Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 01/11/2008, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

considering heavy metal/toxin aborption - DSB best in display OR remote (RDSB) ???

here is a link to an article by dr ron shimek
talks about how we are adding excess heavy metals and toxins into our water by doing water changes (found in the salt) and how they accumulate and are absorbed by the live rock as well as dsb - which will build up over time and perhaps begin creating probs later on down road - UNLESS taken out or removed from system (that is the LR or dsb is physically removed)

this is not actually the focus of the article but only a sidebar of what its related to... mainly talking about nutrient export in our systems (on sidenote - discusses how xenia is a major exporter of nutrients in our systems)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-1...ture/index.php
excess toxic materials, particularly heavy metals and toxins

anyway...
we are considering options in an upgrade to our next system - which will be either 240 or 290 gal display

have had (((excellent luck))) using DSB
in both 125display and in the 50 display fuge - since the tank has been established nitrates have always been zero... and the tank is thriving.

one serious consideration
that is being taken about this new system is if it would be better to set up a RDSB vs using one in the main display - primarily so that over time the dsb can be switched out/replaced... this way also the main display detritius could then be gravel vacummed out.

setting up a rdsb then also using a dsb in a 75gal display fuge that will be part of the system... and keeping the dsb out of the main display

just being that its going to be a larger system
trying to really think this thru and for the long term...

any thoughts on this?

(thanks)

regards
Old 01/11/2008, 04:16 PM
30 year and over club

I have no thoughts on the DSB because I have not ran one in many years but about the metals accumulating in the rock, I know Dr Shimek has been saying this for years and I just don't see it. It is true that metals may accumulate in rock but I doubt to the extent that they would harm anything with the exception of maybe copper. Not copper from the salt or pipes but from adding it to cure ich.
My rock has been in my system for over 30 years and I even had some metal poisonings from outside sources and the corals seem to be just fine.
Old 01/11/2008, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul B
I have no thoughts on the DSB because I have not ran one in many years but about the metals accumulating in the rock, I know Dr Shimek has been saying this for years and I just don't see it. It is true that metals may accumulate in rock but I doubt to the extent that they would harm anything with the exception of maybe copper. Not copper from the salt or pipes but from adding it to cure ich.
My rock has been in my system for over 30 years and I even had some metal poisonings from outside sources and the corals seem to be just fine.

hi Paul B
thanks for the reply - its funny bec your system was the first thing i was thinking about when i read this article from shimek... hasnt yours been set up over 30years? - how much of the original liverock/gravel/etc do you still have in the system?

dr shimek recoms using oolitic or fine sand for dsb
mentioning that its nec for all the fauna that lives w/n it to be able to survive VS thicker grain size...

when set up our system
we used 'reef floor' which is larger then the recom oolitic sand... i actually chose to go off calfos recom from one of his books which contradicts shimek somewhat... and i feel like we got lucky bec since this system has been established nitrates have never been an issue and i would suppose the dsb has a lot to do w/ this!...

but i do respect reading others opinions/experiences etc
espec those who are doing THE reasearch into so many of the hobby related issues we deal with... and i know i have learned a lot from reading shimeks articles/books
Old 01/11/2008, 06:57 PM
Nothing to put here

There is no way you are accumulating toxins by doing water changes. Just think about it... You are taking just as much water out as you are putting in. Using tap water for top off is a different story though. Also, even if it gets stored in the rock, that's good because it isn't in you water. But it doesn't get stored in your rock anyway. How would it? Diffusion will make sure the concentrations are equal. And even if it did build up in the rock, and even if the rock did start to leach it out, it wouldn't all just explode out at once for no reason. If you keep up regular water changes they will remove everything.

I really wonder where these experts get this stuff.

All that said, I vote for the rdsb, just so if you ever have to remove it for any reason, you don't have to tear the tank apart.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:31 PM
30 year and over club

Warren, Shimek and I got into salt the same year (we are also the same age) but we disagree on many things.
He has the credentials so I won't say anything negative about him.
My gravel has been in my tank for about 40 years. My tank was first fresh water then I changed the gravel (not the water) and added salt and it became brackish. There was no salt water fish for sale in the sixtees. Then in about 1971 I added more salt and salt water fish became available in NYC.
It has been a reef since anemones became available in about 78or 85.
Lobster, the only thing I can say is that I hate to do water changes because I now have no algae but when I change water I know I will get it. I usually don't have algae because I have a trough where I grow it and remove it along with the nitrates and phosphates. When I do a change, even though I use RO/DI I always cause a small algae bloom. This will not happen in a newer tank but a very old tank accumulates a lot of detritus and God knows what else so whatever the algae needs to grow I add with water changes.
I am not saying, don't change the water. This is temporary and will only be a problem in a very old tank.