Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography

Old 05/27/2005, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

"cheaper" camera

A couple years ago I bought a Kodak DX4530 camera. At the time it seemed like a really good deal, 5mp for under $400. It takes really good pictures for a "normal" shot (about 3-5' distance) but I have lots of troubles getting a good shot at 20-30'. I was always told to get the "highest MP you can" Now that I know a bit more of what to look for in a camera I realize I should have got something different. What can people recommend for a more inexpensive camera? I don't have $1000+ to drop on one. I was actually thinking of finding a used Canon Powershot A70. Anyone have a opinion on these? (good or bad) One feature I really wished I had was manual focus. Mine just does not do a good job of auto focus...

Thanks, Walter
Old 05/27/2005, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

I have a Canon Powershot A70...bought it several years ago. It's a great little camera. I also have an underwater housing for it and I've taken some really good pictures with it. I recently upgraded to an Olympus C8080, but I still use the Canon regularly.

Jeni
Old 05/28/2005, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

What specs have you found that work best with the A70? I have an A70 but can never really get any good closeup pics.
Old 05/28/2005, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

Hmmm, wanna sell it to me!?

For me, I want manual focus and control over the white ballance (2 things I don't have with my camera). Also the A70 has MANY different lenses/accessories you can buy.

Does anyone have a opinion on this camera?

Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z20

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ra-Review-.htm

Walter
Old 07/17/2005, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

I'm also interested in the Z20....anyone have thoughts?