Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/30/2007, 05:16 PM
Life's better on 1 wheel

Saw a hammerhead shark today

Today while snorkeling I was in about 3-4 feet of water off the smaters beach in key west. If you know the beach its just past the poles. I saw a 4 foot hammerhead!!! It was AWESOME. I have never seen one before. Earlier in the day I went diving and went to abotu 95 feet deep and saw a wreck called the cayman salvager. Then we went to the reef and dove in about 20-25 feet and saw lots of fish including jaw fish, groupers, nurse sharks, wrasses, angels, etc. Check out the pics under "keywest" on my myspace page.

click on the red house for my MYSPACE page with pics of my tank
Old 08/30/2007, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

It's always cool to see fish in their natural habitat. Sharks always get a bad rap, but are always neat to see in the ocean. I remember sitting on a small hump on a wall dive in the Cook Islands several years back just watching the wildlife when a 10+ foot hammerhead swam by - incredible to see.
Old 08/30/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

thats awesome! a friend of mine just got back from a kayak trip/dive in San Diego and he saw a school of sharks (can't remember what kind, but they were 3-4' long).

29 g FOWLR
35# LR, 40# LS
3 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
and various snails and hermits
Old 08/31/2007, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

I just got back from the keys too. Glad that Hurricane Dean stayed so far South. Did you check out the reef at Louu Key or Sombrero?
Old 08/31/2007, 08:44 AM
Keeper of Tangs

awesome wd!!
Old 08/31/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

I have a spacial kind of affinity for Hammerheads. First met up with one while living in Australia. At one point I spent a month living on a little atol island in the Great Barrier, diving everyday. One day while spear fishing and snorkling off the shore (catching dinner) with two mates, we were visited by a 8-9ft hamemrhead. It was extremely attracked to the speared fish. One of my buddies ended-up with a gash in his lower leg before we managed to get back into the dingy we were using to put the speared fish in. That is the short version fo the story.

Many years later, on my honeymoon in Fiji, while my wife and I were diving, we encountered a school of about 18 hammerheads and 6 white tip reef sharks. The hammerheads ranged between 3ft and about 6ft. They just swam and circled and were beautiful to watch.
Old 08/31/2007, 05:55 PM
will work for fish food!

That's real cool!
The sharks in San Diego are leopards, and they breed here in the summer.
You can swim w/ hundreds around you in about 10' of water.
Perfectly harmless.
Old 09/04/2007, 02:12 PM
Life's better on 1 wheel

I didnt make it to lou key or sombrero. I satyed mostly down in Key West. The ship wreck dive was cool though. The cayman salvager sits in 100ft of water. I have never been down over 60-65 feet before this trip. I was amazed at how much life there is at 90 ft deep.

Old 09/04/2007, 02:39 PM
Moved On

Saw this thresher Sunday. Very sad.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007...potted_at.html
Old 09/04/2007, 03:27 PM
Life's better on 1 wheel

here is a web site I found from one of the dive shops down there and they have a few pics of the wreck....

http://www.subtropic.com/trips/cayman.html

Old 09/04/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

I was spearing the other day and encountered an very aggressive 7' hammerhead. I had to poke him with my spear gun because he was way to close. I had just shot an fish in the area.
Old 09/04/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

lou key is awesome! have snorkeled/dived there numerous times.

would go there as a break when we were diving for lobster. grandparents lived on big pine for about 8 years, would go there at least twice a year.

i agree, i love seeing fish in their natural habitat. Anyone catch the Blue Planet series on discovery?