Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/15/2005, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

Its incredible that you got that much flow out of a MJ600. I have a few in operation that I am thinking about doing this mod too.

Looks like Its off to Home Depot and a Hobby Shop.

Just a question, what did you use to hold the end of the propeller shaft at the end of the mod? Also, do you have any other pictures of that cap that you used to clip the thing on, or more info on it. I havent seen them in the stores around here, but then again, I havent been looking. What size is it?

Again, thanks for the detailed instructions. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do it today on one of our 600s, and possibly make a few more for our other power heads. Could save a bundle on Seios for our new tank.
Old 06/15/2005, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

I will get you the part number of the cap when I get home, I got it from Lowes.

As for the propeller, everything was attached with Gel Super Glue. I may try some different types of glue, however the Gel SG is holding up quite well.

Oh, also wanted to mention something about performance. At first, when I dropped this thing in the tank, it was making a slight clicking noise from where the magnet was tapping the side.(I guess from not being perfectly centered. However that noice is completely gone now. Have not heard it in the last 3 days.

On the next rendition, I am 100% possitive I can make this thing perfectly centered in the PVC. I can't wait to show everyone what I have come up with. Should be pretty slick

Wayne
Old 06/15/2005, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

This is the best iteration of a DIY stream I have seen yet. Gonna try it with a 1200 this weekend.

speakeraddict
Old 06/15/2005, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

I cant even imagine how much flow a 1200 would get. I'm gonna try making the nozzle attachement for our 600s and see how that goes, and since it is nearly interchangeable, we'll probably invest in some 1200s for our 150, and put it on a wave timer like you mentioned earlier.

The flow out of your 600 is incredible. Our 900 doesnt do it for the 20 long prop tank we've got (wth a skilter 250 and Emperor 400 HOB) so that one will probably get moved to our 40.
Old 06/15/2005, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

One question: What are the washers for? I don't see in the pics or the description where they get used.

speakeraddict
Old 06/15/2005, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by speakeraddict
One question: What are the washers for? I don't see in the pics or the description where they get used.

speakeraddict
I put them on the end where the prop is. They are useless when it is turning the correct way, however when it spins the wrong way, they keep the prop slightly away from the rod brace.

Wayne
Old 06/15/2005, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

That makes sense, thanks.

speakeraddict
Old 06/15/2005, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

If this works so good with a 600, I am wondering if there would be any benefit at all using a 1200. Does teh 1200 turn faster? I am also wondering about the current draw of a 600 and a 1200 with this mod. Is anyone willing to measure the current?
-J
Old 06/15/2005, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

I tried to make one with my 1200 and it doesn't work very well. I don't know if I did something wrong but it is very noisy and seizes a lot. If you don't have enough holes in it will it do this? I pretty much did it the way described here other than a couple different parts but mine sucks. Any suggestions?
Old 06/15/2005, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyfish
I tried to make one with my 1200 and it doesn't work very well. I don't know if I did something wrong but it is very noisy and seizes a lot. If you don't have enough holes in it will it do this? I pretty much did it the way described here other than a couple different parts but mine sucks. Any suggestions?
You have to get the rod as close to perfectly centered as possible. I did this by feel on this model, however on my next rendition, it will be measured out. Also, you may want to check your propeller size, I will post the exact demintions of mine when I get home. But it sounds like either your magnet was slapping the inner caseing or the prop was slapping the PVC.

Wayne
Old 06/15/2005, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Post us a pic and lets see how ya did.

Wayne
Old 06/15/2005, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

well I have taken it apart now and I'm trying something else. Basically I did the same as you I cut the blades off the impeller and glued the tubing to the impeller and then glued the prop on the end of the tubing. I didn't have the ss rod perfectly centered on the guard could this have been the problem or is the prop too big?
Old 06/15/2005, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
well I have taken it apart now and I'm trying something else. Basically I did the same as you I cut the blades off the impeller and glued the tubing to the impeller and then glued the prop on the end of the tubing. I didn't have the ss rod perfectly centered on the guard could this have been the problem or is the prop too big?
It could be either or, maybe even both. I will post the size of my prop when I get home, but I did not have to do any cutting on the prop itself. But if you did not have it perfectly centered, it will cause problems.

Also, you may want to wait and see what I do on this next rendition before going any further as I am going to address the gaurd(Rod stabalizer) as well as a stop for when the blade turns in the wrong direction. That way you do not need to stick your finger in to stop it.

Wayne
Old 06/15/2005, 02:10 PM
Ryan Steagall

Concerning the wrong direction... why can't the original impeller design be implimented to make sure it always turns the right direction?
Old 06/15/2005, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

I would like to see more of this.
Old 06/15/2005, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

bump for everyone... GREAT MOD!
Old 06/15/2005, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rsteagall
Concerning the wrong direction... why can't the original impeller design be implimented to make sure it always turns the right direction?
The original impeller in the maxijet spins BOTH ways. It works either way in its original form, because either direction, it still has to pull from the one hole, and has to push out the other. As far as the maxijet is concerned in original form, either way is the right way.

Wayne
Old 06/15/2005, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Wayne,

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but what is your plan for producing a stop so that the Maxi-Jet prop does not turn in the wrong direction?

Peace,
John H.
Old 06/15/2005, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

I got mine to work but when I put the guard on it seizes. It doesn't seem to be hitting on the sides. Any ideas?
Old 06/15/2005, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rufio173
Wayne,

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but what is your plan for producing a stop so that the Maxi-Jet prop does not turn in the wrong direction?

Peace,
John H.
I have already thought of the fix for this, please read through all the post and do not just skip to the end.

I am going to include the fix this weekend and post the pics once I am finished. It would be harder for me to explain than to just post apic of it, but it will be very clean and 100% effective.

Thanks for the recomendation though.

Wayne
Old 06/15/2005, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I got mine to work but when I put the guard on it seizes. It doesn't seem to be hitting on the sides. Any ideas?
Does your propeller shaft and magnet spin freely of the SS rod? Is the propeller touching the gaurd itself? It is hard for me to troubleshoot your issue without knowing exactly what was done. Can you get us a picture of the mod you did?

Wayne
Old 06/15/2005, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BullDZR
I have already thought of the fix for this, please read through all the post and do not just skip to the end.

Wayne
After reading this I realize I sounded a bit rude, sorry for assuming you just skipped through, you may have simply missed it. But stay tuned, I will definetly be posting it when I get it done this weekend.

Wayne
Old 06/15/2005, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

k, got a part number on the cap and a few measurements...

1.5" PVC Cap Lowes part # 23405

Propeller from end to end measures 1.25"

inside diameter of PVC adapter is 1 5/8" and part # of PVC is 23866

Please let me know if there is anything else needed.

Wayne
Old 06/15/2005, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

One of the biggest differences between the 600 and 1200 is the impeller. Since your essentially removing the impeller, theres not going to be as dramatic a difference between a 600 and a 1200, tho the 1200 is a little bigger with a bit more power behind it.

FWIW the plastic piece that holds the impeller in and lets water in and out of the powerhead (do these have a name?) are different sizes, barely. I could not get one from a 750 to fit onto a 1200. The impeller on the 1200 is a little longer. Shouldn't matter for this mod though from the looks of it.

For example, if I'm not mistaken, the only difference between a Rio 2100 and 2500 is the impeller.

I wonder if playing with different size propellers will give you different flow results. A bigger propeller on a 1200 may give better results.

What happens if a fish swims into it

All in all, very impressive...may just give this a try!
Old 06/15/2005, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

No prob Wayne, not rude, I have been trying to follow, but I guess I must've just missed it.

Can't wait for the pics. It'd be really nice if we could set this up on a wavemaker! Pics are definitely worth a thousand words.

Peace,
John H.