Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 07:07 AM
Registered Member

Haha carol that is awesome. Wonderful job! Keep it up. Now I really need to come check that out now.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

I saw them.. they were super happy and frisky. I just never knew for sure if you hypo'd them or not. I lean towards your method. Observation and treat if necessary.. Hypo though is not necessarily medicating. Iv had nothing but issues with qting fish and i only get my fish from FAOIS too.. Ill be wearing my LJ's
Old 12/31/2007, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poknsnok
I saw them.. they were super happy and frisky. I just never knew for sure if you hypo'd them or not. I lean towards your method. Observation and treat if necessary.. Hypo though is not necessarily medicating. Iv had nothing but issues with qting fish and i only get my fish from FAOIS too.. Ill be wearing my LJ's
The good thing is, I have NEVER had a fish die from faois. He has some of the best husbandry with all his livestock that I have ever seen in a LFS.

What fish is next Carol?
Old 12/31/2007, 08:10 AM
Underground Art Studio

I must add - I take full responsibility for my QT'ing and not where I purchased. It's my responsibility to ensure they are ready not my LFS - just some I trust more then others.

My 65 will be broken down today. I've been having a lot of problems with it - lost my MH two weeks ago (got a new one in), Lost my return pump - Thanks Joe for the new Mag 9, lost a Tunze pump 6025 - I've had nothing but problems with those things ( ran backwards when I first got it, clamp broke twice, now the prop/magnet keeps pulling forward so it stops working. For 60$ I really expected more - but now I don't have to use them! Not sure what will actually go in today - we'll see how it goes with everything.

Here's my levels - just finished taking them:
Calcium - 430
Alk - 8 dKH
SG - 1.026/35ppm
Magnesium - 1410
Ammonia - 0
Nitrates - 0
Old 01/01/2008, 07:16 AM
Underground Art Studio

Yesterday we were able to break down the 65g tank and put all the fish into the 280 - yeah!!!! Nothing will be added for at least a week after this last bio-load. I'll be really watching the ammonia and nitrate levels.

Here are my fish in the 280 at this point:
2-Amphiprion ocellaris
1-Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
2-Gobiodon histrio
4-Halichoeres chrysus
1-Stonogobiops yasha (Yes I got him out of the sump )
1-Ecsenius lneatus
1-Wetmorella nigropinnata
13-Chromis viridis
The 75g will not be broken down for a few weeks - depending on how the 280g handles the additional load. I want all the small fish to settle in before adding the bigger fish. We shell see how it goes!
Old 01/01/2008, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Carol,

Which tank was the 65? The one that was in the back by the seahorse tank?
Old 01/01/2008, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

New Nano,

The 65 was the tank in the living room. It was the tank with the green sinularia in it. Carol made a few frags of it before she put it in the 280
Old 01/02/2008, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefArtist
Thanks Eric and Joey - I'm hoping the lighting works out otherwise it will be 6 - 8 months of getting to like it - LOL.

The sliders are 6' and I can completely uncover the tank. I'm trying to get them done today so I can see how much room I have when they are to the max removal point. I'm hoping for about 1.5 ft of space. The next issue will be the length of power cables - might need to purchase longer ones.
So, since I'm planning to completely rip off your excellent idea for the light rack what did you use for the sliders?

I got my kids 529 plan invested right outside my living room wall...red house shows all.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:24 PM
Underground Art Studio

Hey Joey - you can rip off any of my ideas - LOL. They are pocket door rails and sliders. Here's the web site where I got the hardware and the Aluminum tracks:
Pocket Doors

I just moved my T5's to the top of the mounting bracket - they were just a little to close to the water. Now everything travels so smoothly, they are great.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

looks so sweet!

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 01/02/2008, 09:07 PM
Patient Reefer

Joe keeps telling me how good things look. I've got to get over there!
Old 01/02/2008, 09:17 PM
Underground Art Studio

Sure thing Mike - you are welcome at my house any time. Joe was over today - we just sat all day watching the fish. He pretended to have a broken hand - I think he's just sliding that cast on and off so I wouldn't make him work .
Old 01/02/2008, 11:41 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Just caught up on your thread, everything looking sweet! Very nice attention to the little details

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure thing Mike - you are welcome at my house any time. Joe was over today - we just sat all day watching the fish. He pretended to have a broken hand - I think he's just sliding that cast on and off so I wouldn't make him work .
LOL... I carried a bucket.. Take my word on it..itll be TOTM... EVERYTHING looks great
Old 01/03/2008, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1284073

Carol, room for 1 more? this has you written all over it
Old 01/03/2008, 02:43 PM
Underground Art Studio

I think that would be like me having (10) 250W - now that's got to be a hot little tank!
Old 01/03/2008, 02:51 PM
Underground Art Studio

Hey Bryan, dandy7200 and Mike - thank you. Things are starting to come together but man do I still have a lot of work to do!

I must say, it sure is nice to have only one tank in the living room - Muuummm or two - ok three (280g, Sea Horse and Infinity) ! How did that happen .
Old 01/03/2008, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Joey - you can rip off any of my ideas - LOL. They are pocket door rails and sliders. Here's the web site where I got the hardware and the Aluminum tracks:
Pocket Doors

I just moved my T5's to the top of the mounting bracket - they were just a little to close to the water. Now everything travels so smoothly, they are great.

I'm going to try a slightly different approach with a drawer slide. I have a heavy duty one that travels 24"...hopefully that will be enough travel, if not...pocket sliding door tracks it is.

My main concern is with the clearance I have, my MH will be sitting about 3" from the water...I'm hoping that is enough.

I got my kids 529 plan invested right outside my living room wall...red house shows all.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:43 PM
Underground Art Studio

Wow - three inches and I thought mine were close! I know Mike (MFLamb) is using them and I think he's happy.

Here's a few photo to show the tank with some corals. These are the corals that are out of my 65g - I still have the 75g corals and fish to add. Might be a Sunday or next weekend before that is finished.

Full tank shot - notice I removed the black background as I'm not sure I like it.

This is the left side of the tank. I love the little chromis, they've been hiding in the Nana which is very cool to watch.

This is the center area.

A little closeup of the center area.

Right side of tank.

All parameters are about the same, pH went a little low but I used some buffer and now it's staying around 8.2 during the day and 7.9 at night.

Last edited by ReefArtist; 01/04/2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Looks nice. That is cool you have corals to transfer from your tanks.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 01/04/2008, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Looks great Carol, I need to get over there and see it in person.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:21 PM
Underground Art Studio

erics3000 - yes it is nice but let me tell you it's not been easy taking care of all the other tanks while you're trying to build another. That said it would be soooo hard to sell my livestock once I have them established in the tank - not sure if I could. That's the reason I still have freshwater - I've had them forever and will until the last one is gone.

boydx6 - yeah you do need to get back over here. A lot of things have changed from page 4 of this build! You know you and your family are always welcome .
Old 01/04/2008, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

wowee. i cant wait. you plan on keeping this thread going for at least a few years right? thats gonna look sooo sweet as soon as all thoes frags grow in! im excited thinking about it and it sucks cuz i wanna see it right now! very well done!
Old 01/05/2008, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

Wow Carol, that tank rocks. Cant wait to see all those corals grown out in there. They have so much room to grow hehe. NICE WORK!!!
Old 01/06/2008, 07:16 PM
Patient Reefer

Carol, how did the 4 Yellow Wrasses respond to each other?