Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/21/2005, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Florida Gulf Rock = increased phosphates???

I went to the LFS today and he planted the seed. I came home and searched google groups regarding the florida phosphate mining industry and it seems that this could be true? millions of gallons of phosphate waste dumped into the gulf yearly.

Any opinions?
Old 02/21/2005, 08:36 PM
2008 is going to be great

maybe that has something to do with red tide
Old 02/21/2005, 08:53 PM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

I wouldn't worry too much about phosphates being dumped into the Gulf. Unlike our tanks, the sea has fantastic dilution capabilites. As far as rock goes, aquacultured "Gulf Rock" from TBS and Gulfview a.k.a Floridaliverock is not from Florida. It's imported Bahamian limestone, the lowest in phosphates.

Last edited by Saltz Creep; 02/21/2005 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03/11/2005, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

phosphate leaching

I have around 90lbs of TBS live rock in my tank. For about a year an a half I kept getting phosphate readings. I only used RO water the whole time. It was inexplainable. I always, believed the rock was to blame but had no way to explain. I wouldn't be surprised that one way or another significant levels of phosphate has found its way into this rock

I posted more on it at this thread
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=542677