinking of selling it after my work 'downsized' but if I'll only get pennies on the dollar what's the point?

Business lesson 101 - "I put these changes machines everywhere and haven't made a dime!"
Old 08/14/2005, 04:47 AM
troublemaker

The point is owning it because you love it.

Then price doesn't mean much, nor does the critique of the online reef community.
Old 08/14/2005, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

vp- that first lord colony you posted is extrememly gorgeous and, like randy, i'd willingly pay $300. the subdued colors are just gorgeous.

randy- thanks for taking the time to look up the 'old' acan threads to prove some points and provide some fact based evidence...i remember going through the whole price gouging incident before and remembered you (or maybe mane) saying that prices have been around 60 per polyp since the get go(if not higher...for some reason the 100dollar mark is in my head). it's helpful to us acan lovers to have level-headed spokesman like you though. thanks for putting in to words, what most of the older acan lovers couldn't say without too much anger.
Old 08/15/2005, 11:53 AM
Moved On

Randy, Thank You for the Facts rather then mindless "you paid how mich for that" comments. All of the Artifical price fixing mumbo jumbo is garbage IMO. The last thing most Reefers want to do it raise the prices on something they love to buy. I guess everything in this world is Artificially price boosted then! I can name a thousand items that have gone from Hero to zero but that does not mean it was Artificially done. Had Acans been readily available 6 months to a year ago then you would have never seen the high prices, but they were not avail. Now that they are and you can get them for 75% of what the market was at 3 months ago still the only people barking and complaining are those who DON'T own 1 singe Lord! You were not happy when they were $200 a polyp and still not happy now that they are $5. If all of us "so called" idiots are so upset that prices dropped why are we the only ones not commenting on it?

It's a shame to me that the complainers can't see who the real Collectors are and save the ranting for the Trouble makers! I know several people who paid TOP dollar for there Acans and do not have any regrets in doing so and would do it again if they see something they like.

Don't hate the players hate the game!

Peace
Old 08/15/2005, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

(Don't hate the players hate the game!)
nicely put Jus Reefin
Old 08/15/2005, 02:20 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Jus Reefin

It's a shame to me that the complainers can't see who the real Collectors are and save the ranting for the Trouble makers! I know several people who paid TOP dollar for there Acans and do not have any regrets in doing so and would do it again if they see something they like.

Don't hate the players hate the game!

That's a pretty funny statement considering what's been said in this thread. I didn't see anyone being singled out or attacked. You seem to be the one labeling yourself and others as "targets." Too close to home?

My "complaining" was completely "about the game." Fraud, and market demand are very different economic drivers. I have a problem with the former, not the later.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 08/15/2005, 03:26 PM
who?

The word fraud keeps coming up, seems pretty far fetched IMO. How about some specifics, links to threads, etc...? If calling acans rare is equivalent to fraud that is a pretty weak basis. While acans may be plentiful in overseas aquaria how many were around in the US a couple of years ago (re-iterating Randy's point)?... not near as many as are now. Just about all the LFS around my area now have acans in stock, just a year ago that was definitely not the case.

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 08/15/2005, 04:42 PM
Pimping the Lady Boys

Mothra, you're talking 2 years and 1 year ago, while we are talking March, April and May 2005.
When people in this forum are saying Acan is RARE (cause this is probably what they heard somewhwre in this forum).
When people here are saying Acan lord CAN NOT be found in Indonesia,each is brain washing the other,to some kind of shopping-acan-frenzy, while there are people who are maniplulating all this....I dont know about you, this is fraud in my book.

Jus reefin, if you meant me in the "barking and complaining" statement, so , not trying to show off, but some people here knows me ,and saw my Acans, I stopped counting at 250 polyps and will never count again...believe me my friend, I never payed anything NEAR what people here payed for ONE polyp around May.(and started buying them around Jan. till June).
Old 08/15/2005, 04:51 PM
who?

Why don't you make it easier on all of us and point out who it is making these claims, or better yet how about some links to these threads? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't any bad apples out there (or a few people that are mis-informed) - but come on, this has to be a minority claiming that acans are rare etc...

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 08/15/2005, 05:20 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
That's a pretty funny statement considering what's been said in this thread. I didn't see anyone being singled out or attacked. You seem to be the one labeling yourself and others as "targets." Too close to home?

My "complaining" was completely "about the game." Fraud, and market demand are very different economic drivers. I have a problem with the former, not the later.
You prove my point with every statement you type! I was not labeling anyone in fact my point is yourself, and many other RC folks ( mods included) like to do all the labeling of people here and this thread is another example! My point all along as been the fact that you along with many others here have some sort of "Conspiracy Theroy" of some sort of Acan price gouging Mafia ring when in all actuality it is the Wholesalers and retailers ( many of them RC sponsors) that are doing all the price fixing and gouging not us few Reefers who want them cause we LIKE them. Read Anthony's post he even stated they are coming into the Wholesalers for $25-40 each then they charge the Retailer $300 and the retailer charges us $500, how is that us hobbiest are doing this, is it because we are willing to pay any amount? If so then i find that EXTREMLEY AMUZING!

BEERGUY, your "too close to home" accusations have gone on long enough. Until you actually take the time to meet me
(considering we live in the same area) or come up with some facts, I would appreciate you keep your accusations to yourself. I love to hear other opinions but making false accusations is a whole different ball game.