Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/19/2007, 10:56 AM
Reef Tank Addict

Pain in the butt CROCEA... Help

OK

so my crocea doesnt wanna stay put, I place him up high in my tank, and he doesnt budge all day, come the next am, its in the sand, this is day 3 of this and I dont wanna do it another day, I was thinking of keeping it in the sand and putting a rock under it,

I have 250x2 10k halides in my 90 gallon

Will this be OK for the clam ?

thanks
Old 01/19/2007, 01:51 PM
Nano Reefer

I would just do that. 250w metal halides should be plenty of light, and even if he isn't completely happy with the light, at least it will be less stressful for it then constantly falling in the sand.

This is what I am doing with my crocea in a 30g cube with 150w metal halides, and everything seems to be going well.
Old 01/19/2007, 04:07 PM
Reef Tank Addict

Thanks for the reply

I figured excactly what you said, I cant let it fall down the rocks another night, its been open nicely all day in the sand, I'll just get a flat rock for it and let it attach there, looks good down on the bottom as well
Old 01/20/2007, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

isn't the reason why they jump off rocks is b/c they don't like it where they are?? maybe you could try placing it in a different part of the tank up on the rocks? just a thought...
Old 01/21/2007, 08:16 AM
Reef Tank Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by scapes
isn't the reason why they jump off rocks is b/c they don't like it where they are?? maybe you could try placing it in a different part of the tank up on the rocks? just a thought...

Very limited on the room for clam placement

I placed a nice flat rock just under it in the sand, its WIDE-OPEN and my girl loves it where it is now so I guess its-staying

(I gotta let her have SOME say)

Old 01/21/2007, 09:35 AM
Nano Reefer

I have now since moved the entire rock, with the clam attached (attached in less than a week), to the top of my tank. The system with the rock in the sand worked perfectly. Mine seemed to even have enough light in the sand with 150w in my 30g, but i moved it to the top so that it could be as "happy as a clam". I know, I'm cheesy...
Old 01/21/2007, 09:37 AM
Nano Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by scapes
The whole point behind this post was because the clam would not stay anywhere "up on the rocks" because of limited spacing. Also, clams can not jump. You are probably thinking of anenomes that can detach/attach themselves to their liking.
Old 01/21/2007, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

so sorry