Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/10/2007, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

GE silicone, safe?

I seem to recall someone saying GE window and door silicone was reef safe. Is that true? I need black silicone and would prefer to get it at Home Depot or Lowes. Shipping to Alaksa is absurd. Anyone?
Old 09/10/2007, 07:36 PM
I Like Toast...

Just check the writing on the tubes and make sure it doesn't say anything about a fungicide or antimicrobal (can't remember exactly the wording). You want it to say 100% silicone.

What are you going to be using it for?

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to KEEP fish and his family will soon be eating Ramen Noodles..."
Old 09/10/2007, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

it must be ge I (not II) it is labeled kitchen and bath. MAKE SURE ITS I!
Old 09/10/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

ge I is 100% silicone
Old 09/10/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

I'll check for the 1 and 100% silicone. Using it to build my internal collection and external drain boxes.
Old 09/10/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

just remember its labeled kitchen and bath, i'm not so sure they have it in black though, i think just clear and white
Old 09/10/2007, 08:24 PM
I Like Toast...

Good luck!

I remember reading a LONG thread a while back stating that the Window and Door GE Silicone actually had started using the mold inhibitor too even though is wasn't listed in the ingredients.

It might be worth your peace of mind to just go with the Aquarium Silicone. I have switched to using it recently since a few $$$ saved is a drop in the bucket in this hobby compared to the cost of everything else.

just a heads up...

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to KEEP fish and his family will soon be eating Ramen Noodles..."
Old 09/10/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

you want doors and windows not kitchen and bath. the bath have the fungisides(sp.)
Old 09/10/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navajo
Good luck!

I remember reading a LONG thread a while back stating that the Window and Door GE Silicone actually had started using the mold inhibitor too even though is wasn't listed in the ingredients.

It might be worth your peace of mind to just go with the Aquarium Silicone. I have switched to using it recently since a few $$$ saved is a drop in the bucket in this hobby compared to the cost of everything else.

just a heads up...
hope this isn't true as I recently built my tank using GE 1... so far no bad side effects.
Old 09/11/2007, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

No, no! I asked this same question not that long ago. It's not the GE Silicone I Kitchen and Bath that you want. It's the Window and Door silicone you want. If you read the Kitchen and Bath tube it says something about resisting mold/mildew. The Window and Door stuff says nothing at all about that. I used the W&D stuff without any issues so far.

My guess is that unless it says it contains mildewcide/fungicide, that it probably won't have any major negative effects on anything. But I'd still use GE Silicone I W&D to be safe.