Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/08/2005, 08:34 AM
TRC Leader

That is really good news Wayne. I'm glad your grandfather is showing improvement.
Old 07/08/2005, 01:58 PM
Ryan Steagall

Yep, good news on grandfather improving.

We are all excited about your design.
Old 07/08/2005, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

good to hear about your grandfather....now lets see some PICS!!! I have been following this from day one and I cant wait!!!!!!!!
Old 07/08/2005, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

K, here we go everyone. This is going to be short as the final portion is fairly simple.

First off, just want to let everyone know the Gel Super Glue is holding up awsome. I had to shorten the shaft on the propellor assembly and it actually broke off part of the shaft on the black portion of the shaft.

Anyway, this final portion is two fold. First to address the problem with the propellor spinning in the wrong direction, second is to change the one thing that was weak on the last design, the shaft stabalizer that go's across the center of the tube and holds the shaft centered.

This picture is where I am getting the tube ready for the new stabalizer. The plan here is to use the 1/4 in tube I already have. This thing once in place will be solid. Remeber to drill the hole as close to the end as possible, also make sure to drill it exactly on the other side. This was easy becasue of the ridges on the outside of the pvc tube.

sorry this on eis alittle blurry, but here is what we have, this is the stabalizer, WITH 2 holes, one in the center for the shaft, and the second is to stop the propellor when it is going backwards. I glued a very short piece of the 316 SS in the second hole. Basicly what happens, is when the propellor spins correctly, the force of the water pushes the propellor just below the SS stop. If it spins the wrong direction, it pulls the shaft out, hitting the stop, then correcting itself. After I finished this, i unplugged and replugged many times and it works like a charm.

And this is the stablizer in place. Everything else is the same as before except the shaft has to be shortened to make up for the new placement of the stabalizer.

That is pretty much it. There is still one thing I do not like, it still siphons water from time to time, sucking in air with it which causes micro bubbles. I supose I can make something to cover the top holes to prevent the suction from the top. I may also go with a slightly smaller tube for the stabalizer but honestly there is no need other that for looks. But all in all, I am very happy with the results.

I am going to be making a few more of these so I will get actuall lengths on things like shaft and propeller assembly posted later. If there are any other questions I will be more than happy to answer. Thanks and God bless.

Wayne
Old 07/08/2005, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

WOW, this is such a fun idea, great craftsmanship! Definitely would love to have one of these. Looks like kind of a pain in the butt to make, but maybe with all the steps broken down and the right materials this wouldn't be too bad. The shaft is what makes me wonder if I can find the correct stainless steel. Maybe you could market this, sell a packet of the materials needed, some partially assembled some not. You could make a killing, all while not even ****ing off the maxijet manufacturers.
Old 07/08/2005, 10:54 PM
TRC Leader

Very nice modification.
Old 07/08/2005, 11:13 PM
amateur zookeeper

I've been wondering about this mod in comparison to store products. I am a total DIYer but I want to know how a converted MJ1200 holds up to a SEIO or even a Tunze. At like 1/10 the price of a Tunze it doesn't have to be close but how about a SEIO? Has anyone done this and compared them at all? SEIOS are relatively inexpensive and easy to setup. Any one know? Again, I'm not trying to discredit this idea at all, just wondering how they compare to other products. Thanks
Old 07/08/2005, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

Wayne, glad your grandfather is doing better! As soon as I read the first couple steps I was going to ask if you could make me a couple (for good $$ of course!) I have tried everything possible with the various MJ's we have, and I have a lot. The Seio's just aren't cutting it in our tanks for a number of reasons... anyways... My husband doesn't have time right now for this stuff, and, well, I can't really do it. I know you're in the midst of perfecting the perfect, but, let me know if you're willing. Also, I'd pay for the titanium if you would do it that way. thx!!!
Old 07/08/2005, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

Wayne, with your 'positive rotation' mod, do you need to 'power off, power on' to change rotation?? The 'positive rotation' mod discussed earlier sounded as though it was automatic. I ask this because I'd like to put 2-3 on a wave maker, and with MURPHY looking over my shoulder...enough said.. I LOVE the new stablizer..GREAT THREAD, GREAT MOD. Loks like your in a new business...
Glad to hear your GrandFather is doing better
Geoff
Old 07/09/2005, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pioneerlog
Wayne, with your 'positive rotation' mod, do you need to 'power off, power on' to change rotation?? The 'positive rotation' mod discussed earlier sounded as though it was automatic. I ask this because I'd like to put 2-3 on a wave maker, and with MURPHY looking over my shoulder...enough said.. I LOVE the new stablizer..GREAT THREAD, GREAT MOD. Loks like your in a new business...
Glad to hear your GrandFather is doing better
Geoff
You do not have to power on power off. When you flip the switch, if it goes the wrong way, it stops and then goes the correct way. It is so quick that you really can not se it happen, you hear it it the brake, but it changes directions so fast you really cannot see it. I am going to do the same thing with the wavemaker, as I have another maxi in my tank.

Someone just asked also how this thing compares to some of the others. I would suggest you go to the fist page of this thread and download the movies at the bottom of my original posts. I currently have a 30G and honestly, this one maxijet 600 is too much. My ENTIRE tank has high flow. I have the maxi on the right side, and it blows so hard, that it kicks off the left wall and blows everything in the bottom of the tank to the right.

Tell ya what, If I get time this weekend, I will do another recording but I will throw some flake food in so you can see what I am talking about.

Wayne
Old 07/09/2005, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

Wayne, I'm PM'ing you! thx..
Old 07/09/2005, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

I want to thank everyone for all the awsome compliments on this Mod. With that being said, I have recieved alot of PMs of people asking me for these and that to me is one heck of a compliment.

For those of you who would like, I will start making these and selling them for a fare price. I still have to determine what that price is going to be. I am not really going to get to outragous on the price as I want ot keep this as afordable for everyone as possible.

I also had someone ask about titanium. I will bea happy to do it with a titanium rod, However I rerally do not think anyone wants to pay what that is going to cost. I think the cost was going to be like 3-5$ an inch for that stuff which would have you paying anywhere fform 15-20$ extra for the titanium. What I was planning to do, was include a SPARE shaft in the kit. With this being 316 SS, I am assuming at least 6-9 months and possibly even a year of operation out of the one shaft, so with an extra shaft, you should be good for quite some time.

With all that being said, If you are interested in having me make you one f these, please email me at kwdozier@gmail.com . As you an imagine, my pm box is getting full. I will reply as quickly as possible as I still am spending alot of time at the hospital. I will also post a price as soon as I get a chance to determine what it should be. Thanks again and God bless.

Wayne
Old 07/09/2005, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

You're awesome!!! The question I had about titanium though, is the SS really gonna be fully reef safe? thx much..
Old 07/09/2005, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

what are normal impeller rods made out of?
Old 07/09/2005, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

I believe that most are actually ceramic shafts.
Old 07/09/2005, 09:03 PM
Call Me Ishmael...

Quote:
Originally posted by tekknoschtev
I believe that most are actually ceramic shafts.
Fluval canister filters have ceramic shafts.

All the MJ's I've seen have SS.... most likely 316.

Dwain
Old 07/10/2005, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

question about the stabiizer. You used a 1/4 inch plastic rod, and I am assuming drilled a 1/4inch hole. So does the stabilizer rod rotate and slide in there easily, and if so wouldn't that cause the impellor shaft magnet to wiggle and hit the maxijet?
_J
Old 07/10/2005, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by miatawnt2b
question about the stabiizer. You used a 1/4 inch plastic rod, and I am assuming drilled a 1/4inch hole. So does the stabilizer rod rotate and slide in there easily, and if so wouldn't that cause the impellor shaft magnet to wiggle and hit the maxijet?
_J

Yes I drilled a 1/4 hole and slid the stablizer through it. However once in place, It is also superglued so that it does not move. With that being said, when I put this one in the tank, you couldt hear a faint tap where the magnet was hitting the side of the maxi as before. But It is no longer tapping so it has worked itself out. Please keep the questions coming if there are any.

Also wanted to let everyone who has requested I make them this mod, I will be going today to get most of the parts I need to make this. The only part I will have a problem with is the propellors as I am sure the LHS is not going to have enough. After I get everything I will determine the price. I will include shipping in the price so there will be no need to add that later on. Currently, I am thinking the price is going to be around 25-30$

To keep with the Rules of Reefcentral, once I determine a price, I will repost on the Sellers forum and put a pointer in this thread to it.

Wayne
Old 07/10/2005, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Wayne-
Do we need to send you the powerheads?
Old 07/10/2005, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

You will not need to send me your powerheads. Those who have requested them, I will email back probably sometime tomorrow. I also had a few people ask that i buy the Maxi's myself, and send a full setup. I do not mind this, however you will have to pay for the maxi as well as my cost of having them shipped. There will be no markup on these whatsoever so no worries there. If anyone knows where the cheapest place to order them and they want to let me know, that would be great.

I have also had several request for a setup for maxi1200's. I really want to get a 1200 and test these as I do not know what kind of affect this is going to have on those. With the 600, from time to time, I get a bit of siphon action going on. Not often, maybe like 2 times an hour, however with the power the 1200 is going to have, I have to assume it will definetly cause a siphon. I will aslo keep everyone up to date on that.

My plans are to hopefully be able to start shipping some of these next week, however that will depend on the availabillity of the propellers. I am going to see if I can order some online tonight.

If there are any other questions or I have left something out, please let me know.

Wayne
Old 07/10/2005, 10:13 PM
wish I was here

I'd say if you're going to order a bunch of them, someplace would be willing to cut you a deal on a bulk order. I would suggest trying Premium or your LFS.
Old 07/10/2005, 11:10 PM
TRC Leader

I believe Drs Foster & Smith had a Maxijet sale recently. Or maybe it was PetWarehouse...man, I can't recall.
Old 07/10/2005, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I believe Drs Foster & Smith had a Maxijet sale recently. Or maybe it was PetWarehouse...man, I can't recall.
I checked a few different online sites and found them cheapest at Marinedepot.com

Shawn
Old 07/11/2005, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Wayne-
What do you mean when you say siphoning effect?
Old 07/11/2005, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rothie
Wayne-
What do you mean when you say siphoning effect?
I am talking abou the mini tornado look from where it is sucking in so much water. Creating a small whirlpool that sucks in some of the air as well. It is usually very brief, however with a 1200 it may be more constant. To fix this, I may try larger holes, or many small holes. Not quite sure yet how I am going to work this out.

Also, Just wanted to let everyone know, I checked all the hobbie sites I could find last night and everyone is out of this particular propellor untill the late juy. I went ahead and put a large order in with towerhobbies.com But I have no idea when they will be in. So shipping of the mod will have to wait untill I get these in. Sorry for the wait. I am also going to storm the LHS and try to get some, I will deliver them in the order I recieved the request.

Wayne