Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/06/2005, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
Fantastic job. Easy to follow instructions. Thanks for taking the time to take pix along the way.

Good question by TroyPierce, did you add, or can you add a bubble counter?

Thanks again for 'taking care of' the rest of us.

Russ
Old 05/06/2005, 10:00 PM
Tang Police - What a Joke

Quote:
Originally posted by houseofha
ay updtae on the progress of this project? Rate of calcium etc?

Right now I am still waiting on the new silenode for the regulator. So I have been unable to start adding CO2. After I first set up the reactor, it had alot of air and made alot of noise due to the air getting sucked into the pump. When I woke up today, all the air was cleared out of the reactor and it was running really smooth. I can't wait to add CO2.

The reugulator by milwaukee has a built in bubble counter, so I didn't have to make it.

I am glad that everyone is enjoying my project. I have always loved reading about everyone elses DIY projects on RC.

DragonMaster .... The canister came with a big O-ring that sits on the rim on the clear canister. I would see if you can get one from Lowes. Just tell them you have it installed on you water pipe and don't want to take it apart. They should give you a o-ring from another box. Did you start your calcium reactor before you read this or did you just follow my directions? Post some pics of it if you get the chance.

On Wednesday, I am going to put a secound chamber on it. I will post pics of that also once I have finished it.

visit my site dedicated to reef keeping just click on my little red house.
Old 05/07/2005, 09:09 AM
get your reef on

This is a great idea.
How important is it to see inside the chamber. I've heard most people replace the media every 6 months to a year regardless of the media level. Does seeing inside serve a purpose?
If not you could get housings here, http://www.waterfilterstore.net/cat.asp?i=40, and either get a larger housing for the money, or save a little on the same size one.
Old 05/07/2005, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WmTasker
Right now I am still waiting on the new silenode for the regulator. So I have been unable to start adding CO2. After I first set up the reactor, it had alot of air and made alot of noise due to the air getting sucked into the pump. When I woke up today, all the air was cleared out of the reactor and it was running really smooth. I can't wait to add CO2.

The reugulator by milwaukee has a built in bubble counter, so I didn't have to make it.

I am glad that everyone is enjoying my project. I have always loved reading about everyone elses DIY projects on RC.

DragonMaster .... The canister came with a big O-ring that sits on the rim on the clear canister. I would see if you can get one from Lowes. Just tell them you have it installed on you water pipe and don't want to take it apart. They should give you a o-ring from another box. Did you start your calcium reactor before you read this or did you just follow my directions? Post some pics of it if you get the chance.

On Wednesday, I am going to put a secound chamber on it. I will post pics of that also once I have finished it.
Hey WmTasker!

Well I went to lowes, got the o ring and wala!! I got everything setup exactly the same as you except I used a mag 2 for circ.

When I got it running with the maxi and filled it and started the mag I watched for leaks and had none. This is where the problems started.

I got the Co2 running and it had so much back presser on the inlet that my bubble counter would start to go and then slow rapidly until it stopped. At this point water would start to fill the BC and push up through the Co2 inlet on the BC.

I messed with it until 10:30 last night and then shut it down. I'll try today to get it working. I think what might be happening is the circ pump is gaining back pressure and the placement of the Co2 inlet is before the 90 degree making it difficult for Co2 to enter.

If you have any suggestions I sure need them. Possibly moving the inlet to the top of the Reactor may fix it!

Thanks

Dragon
Old 05/07/2005, 09:40 AM

Jthnhale .... the link doesn't show anything. I looked around the site and didn't see anything..

Dragonmaster ... Do you have a pic you can post of it? Do you have the co2 going to the inlet or outlet side of the pump?

Old 05/07/2005, 09:47 AM
get your reef on

try this water filter store.
This should open the home page, click on "housings", in the left hand menu.
Old 05/07/2005, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Jthnhale .... the link doesn't show anything. I looked around the site and didn't see anything..
I just looked at the site... click on filter housing on the left hand side. The biggest clear one looks to be the same as the Whirlpool one with a black cap instead of a white one. $39 and $6 shipping. That's about $10 plus tax cheaper that lowes. When I get ready to build one, I'll try ordering from here.

Thanks for the link.
Old 05/07/2005, 10:07 AM

is this the one you all are talking about?

It only hold a standard filter cartridge. The one I got holds a 4.5" filter cartridge. Lowes has the same canister as the above one from like $15.

Old 05/07/2005, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Dragonmaster ... Do you have a pic you can post of it? Do you have the co2 going to the inlet or outlet side of the pump?

WmTasker,

Don't have a camera right now, sorry. I know, that should be a crime!!

I just saw what the hel$ I did wrong (dddduuuuuuhhh). I've got the system backwards. I see you are feeding the reactor from the OUT end and the effluent is coming from the IN side of the reactor. That's an easy fix, I'll just break out the Teflon tape and switch.

Question: Do you have your stand pipe so tight that all water must go down and through the slits and then back up?

Thanks again!!
Old 05/07/2005, 10:51 AM

The stand pipe is really tight in mine. I actually put a rubber gasket at the bottom to make it tighter. You have to have the water criculate from the bottom to the top, this give the water the best contact with the media and helps to keep away any dead spots in the canister.

Old 05/07/2005, 10:59 AM

Sorry I forgot to mention that I plumbed the chamber opposite of what it says on the lid. I have the pump pumping into the out side of the lid and the return coming out of the in side of the lid. <-- this sentence could be confusing.

sorry you are having problems with yours, since I forgot that pretty important part of the direction.

Old 05/07/2005, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The stand pipe is really tight in mine. I actually put a rubber gasket at the bottom to make it tighter. You have to have the water criculate from the bottom to the top, this give the water the best contact with the media and helps to keep away any dead spots in the canister.
OK Just so I'm sure, you are sending water into the outlet side of the reactor so the water must run down through all the media to the bottom of the reactor and then back up through the stand pipe.

Dragon
Old 05/07/2005, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

This looks freaking awsome! I was in the process of making my own reactorbou I think I'm about to throw out what I have and start like this. I have definate concenrs about being able to seal the PVC plumbing to the homemade fittings needed to connect to the acrylic tube. Luckily I got all the acrylic tube from work.
Old 05/07/2005, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Alllllllll righty then!!! It's working like a charm. This is a great setup (once I did it correctly). Thanks WmTasker for this cool new Ca Reactor. It's going to be a hit for anyone that can't afford the name brands.

Good Job!!

Dragon
Old 05/07/2005, 12:22 PM
get your reef on

Do you need to see the media? I know it gets used up, but if you change it every six months or so would this matter?

If you don't need the clear canister you can get a larger 20" x 4.5" housing for $55.
or a less expensive 10"x4.5" housing.

What do you all think? Do you need a larger chamber?
Old 05/07/2005, 02:14 PM

Jthale ..... The larger the container, the media and water you can hold. This will allow you to put more calcium in a larger system if you need it. The only reason you need the clear canister is to see when to change the media. I suppose you can use a non-clear canister if you change it every few months. How often you change it will depend on the consuption rate that your tank will use the calcium and the rate you have the reactor adjusted to.

DragonMaster ... the water should flow in the out side of the lid, then down the stand pipe out in to the media, up through the media, then out of the in-side of the lid. As long as the pump is pumping into the out side you should be cool.

Old 05/07/2005, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Jthale ..... The larger the container, the media and water you can hold. This will allow you to put more calcium in a larger system if you need it. The only reason you need the clear canister is to see when to change the media. I suppose you can use a non-clear canister if you change it every few months. How often you change it will depend on the consuption rate that your tank will use the calcium and the rate you have the reactor adjusted to.

DragonMaster ... the water should flow in the out side of the lid, then down the stand pipe out in to the media, up through the media, then out of the in-side of the lid. As long as the pump is pumping into the out side you should be cool.
Thanks WmTasker!

I finally got it working perfect! Now I'm ready to add the second chamber. Do you already know how your going to add it? If so please post. I don't want to re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.

Dragon
Old 05/07/2005, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Great job. I was considering building a second stage for my reactor out of similar parts... now I don't have to figure it out.

One thing that might help CO2 consumption by preventing buildup in the cannister is to tap the CO2 inlet right before the inlet of the pump (maybe extend the pump adapter with some pvc and put it there).

If I understand correctly, CO2 gets pushed through the housing with the influent water before it gets chopped in the impeller. I might have the flow backwards, but either way trying to force a bubble down the tube might not be the most efficient way to get CO2 into the system.

just an idea.

- Steve
Old 05/07/2005, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sediener
Great job. I was considering building a second stage for my reactor out of similar parts... now I don't have to figure it out.

One thing that might help CO2 consumption by preventing buildup in the cannister is to tap the CO2 inlet right before the inlet of the pump (maybe extend the pump adapter with some pvc and put it there).

If I understand correctly, CO2 gets pushed through the housing with the influent water before it gets chopped in the impeller. I might have the flow backwards, but either way trying to force a bubble down the tube might not be the most efficient way to get CO2 into the system.

just an idea.

- Steve
Good point!

I just checked my effluent Ph and it's at 6.8 already. I do however like the idea of relocating the Co2 inlet before the intake of the pump like most of the name brands. For now though, I'll leave well enough alone!

Dragon
Old 05/07/2005, 11:43 PM

Sediener ...

After I made everything and put it together, I almost kicked myself in the butt for not putting the CO2 inlet right before the pump. Most of the post and reactor I have seen have the CO2 inlet there. I think I got so excited once I got all the part, I just overlooked the simple things. I have an extra elbow ($0.79), so Im probably going to do that. Im pretty sure the adapter on the pump will be big enough to drill and thread.

DragonMaster ...

I have a few canister from an old RO unit. It looks like the canister I posted above, but it only have 1/4" inlet/outlet holes. I was planing on setting it up the same as the main chamber. I am going to put a stand pipe in it and some more media. Then I will run the outlet hose going to the tank into the out side of the new canister. Then having a new hose with the shutoff valve coming off the inlet side of the new canister going back to the tank. I hope this isn't all confusing. I will have the second stage on either tomorrow or monday. I will get pics as soon as I do it.

Old 05/08/2005, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

If I ever add on a second chamber, I know where to go... Lowes!

Thanks for this great DIY idea!
Old 05/08/2005, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

so what is the maxijet used for? -- I am asuming to feed the unit but all the reactors I have seen just use the suction from the pump to pull in water.
Old 05/08/2005, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

I am new to the hobby and wanna know more about a calc reactor. I know that it helps supplement calcium, via the media and CO2. How do you regulate this? I am assuming it has to do with the flow on your co2. How long does a bottle of C02 last you?
Lastley i have a 20 gal and wanted to know if i could apply the same principal to some Ro canisters that i have. I am sure i dont need a media holder as big as you guys.
Thanks in advance
Dave
Old 05/08/2005, 09:02 PM

Calcium Reactor 2.0

I want to say thanks for everyone giving me some feedback on the calcium reactor. Its fun sharing your ideas with other reefers, seeing them try it, and getting feedback. I added the second chamber tonight and moved the CO2 inlet. Here are a few pics.

First thing I did was remove the one elbow and retap a new one to just have one hose going to it. This was the elbow going into the out side of the lid. It origanally had the input from the sump and from the co2. Now it only has the input from the sump.

I moved the co2 inlet to the adapter that went before the pump. At first I thought I was going to need a larger adapter to have room for the new hole. After checking it out, i figured there was enought room and there was. Now I have the co2 going threw the pump so the impellar can chop the bubbles up to disolve faster.

I added the second chamber. As I said earlier, I set it up the same way I did the first chamber. Instead of the influent coming out of the reactor then striaght to the sump, it now goes into the out side of the RO Unit to circulating threw the media. It finally comes out the in side of the RO Unit and back to the sump. I put the valve on the line coming out of the second chamber to control the flow threw the chambers.

Here are a few extra pics to check out. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Enjoy

Old 05/08/2005, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Tester
so what is the maxijet used for? -- I am asuming to feed the unit but all the reactors I have seen just use the suction from the pump to pull in water.
Sorry I missed your post. There are some reactors that use the pump to siphon the water in, and some use a dosing pump. The only reason I went with a maxijet is because I have seen alot of reactors use them instead of spending the extra money on a dosing pump. I also wanted to make sure I had a constant water flow threw the reactor. But mostly it was a cost thing.