Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chriscobb
I'm tossing around ideas or sizes for a cube tank, I'm under the impression that height of the panel dictates thickness of material???? Would 3/4" cast acrylic be more than enough to handle a tank 60"Lx30"Hx48"W? I do understand that it would need to be eurobraced as well.....any help would be greatly appreciated......
Height *and* span determine thickness. 3/4" would suffice but would need to be both eurobraced and crossbraced (in both directions) to be structurally sound over the long term IMO. You could make it with a wide enough eurobrace but would be a PITA to maintain.

James
Old 11/03/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

I am looking at building another larger tank and have a thickness question. How tall do you recommend going with 1/2" material? I am looking at a 72x24x24 but wondered if I can go a little bigger and stay with 1/2" material. Can I go taller? wider? longer?

I want to have it divided into 3 sections, so two crossbraces plus eurobracing. I have 3 lumenarc reflectors for lighting and want one over each opening. Other than that, I don't have any restrictions on size. I want to "maximize" the tank using 1/2" material and the 3 openings.

Thanks for all your help.

Dave

Last edited by jpndave; 11/03/2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11/03/2007, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpndave
I am looking at building another larger tank and have a thickness question. How tall do you recommend going with 1/2" material? I am looking at a 72x24x24 but wondered if I can go a little bigger and stay with 1/2" material. Can I go taller? wider? longer?
Yes, but realize that deflection (bowing) will increase as you do so. I've seen tanks up to 10' long and 30+" high made from 1/2" material and they hold water but bow badly and look, well, awful.
72 x 24 x 25" will hold up nicely and only take 2 (4 x 8') sheets to build. You can go a little longer, up to 36" or so wide and up to ~27" high with tolerable deflection & without more bracing but becomes economically impractical to do so from standard 4 x 8' sheets.
If you stick with the 72 x 24" footprint, 3" eurobrace all around with (2) 6" crossbraces yields you 3 nice openings measuring ~18 x 18" and will do well.

HTH,
James
Old 11/03/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

well im pressed for space under the 125... the dimensions under there are 30"l x 17"w x 30"h. That is the available space i have under the 125. Is that enough?? So the thickness of it should be 1/4 or 3/8??? ya this will be for my 120 reef.... where can i get AcryLite FF???
Old 11/05/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Polishing Kit

What is the current recommended polishing kit?

Have any of you used the 3M Trizact system?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 11/05/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Dave,

I used the 3m Trizact kit when I had to polish up my old 240 tank. I got the type that goes on a 5" random orbit sander and it worked BEAUTIFULLY. They are very hard to find these days (I would almost guess that 3M doesn't want to sell them!), but if you can find them, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and use it.
Old 11/05/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Roamer. One of my suppliers carries them (Louis & Co.) so getting it isn't a problem. I was looking at that same size, 5" stickit discs. I just need to polish the edges that I glued and routed.
Old 11/05/2007, 08:31 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Is that the dry sanding system? I looked at 3Ms site awhile back and saw there was some dry sanding kit up to about 2000 grit. Not sure how that could work without severe loading.

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 11/05/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Here are a couple of links to what I am looking at. What do you think?

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...rge/6597-1.jpg

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...666X7jCOrrrrQ-

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...lm+Disc+568XA+
Old 11/05/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

That is the same system I used. It is a wet system. I used a spray bottle with water and a small amount of dish washing liquid in it.

Also, be sure to flush out the sanding pad after every pass. And I do mean EVERY pass. I would run the vertical-horizontal pattern on the end of my tank, take the pad off and take it to the sink and rinse it out completely. Then, wipe the tank off with a clean towel and make another pass. Repeat until you are happy with that pad, then go to the next finer pad and repeat again.

I goes pretty fast when you get into the groove. I would HATE to do this all by hand, but the RO sander REALLY speeds it up. And the results are fantastic!

One other thing, this is one area where it is a bigger mistake to be too conservative on picking the starting grit. You will HATE life if you decide to "be careful" and start with a high grit pad (aka: finer pad) and then sand and sand and SAND and STILL not get those scratches out. If you start with a pad that is a bit too course for the size of the scratches you have, the very first pass will probably take all the scratches out, and then you can move to next finer grit and start working your way up.

There used to be some pretty good articles on how to polish up acrylic online, so you might want to do a bit of reading before you start work.
Old 11/14/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

We dont get Weld on solvents in South Africa.

Has anyone used Tensol to build a display tank?

The plastic suppliers suggest using tensol 7 which is a 2 part cement and cutting the perspex sheet at a 3 degree angle. They also advised against using tensol 12 saying the bonds are not going to be strong enough.

But its not going to be fluid enough to use the pins method. It also seems like its going to be difficult to put together since it will need clamping etc.

Does anyone know if one of the other tensol products will work.

What if i just used chloroform to bond the pieces would that be strong enough?

Quote:
EDGE BONDING
Solvent welding is the quickest and easiest way of forming edge
bonds. The best results can be easily and safely achieven when
ETRU-FIX/TENSOL 12 are applied achieved using the appropriate
EVO-PLAS application kit. Features of this system - which is
intended for indoor applications - include good resistance to stress
crazing, even on line-bent sections, and high clarity, bubble-free
bonds. Filled systems such as TENSOL 12 offer slightly better gap
filling properties.
For external applications, a highly durable adhesive such as
TENSOL 70 is required