Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/14/2005, 10:02 AM
Onyx Clownfish

Clams under 150W DE 14k Phoenix Bulb?

Can I keep all types of clams under a 150W DE 14k bulb? From the water surface to the top of the sandbed is 16" The glass on the PFO mini pendant is 6" from the water surface. This makes it 22" from the glass on the pendant to the sandbed. The tank is 24" long and 18" wide. Also, I am using an E-Ballast not an HQI ballast. Your thoughts?
Old 03/14/2005, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

Sure, you can keep them all. I'd just leave squamosas and derasas on the sandbed , and move the maximas and croceas up in the rockwork.
Old 03/14/2005, 08:05 PM
Team RC Member

i would have to say no. i have a 75 clam tank and a 180 mixed reef both had 10k, i just got 14k for the 180 that dosent have clams and im very supprised how blue they are it look's like im running just actinics,clams dont live that deep,and i know i will hear that clams live down to 30meters, but that not true,gigas CAN be found up to 30m but it rare, all other clams(that we keep) live from 1m to 20m,6500k,10k is what they need

------------------------------------------------
Old 03/14/2005, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

But what about all the folks who have kept clams for years under 20k bulbs?
Old 03/14/2005, 09:16 PM
docendo discimus

I keep Croceas, Squamosas, and Derasas under Phoenix 14K 250W bulbs.
Their color is beautiful and they are thriving.

Brian
Old 03/14/2005, 11:37 PM
Team RC Member

ok! do u want to buy my 14k bulbs? doent anyone take into consideration where these things live in the wild anymore. they might live, and they might grow ,but is it what they need?, is it what is best for them?why are we digressing back to the old days. if u do some research into these clams that we keep its all there they dont live that deep. people keep there tanks blue now because they think it looks kool, not becouse it what the inhabitants need.

Old 03/14/2005, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

No one's arguing where they live, but how is using a bulb like a Radium a bad thing? So thriving clams and SPS corals living and growing stunningly for years under 12-20k bulbs is bad and they are suffering somehow?

My cat lives on Cat Chow and filtered water, yet she seems healthy and happy. That's sure not what she would get in the wild!
Old 03/15/2005, 12:04 AM
Team RC Member

what's the spectrum at 15m? is it 14k to 20 k? i dont think so. there's a new twinky diet out send me $20 and ill tell u all about it and u probubly wont die for a few years

Old 03/15/2005, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

14k bulbs vs. 10k is hardly a balanced diet Vs. Twinkies.

Spectrum is not what "feeds" our animals, it's the PAR (which is often related to spectrum in our bulbs). If you compare the PAR of our MH bulbs (look at Sanjays studies) to the PAR readings at the depths they are comparible. In fact, the PAR of certain 400-1000w bulbs exceeds the normal PAR readings taken at the surface of tropical reef areas.

I'm not arguing that the spectrum is different, but how is that "bad" or unhealthy for the animals. Those stunning, mindblowing 12-20k bulb tank with growth rates I couldn't dream of sure make me think there's nothing "bad" about it. Certainly no twinky diet.
Old 03/15/2005, 12:14 AM
Got Salt!

I have kept clams under 10k DE 250 ushios and, now I have them under 14kACs DEs and cant tell a difference other than coloration, the AC?phoenix has basicly the same par ratings as a 10k DE ushio...when I choose a bulb I look at five things...coloration/PAR/cost/brightness/ longevity! Clams will do well under the ac 14k hey if its enough to grow great acros then clams will love it!
Old 03/15/2005, 12:25 AM
Team RC Member

we could go on for ever!!but i must say clams are much more needy then acros.Peabody ive read and respect ur post's and opinions and im not here to **** anyone off, so im going to end this with 10k's rule lol

Old 03/15/2005, 12:26 AM
Team RC Member

dont know why they bleeped p-i-s-s

Old 03/15/2005, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

Hey..no hard feelings. Look at my sig, I'm a 10k (Ushio) man too. I don't dig the blue look, but have seen some stunning tanks with 20k blubs with happy looking clams!
Old 03/15/2005, 12:34 AM
Team RC Member

i know just got 14k for the 180 today(no clams) just way blue for me and cant see clams being happy in it.Barb loves the blue look, i guess time will tell if our sps still grow.these things look like 20k to me?

Old 03/15/2005, 05:30 AM
Got Salt!

mbbuna

What brand did you go with? I use the AC over my 13 inch deep clam tank, coloration is so subjective anyway...IMO it looks like a super crisp white with lots of extra actinics over my tank..the 75 sps thats plumbed into the system has ushio 10k DEs over it with uri super actinics , the clam tank makes the sps tanks lighting look a bit yellow...JIME
Old 03/15/2005, 05:57 AM
docendo discimus

I agree with Scuba Dog. The AC or Phoenix bulbs are not nearly as blue at you are presuming. The color temp will also depend on what ballast you are using too, but these bulbs have a crisp white look over my tank as well.
Nobody wants to see their animals suffer and I'm sure there are a wide variety of opinions on this matter, but we are all just talking from experience here so no need to get nuts.

Brian
Old 03/15/2005, 08:48 AM
Team RC Member

there Phoenix bulbs 14k 150w de hqi, the balists are from coralife