Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Coral & Livestock Trading

Old 02/09/2005, 05:41 AM
Premium Member

Count me in.
Old 02/09/2005, 12:15 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishguru
The best way you might accomplish this, is to do this.....Instead of having people fighting over zoos from certain people.....
Names are picked at random by me, out of a hat and matched up. No picking is involved as to who want what from someone else.

Quote:
make 2 lists, and the beginning person on the list would have to have a thermos. They send a frag of zoos determined by the agreement, to the next person on the list, once that person gets the zoos, they send their frag to the next person on the list.
I'm guessing there are about 30 to 50 people once this is said and done. To have 5 different lists of people, where any one person can bring an entire group of people to a complete stop if it takes them a week to get something out, would be a bad thing. If everyone trades at the same time, I'd say 90 to 95% will have gone smooth. The remaining 5% would take a few extra days, with a few of them taking a week. No single point of failure to the system with the current plan.

Quote:
USPS Priority is fairly quick unless you ship coast to coast. so maybe could dividde the list into west coast east coast to start....as fast as this can go, you can get 3-4 rotations out of it on a good season.
With random trades outside your area you can get things that maybe are not in your area for you to buy or trade for. Besides, with sending a frag out to two different people, you get two of them back. Three to four rotations with my method nets 6 or 8 new frags a year, which is only being paced by me. If I wanted to, I could in fact pace this as a monthly thing and get 7 to 8 trades for 14 or 16 frags if I had a good core group of people that were prompt with everything.

Quote:
We did a thermos trade a few years back, and had 4 thermos's in the mail at any given time, and must have had 4 or 5 pass my door that season. If you post the list roation on the webiste, they can get the persons info right from the site, and maybe have a spot to mark off wether they have something or not to trade at that time, some might only have 1-2 frags available, and after a rotation or 2, might not be able to stay in anymore.
The list is generated from the current list plus any new people. Existing members will rotate with existing members, new members will rotate with new memebers for that swap. That way people who show that they can play nice can play with each other, and people who may not play nice don't screw with the people who really want to do this.

Quote:
(BTW, the list will shuffle after the first run through, as to not get same selection.)
No need to do that as the list is dynamicly generated via the Random Hat Method(tm). I put the names in a hat, and pull them out. =?)

Quote:
Here is what it may look like on the website.....
Personally, nobody's personal info is getting posted anywhere. I'll have a list, and send an email to both people exchanging the contatcs. That way if someone need to get their info again, they can contact me or that person. If the info is wrong, their info was listed in the e-mail and can be seen by all three parties, myself, that person and the person they are trading with. This will help with mistakes and head off misunderstandings. Any one given person will receive two e-mails, one for each party they trade with.

This will also help me avoid "moochers" who don't trade. If someone gives one address then right before the trade happens they send you a completely different set of information, it's a bit shadey. Remember, people who don't play nice will be blacklisted and never be let back in.
Old 02/09/2005, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Sarduci, Looks like your doing a great job with this. Spring can't come around fast enough to get the shipment out.

One thought. I can't remember if it has been mentioned or not, but I think it would be nice to have a selection....to choose from. For instance if I got you I could say I have these three frags, which one would you like? That way you get something you really like. Or do you guys think it would be best to get something put it in your tank, then see what it looks like.

The only problem I can see with this is someone saying they don't want any of the frags, and then screw up that part of the trade.....any comments?

Like I said just a thought.
Old 02/09/2005, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Options

While I agree with what Scribe is thinking, I don't know if everyone has 1, 2, 3 or 4 different zoo frags to offer. They might just have one type or two to offer as a frag. I know for sure that wouldn't be a problem with Scribe because he probably has many to choose from. Some might or might not is what I'm thinking.

I think anyone who want to and is going to join the swap NEEDS to have an open mind and know that they will probably not get what they are wishing for or maybe get something way cool.

In general, folks should just enjoy the experience of the swap, excitement of the anticipation of new zoos and meeting new people on the board.

Just my rambling............

=)
Old 02/09/2005, 02:19 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Ah, more good input from Scribe....

And, I'll have to agree with CritterZ....

Picking and choosing opens us up to what you described, people not wanting to trade because you're not giving them a PPE. If everyone is good to each other, then everything will be fine. If everyone sends everyone brown zoanthids, then I'll just blacklist everyone and file this under things i've done to help people but they were too worried about other people screwing them so they decided to screw everyone.

Now, the one thing I'd have to agree with you on is "special" type zoanthids. One that look like complete junk under anything but one type of light. You should ask if someone would like or be able to keep something like that. If they say no, then send them something else that you would be happy with getting.

It all comes down to being nice to each other. =?) And if we do this a few time for a couple of years, maybe everyone will have PPE's and we'll have to change the rules to say no browns and no PPE's...... ;?)
Old 02/09/2005, 04:27 PM
Got Clams?

im gonna pass, I'll wait for the next one, I liked the way it went last time, and this seems very strange to me, hope it works out for you all...lol
Old 02/09/2005, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

im i got fire red zoos and some others
Old 02/09/2005, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Palys?

With all the talk of browns, I was wondering if palythoas would be considered acceptable? I have a couple varieties that are brown/green that i really like. Here is a pic

I have some nice zoos as well, so no biggie if noone wants these, just curious.
Old 02/10/2005, 09:35 AM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Hi ullnvrguess77,

This time around we're doing Zoanthids only. I made a bad reference to PPE which are actually Palys like you have there. Next time I might organise a Paly or a mushie trade.

Thanks for you input.
Old 02/10/2005, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

but I love palys
Old 02/10/2005, 02:03 PM
HMMM........

I am in also please
Old 02/10/2005, 04:46 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

I'll have to update the list tonight again. I sent PM's out and 5 or 6 people have pulled out, but we have a few more who jumped in......

Paly's are good, and I will be doing a paly swap in the future. Right now though, zoa's I think are a good place to start.
Old 02/10/2005, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Okay, so no PPE's, or any other type of palys. Glad that is cleared up. Looking forward to it.
Old 02/14/2005, 02:58 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

So after a bone-headed trip to Chicago with the girlfriend this weekend, it's time for an update. *note: when buying tickets for shows from ticketmaster, look REALLY close to what date they are for, I swear they changed it on me*

Anyways, some changes to the people list, an update for the rules and a few minor tweaks to come tonight.

And the zoanthids go marching on........ =?)

Edit:
Oh yeah, and I'll be working on the web site tonight also if I have time. On call this week at work....
Old 02/14/2005, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Me too..

Count me in...
Old 02/14/2005, 07:47 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

ok, then send me your information. =?)
Old 02/14/2005, 08:03 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Updated list:
nine9d
Izsabelle
Scribe
goblinsharkman
toddfreshman
trueblackpercula
SuperFishy
CritterZ
jamesonkh
ApexPredator
theevoys
whodah
wildmike
alexchern75
moggyhill
menwaylo
ranran
SuperFishy
Creetin
zack136
Debknapp
corro
Steve C.S.
ykh
ronkent
darcitananda
theevoys
mdt178
ullnvrguess77
kewliz
Alexchern75
SandyC
treylane
snowhitejolf
skyedolphan
int19

add per request
Alexchern75
SandyC
Fish_Freek
treylane
snowhitejolf
skyedolphan
int19

out
obed2010 - by request
Fish_Freek - by request

Last edited by sarduci; 02/14/2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02/14/2005, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

i'm not sure how the admins of the two forums will like the idea, but nano-reef was talking about doing a mass thermos swap.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/show...threadid=49522
Old 02/14/2005, 10:36 PM
Got Pictures?

As far as I can see, our swap seems to be more organized, so I'll just stick to this one
Now Open Water Scuba Certified :)
Old 02/15/2005, 04:46 PM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

hmmmm maybe I should post over there and let them know I'm doing a swap over here.... Or maybe I won't be that rude..... You know, since you're not even part of this one.....

Anyway, one more person removed, leaving us with 30 some odd people left on the list.

zack136 - by request

Working on the web page as we type.
Old 02/15/2005, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

ouch. I'll just back my out of the thread and apologize for trying to be helpful by bringing in more participants and diversity that I am not apart of. Again, sorry for being selfish.
Old 02/16/2005, 12:07 AM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Sorry if I made it sound that way, but to post a link to a different site is subversive to what I'm trying to do. It'd be like me showing up at your party and saying that there's another party down the street.
Old 02/16/2005, 12:09 AM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

.....oh, and Fat Tony is my favorite Simpson's character.... =?)
Old 02/16/2005, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

I want in, thanks
Old 02/16/2005, 09:56 AM
Red Wizard is on a diet!

Great, then send me your information.

Web site is basicly done, it's simple but easy to look through. Just gotta figure out how to use targets in frontpage 2003....