Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Flow question

I am still working on the flow for my 180 reef. Currently I have a Little Giant 'Quarium 4-MDQX-SC which puts out about 1080 GPH at 6' height (where my outflow is). This gives me about 6 cycles per hour. Now the questions:

Is this flow sufficient? Once fully transfered, I'll have a DSB with approx. 250 lbs live rock and a mix of corals - soft, SPS, whatever looks good and is compatable with the others. A few fish and cleaners (Sifter goby, tang, Maroon, Mandarin plus snails, crabs, hermits and brittle stars)

Overflow box - I have modified the outlet into a J stand pipe and it seems to be working well. I used 1" pipe since it fit in the bulkhead (I did not consider a reducing fitting ) and I am getting an intermittent flushing sound. After reading other threads, I suspect I'll have to go to a 1 1/4" pipe - but I'll still be restricted by the 1" fitting. Or is the drain flex tubing (1 1/2" flex tube) creating a vacum, then releasing it, and creating that noise?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:22 PM
Can't be listed on **

No you will not have enough flow for sps in that tank.

On a 180 I would highly suggest adding a closed loop on the tank that does atleast another 2000 gph, if not 4000 gph. Or add some stream style powerheads (maxi-mods, sureflow, SEIO etc).

On the overflow box do you have an airvent on the J pipe at all? It sounds like you are trying to run at full siphon and so it is pulling out a little more water than is flowing into the box so it is flushing.

Kim
Old 11/14/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Kim,

The J pipe does have a vent hole, though it is small. I'll try drilling it a little larger and see if that helps. I was checking out the Durso page and that has some interesting notes - I may try the air valve at the top of the J to vary the air (with a needle valve) until I get it right.

The flow may be more of a problem, I can either add a second pump (closed loop as you suggested) or the power heads in the tank.

I have looked at the Koralia pumps, but have not seen them in action. Are they any good? I also like the VorTech, but too many $$$. At least either one can be moved easily

Adding a second pump may be a bit more of a problem - either I drill another bulkhead in the sump, or do a closed loop on one end - then I'm limited to about 600 GPH according to the flow estimator. Any suggestions?