Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/10/2005, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Which combo

I am currently trying to decide which combo of wrasses I want to put in my tank. It is a 58g tank that will be mainly SPS. Right now all I have is a pair of percs in the tank. I am thinking of adding about 3 wrasses but not sure which combination would be best

1. 1 male and 2 females of the same species most likely carpenters (Paracheilinus carpenteri) or filamented (Paracheilinus filamentosus)

2. 3 different species. Likely 1 carpenter or filamented, 1 scotts (Cirrhilabrus scottorum) and 1 longfin (Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis)

If I go with the 2nd option will I have problems with aggresion between them? Would give me a bit more variety.
Old 09/11/2005, 01:55 AM
Premium Member

Hi Amand,
I tried number 1 for a while. I had great difficulty getting carpenters females and when I finally did one started turning into a male in QT. I already had a male so that didn't work out. The fish later died still in QT so I never saw what would have happened in the display. I later lost my male to ich and have just replaced him.
I've decided to go your #2 route. My male carpenters regularly flash their reflections and the clarkiis so I don't need females to get him to display. Plus the wrasses won't spawn in captivity. I don't have experience with the other 2 wrasses on your list. I'm going to get a labouti and a lineatus. Get the carpenters first as they are more passive. The longfin may be close enough in body shape and color to cause a problem. I consided it but decided against it for that reason.

Good luck,
Phil
Old 09/12/2005, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Thanks, if I go route 1 I am going to try to get them all at once but not sure how possible that will be. If I go route 2 I am not really set on those 3. Just a few of the ones I liked. I really liked the lineatus as well but thought that was even closer to the carpenters then the longfin and at about 200 each not cheap. Will have to take a look at them again.