Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/05/2005, 01:21 AM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

Question Most Fish Per Gallon?...

Whassup everyone,
I'm curious as to what you guys keep and in what quantity per gallon, successfully....

I have a 90 gallon and I keep....

1- royal gramma
2- firefish goby
3- purple goby
4- five chromis
5- keyhole angel
6- flame angel
7- lemon peel angel
9- sleeper goby
10- rittori (magnifica) anemone
and that's it for now...I'm looking to add two true perculas, one regal tang and lastly a blonde naso. I know it's a lot, but so far so good. I've been adding one every two to four weeks.
Old 05/05/2005, 01:29 AM
Ocean Freak

you already are at the limit. adding more fishes wont be good. not for them neather the WQ. i really dont believe in the rule of "inches per gallon" but there is defenetly a limit. you are already there
without water" - Sylvia A. Farle, Project Director
Sustainable Seas Expedition

Kenny
Old 05/05/2005, 01:36 AM
Premium Member

Ouch, I'm gonna feel sorry for your fish, based simply on possible aggression alone. On another note, have you any idea how large Naso tangs will grow? It'll hardly have room to turn around in a standard AGA 90G.

IMO, fish per gallon shouldn't be a factor in saltwater unless you choose only the most peaceful of gobies. SW fish are territorial and do need plenty of space to themselves.
Old 05/05/2005, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

I dont know much about limits in this respect, but I am a firm believer in less is more.

Also, not that I am accusing you of not researching it, but unless your 90 gal tank is oddly shapped, that ritteri anemone is going to outgrow it quickly. Also, they are very very difficult anemones to keep. We were sold one under the false pretense that it was a Sebae. It didnt last 3 days. Read up on 'em if you havent.

Also, I'm not the tang police, but I'm gonna reccomend that if you dont want a visit from them, that you avoid adding the tangs. Several sites say that they'll be fine, but they wont, I promise.

And now to the original point of your post, the stocking in our tanks:

41gal:
- 3x Damsels (we were victims of the "cycle with these" before we found the boards)
- 1x Saddleback Clownfish
- 1x Lawnmower Blenny
- 1x Sebae Anemone

- We also have countless zoanthid frags/colonies, mushrooms, and polyps, some LPS, and Xenia.
Old 05/05/2005, 01:51 AM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

whassup tek,
yeah, I was a victim myself the first time around with the yellow tail damsel, it would peck me to death when I tried to clean the tank...."BAD DAMSEL!".....lol Anyways, I had to get rid of'm. Also, like I said I know it's a lot, but it sure looks great and all the fish get along fine...."all are peaceful"....."don't jinx me"....lol
Old 05/05/2005, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

Even live aquaria reccomends a MINIMUM of 125 gallons for a blonde naso tang, and they need length in the tank, as with all tangs; if my research is correct. Live Aquaria tends to underestimate the volume of water necessary too.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=754

"A 125 gallon or larger aquarium is necessary to provide plenty of swimming room, places to hide, and a tight-fitting lid to prevent jumping to escape. It is aggressive towards other tangs, but peaceful with other fish in the tank."
Old 05/05/2005, 02:15 AM
Ocean Freak

are are "peaceful" for now. but you have you 3 angelfish!! that with age they will start to fight to death. also the royal gramma will become aggresive if doesnt have his own area in the tank. not just a little cave. clowns? forget it. say buy to you gobys. they are very aggresive and territorial. blonce naso in a 90g? think about
without water" - Sylvia A. Farle, Project Director
Sustainable Seas Expedition

Kenny
Old 05/05/2005, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

Stop where you are or trade out the angels for a docile species (algae grazer like a Kole or powder blue/brown would work and they are pretty). I think you need to upgrade to a 180...LOL
Not a sellout!
Old 05/05/2005, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

Have to agree with the warnings so far. Your tank is far too new to be able to determine long term effects of what you're doing. Oh, and "looks good" is NOT a vaild reason for putting living animals into mortal danger intentionally and, now, knowingly.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 05/05/2005, 11:37 AM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

Whassup Kd,
I didn't know you were also on these boards...."welcome". Mortal danger is a bit of a stretch, they're doing just fine...
If I thought they would be in any danger at all they wouldn't be there...."notice the fish are all peacefull". I've known others that have more stocks in smaller tanks with aggressive fish...."lion, triggers,eels, etc.
Old 05/05/2005, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

I see you at least don't change your practices from site to site. You're less equipped to judge stress levels and aggression than everyone else who has anwered here based on your level of experience. But then, you know that already, don't you? You wouldn't have asked otherwise, right? The answers you have gotten have all been unanimous. While you may not see it now, your fish are in for a world of hurt in all likelihood down the road. It's a shame really, that despite what you "know" it's not what you'll ADMIT to yourself. Success with marine life is measured in life spans that are often more than a decade long. From the collective experience here, and the advice given, you'll see that you, or the people stocking smaller tanks with larger and more aggressive fishes, are never going to acheive that level of success. I guess it all ties in with the basic human desire for newness. Many hobbyists don't see their tanks containing the same exact specimens for DECADES as success simply because they like to see and buy new fish. For those of us who CAN keep fish to their natural life expectancies and beyond, "new fish" means "new tank", hence, I have 7.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 05/05/2005, 12:23 PM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

whassup Kd,
"seven tanks?!" my god, I don't want to run a lfs. I gotta give it to you...."that's a lot of work". I'll keep you posted as to what happens, if anything. And if you're right, which I'm assuming you are, based on your experience. I will let you know, as I expect to be knowing & seeing you on these boards for a long time..."I always appreciate your input".
Old 05/05/2005, 12:34 PM
The Original Happy Banana

This is why the tang police were invented in the first place.

This really disturbs me. I have to deal with people like this everyday in the medical field -- they keep making decisions that adversely affect their health and then they think it is our duty to make sure they are well enough so they can do it again.

This reminds me of the same thing.

If you've really had 12 years of experience benray4fun, then you should already know better. You'll end up wondering why your fish only live a couple of years.
Old 05/05/2005, 12:44 PM
Moderator Clone

I'll add my voice to the chorus. Your current stocking level is more than enough for a 90 gallon tank. As those fish grow (assuming they live), they will stress the biological and behavioral carrying cpacity of the tank (the biofilter and aggression between the fish due to lack of space). Anything at all that gets slightly out of whack on your tank, and you will probably lose most of your fish to disease (contrast that to the same tank with less fish, same thing goes wrong and all the fish survive).

On top of the above, you propose to add add a huge amount of biological and behavioral load. If you do, the crash will come much more quickly.

FWIW,
Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 05/05/2005, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

It’s pointless.. I think the poster has already made up his mind and is getting more fish for his 90 gallon tank.

For every conscientious / concerned reef keeper there are 5 people who will keep 5 tangs in a 55 gallon tank. It makes me hate this hobby for what it does to the poor marine creatures we keep.
Old 05/05/2005, 12:57 PM
Moderator Clone

Don't be a hater. All that does is alienate all five - including the one out of those five that we might be able to convince to act more responsibly. Winning over that one is worth the patience.

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 05/05/2005, 12:58 PM
Moved On

I have a 90 also. With about 10% of the load yours has.
2 Percs and 2 Bangaii cardinals.
Get a clue, just because the will live in a small tank doesn't make it right, and just because other people stock their tanks fuller than even you doesn't justify the fish you have in yours.
Old 05/05/2005, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Everyone, he is well aware of the dangers that await him, but if you took 10 seconds to read his post, he wanted to know YOUR stocking levels. Yes he did ask for info on adding thoes, but he original intent wasnt to get everyone jumping down his throat. As of now, I think we should assume that he is informed and let it be at that.
Old 05/05/2005, 01:11 PM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

whassup guys,
at least all you are on the same page. I was just wondering how much other people stock in their tanks is all. I didn't mean for this thread to be a flame thread. In anycase, I'm almost done and I will keep you posted.

Anyone else with big stock...."PLEASE POST"...I'd like to know.
Old 05/05/2005, 01:37 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by tekknoschtev
As of now, I think we should assume that he is informed and let it be at that.
To quote the Steven Seagal movie Under Seige 2: Dark Territory, "Assumption is the mother of all," um, mistakes...

Kevin
Old 05/05/2005, 01:39 PM
picker of the nose

Well, as far as my stocking goes
I've got 7 fish in a 92 corner, and I think it's pretty much at the limit
(3) firefish gobies
(1) diamond goby
(1) red banded goby
(1) coral beauty (wish I could get him out)
(1) lime wrasse (same as above)

the heat may have something to do with the stocking levels as well
the cooler your tank is, the more you can put in in theory.
Old 05/05/2005, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Anemone
To quote the Steven Seagal movie Under Seige 2: Dark Territory, "Assumption is the mother of all," um, mistakes...

Kevin
Yes, indeed, it is, however, it's not gonna get this thread any where else to continue flaming him. Everyone here has stated their opinion, but no one can enforce their opinions on him, so lets get back to the original intent of this thread (which I know for a fact wasnt to flame him). I'm not saying I agree with what he's doing, but its not worth the effort in flaming him.
Old 05/05/2005, 02:33 PM
The BS stops here!

I think that it is really nice that sooooo many of you have learned to speak "fish" so that you know when all is well and when it is not.

I am curious, how often do your fishy's come down with the flu and where did you get the thermometer to take their temperature. Also where do you take your fish for counseling when they are stressed.

Give it a break all of you doomsayers. Fish are all different just like people, two of the same "family" will act totally different and will get along differently in their surroundings.

I say keep what appeals to you. and tell every one else to go to h***.

Jimmy
Old 05/05/2005, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

90 Gal.
2 Chromis
1 Perculas
1 Clown
1 Yellow Tang
1 @%$#@!@~!@ Damsel
2 RBTA
Im happy
Old 05/05/2005, 03:10 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by tekknoschtev
Yes, indeed, it is, however, it's not gonna get this thread any where else to continue flaming him. Everyone here has stated their opinion, but no one can enforce their opinions on him, so lets get back to the original intent of this thread (which I know for a fact wasnt to flame him). I'm not saying I agree with what he's doing, but its not worth the effort in flaming him.
I haven't seen him "flamed" yet. If one posts on a bulletin board looking for people to agree with a POV (which is what he has done here, he's looking for approval), that person has to expect people to also disagree - and be able to handle disagreemment if it is made in a non-derogatory, non-insulting manner.

FWIW, the worst post on this thread (read: most inflammatory) was one by someone in support of the original poster.

Kevin