Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/16/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Stupid Plumbig Question(s)

Starting my first over-flow display and need what i assume is a stupid question answered:

(a) If my durso standpipe is 1 1/4" leading to a sump below the DT, I assume that portion of pipe should also be 1 1/4"?

(b) If I want to return with an inline pump, say a GenX, what would be a good diameter of pipe to lead back to the return.

55g w/ 600g rated overflow, AGA

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04/16/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

if your tank is AGA, it probably has a 1"drain and a 3/4" return. Your durso can neck down to 1" to get through the bulkhead, and can remain that way all the way to the sump. (a system is only as fast as it's narrowest point... to an extent). I would get a return pump slightly less than 600 GPH, or design in a way to throttle back the pump (via a ball valve is typical). Using 3/4" return plumbing should be fine. Good luck!
Old 04/16/2007, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Based on your 55gal AGA, i would agree w/ sugarbaker.

1-1/4 Durso, 1-1/4 coupling, 1-1/4 slip adapter to 1" slip, 1 AGA bulkheads, 1" piping, 1" ball valve, 1" Flex PVC underneath to sump would be how I would generally hook it up.

For return you might need to look something less than 600gph just like what was suggested. Perhaps a Mag 5 or even 3.5.
Throttling back a larger pump would generate more heat than a properly sized one.

Remember most of your circulation should be within the display, using powerheads and such. Furthermore your drains maybe rated for 600 would probably be less.
Old 04/16/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

sugarbaker: you are correct, the drain is a 1" bulkhead and the return is a 3/4" bulkhead. The holes v bulk head diameter threw me for a loop the first time I started ordering....LOL.

reef_doug: Thanks, I'm with you on circulation, and not attempting to create turn-over with the return pump. I'll have a SEIO or something in the tank to create it. Also heat is a slight issue in the summer time for about a month or so and I'd like to limit the exposure with an inline.
Old 04/16/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

I forgot to thank you guys.......thanks.