Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 01/09/2008, 01:25 PM
Delaware Valley Reef Club

40B build w/ coast to coast external OF

Im going to be modding a 40B. My plans are to mill a slot at the top rear of the tank for an OF. The slot would (ideally) be about 1"x 28-30"

I do not plan on removing the plastic trim, but just milling through it, so its purpose isnt really compromised. I was also thinking about glueing (to the top trim) triangular acrylic braces that would help hold the tank shape over time, and also to provide a place to drill and place bulkheads to run a CL to the front of the tank.

For the slot, I was considering 2 ways to do it:

1. Build a fixture for my rotozip, so it mounts flat and sturdy on the tank/trim. and then use it with diamond coated 1/4" router bits, and slowly and carefully grind my way through. (i have dont this on 10G tanks w/ success)

2. Mount the tank on my Bridgeport verticle mill, and go at it with that... I am pretty sure I can mount it securely on it. at least with that, I can more accurately control speed feed and coolant easier.

What do you think? any other options/ideas?

Prop&Save!
...Sure don't know what I'm going for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure...