Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 11/05/2007, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Anybody use Insteon for lighting control?

I have been considering replacing my lamp timers with something better. I have some Insteon controlled lighting in my home I have been very happy with, so I was thinking of buying 3 Insteon relays (for actinic, daylight, and moonlights) and a PowerLinc serial controller.

My only concern is that I've read numerous complains from people who use X10. Seems like they have reef specific problems with noisy ballasts, etc. I know Insteon is better than X10, but I don't know if it solves any of the problems people have had?

Quote:
X10 distributes command signals over your existing powerlines. INSTEON takes this a step further: This dual-mesh network combines wireless radio frequency (RF) with your home's existing electrical wiring for maximum reliability, and since it's compatible with your legacy X10 products, you won't need to replace all of your existing switches and modules until you're ready.
I would hate to spend $160 and have it not work, as this is money that could go towards an AC Jr. instead.

Any feedback is appreciated.
-Jake
Old 11/05/2007, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

I am with you on this one.

Insteon looks like it would be great for the tank lighting and even wavemaking controls. Personally, i was looking into the software to control the various units. I read into it a bit, and saw that you can program various situations into the software. You might even be able to get your moonlights to mimic the actual moon phase.

Once i get all my lights installed, i am going to give Insteon a shot. I was going to start, like you are suggesting, with just a couple. My thinking though, is that if it doesn't work, i can always just use them for my house.

Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Ch. 1.
Old 11/05/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Grretings
I use a ReefKeeper Controller that is in the same ballpark, in terms of cost, as the Insteon setup you are proposing.

In my opinion, a purpose-built unit that is compact, well-engineered and able to be neatly installed is a better choice than adapting something that is not specific to the task. The ReefKeeper Controller has timing functions for the three lighting scenarios (moon, daylight and actinic), assignable outlets, temperature probe, wavemaker functions, a battery-backed configuration memory and a nice display panel for monitoring everything (among other functions). Insteon would probably work well, but I prefer the purpose-built unit. Just my opinion. Good Luck!
Old 11/05/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

I used x10 and attempted insteon both turned were a flop on my system. You have 50/50 chance of it working depening on your house and system.
I would not use a aquarium controller as a single control for everthing. Small individule systems provide a for more failsafe operation. Ive lost two tanks. One to an AC3 and the other to a RK.

JMO
Mike
Old 11/06/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

How come the Insteon didn't work?

Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Ch. 1.
Old 11/06/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by astrivian
How come the Insteon didn't work?
Insteon uses powerline and rf both are subject to interference. Your microwave will screw with it. There are to many variables to say wether or not it will work with a particular system or house for that matter. Its a going to be trial and error. It is better than plain old x10 but not much. You cant beat good old copper wire for automation.

Don
Old 11/06/2007, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

I bought three of these from home depot and they are GREAT! it comes with a battery back-up and to turn it on manualy you just push the face of the panel and it clicks on, also changes for daylight savings time by itself, for $17 you can't beat it. I couldn't stand my cheap dial timers the time would float until the lights wouldn't go off until 10 pm.
Old 11/06/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

What brand are those timers? And where in HD did you find them? I have never seen ones of what look to be that functionality. Do you happen to remember what they cost?

1-75g FW Planted
1-55g African Cichlid
1-125g w/ 4 turts
1-75g RR Reef
1-12g NC Mantis, 1-12g AP Brittle Star
2-cats
2-dogs (1 Catahoula Leopard Mix & 1 Shepherd Mix)
Old 11/06/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MSU Fan
What brand are those timers? And where in HD did you find them? I have never seen ones of what look to be that functionality. Do you happen to remember what they cost?
Their intermatic dt27's buy a spare. They go out frequently but HD warranties them no question asked. My kids tank eats them on a regular basis.

Don
Old 11/06/2007, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

They cost me $17. each, thats strange I've had these for a year now and they work perfectly, Which type of timers do you recommend?
Old 11/08/2007, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

I've been using Timex digital lamp timers they sell at Target for 2 years now. (I have 5 of them, and none have failed yet).
They have one that is $9.99, but it only has 1 on/off cycle per day. They have a different one that is $10.99 and allows as many on/off cycles as you want (in 1/2hr increments). I would recommend the more expensive one as it has a manual on/off. (the cheaper one doesn't)

They also have battery backup. In fact, I don't know how long they sat on the store shelf, but each one I have bought is still displaying time on the backup battery before I even plug it in for the first time.
Old 11/14/2007, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

I'm in the middle of setting up a similar thing for my tank. The house is mostly X10 using a HAI Omni-LT controller. I added an ALC module to allow me to run the tanks using wired switches rather than X10. Perhaps Insteon offers something similar for those times where X10/RF has difficulties...

There are also several things you can do to improve the signal strength or quality. A simple 'trick' I used once was to extend the X10 transmitter with a long phone cord so that it could be plugged in to the same circuit as the X10 switches were connected to. This worked well for me as the switches weren't working at all before that, but it wasn't for a tank or anything as delicate. I probably would use such a thing on a tank but I'd limit it to controlling non-critical components such as lighting, wavemaker, skimmer...

Also make sure to remove the All-On and All-Off functionality from the controller or devices as this can lead to silly mistakes, specially if you're using other equipment in the house.

BTW, has anyone ever run into problems using the classic 600W dimmers/switches for running pumps and/or MH lighting? I was planning on using controlled outlets but I have a surplus of 600W dimmers I'd rather make some use of... (dimmers can be reprogrammed for non-dimming applications). I've never tried them on a pump before or MH light before... Maximum MH load would be 2x250W.

As for other timers, my latest Coralife dual timer arched itself in the ON position just last week... I've gone through so many timers! There seems to be very little consistency in their quality or reliability, I've had expensive ones die after 6 months and cheap $1 store buys (the ugly ones with the pins) still kicking after 6-7 years.... go figure!