Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 02/12/2005, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

medical advice

Does anybody know of a way to treat a dislocated collar bone other than keeping it strapped so it can't move? I broke my right arm severly last sunday and dislocated my left collarbone. Since I'm by myself most of the time I have to take care of everything myself and can't afford to just lie down and rest it. All I've been able to do so far is take some pain pills and learn to live w/ the pain. Is there any danger of injuring it more by not immobilizing it? I had to come out of the hospital and straight to work because of some deadlines and I'm having to use my lest arm for everything. I try and keep it as still as possible but I have to do a lot of work w/ my left arm and to make things worse I drive a standard shift truck to work. I can shift alright w/ my left hand but it puts a lot of strain on my collarbone reaching across to shift.
Old 02/12/2005, 12:33 PM
Guardian of Little People

Ouch Didn't your doctor give you any recommendations?

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 02/12/2005, 12:44 PM
Ready For Some Football

There is the risk of having a permanent non-union. Immobilization is the best course. There is also the risk og nerve damage from the repetitive motion over the nerve. Could cause use and function problems later. There is the risk that chronic pain known as RSD Reflex Sympathetic Dysthrophy could develope. This will require a lot of medication for pain, which could lead to chemical dependency. I don't know you or your personal situation but weigh out the few weeks of immobilozation versus the potential for long term life altering scenerios. Chronic pain and chemical dependency changes who you are as a person. Take care of yourself...no one will care for you like you,,except Jesus

Old 02/12/2005, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
There is the risk of having a permanent non-union. Immobilization is the best course. There is also the risk og nerve damage from the repetitive motion over the nerve. Could cause use and function problems later. There is the risk that chronic pain known as RSD Reflex Sympathetic Dysthrophy could develope. This will require a lot of medication for pain, which could lead to chemical dependency.
Thanks for the advice. That the same thing my doctor told me and was the reason he kept me in the hospital for over 5 days. I'll see if I can work out off my hotel room w/ a laptop computer so I don't have to move around too much. Today I've been wearing a sling on my left arm eeven though it is my right one that is broken. After next week things should calm down where I can rest it more.