Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/07/2005, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Well said benray4fun

"Don't worry if someone flames you or doesn't agree with you. Sooner or later you're gonna find people that are independant and have their own opinions"

I am also in the process of buying a house and hope to go back to a 180 by the end of this year, or maybe a 220.

Keith
Old 05/07/2005, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blstravler
Well said benray4fun

"Don't worry if someone flames you or doesn't agree with you. Sooner or later you're gonna find people that are independant and have their own opinions"

I am also in the process of buying a house and hope to go back to a 180 by the end of this year, or maybe a 220.

Keith
I do several things that people don't agree with, but I will back off my comments a little since benray4fun said he will return the fishes when they get larger. That is an unusual thing for people to do IME, but just because many people believe in something doesn't mean they are without their own opinion. I have read this board over the last year or so for many hours, and I have found that you can always find people to agree or disagree with you. That is the beauty of the system.
Maybe some individuals can make a situation work, maybe others can't, but in this hobby there are no laws per se, just experience, and no one, be they supportive or unsupportive of someone should never be afraid to post. Take the criticism in the spirit that it is given, not as a "flame" People are trying to be helpful, and if we get overzealous sometimes it is because we have passionate opinions about the welfare of the critters as well as the hobbyists enjoyment.
I am still interested in how long this tank has been running, and would like to continue to hear updates. Benray4fun, keep posting to this thread occasionally no matter what you do with the tank. Pictures to go with it would be great. If you can successfully keep this tank over a period of time and people on this board, like me, might be forced to revise some of our opinions. This is how we all learn, through personal experience and research. Prove to us unbelievers that it can be done and we will shower you with praise
I can admit that I am wrong...sometimes

I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
Let those winds of time blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead--Jimmy Buffett
Old 05/07/2005, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

Here is all of the fish i have in my 10 years old 200G Oceanic RR reef tank.
8" Emperor angel.------------ 2 years old
8'' blone Naso tang-----------4 years old
7" PBT tang---------------------6 years old
7" Yellow tang------------------10 years old
3" Percula clown----------------4 years old
4" Maroon clown----------------3 years old
2" Yellow-tailed damsel----------9 years old
2"African pygmy angel----------5 years old
3" Red hawk----------------------3 years old
4" Banded blenny----------------7 years old
Old 05/07/2005, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Zoom

What kinds of corals do you have in there?

Old 05/07/2005, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drewcipher
Zoom

What kinds of corals do you have in there?
Go to my Gallery.
Old 05/07/2005, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Excellent...

Old 05/07/2005, 09:46 PM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

Take the criticism in the spirit that it is given, not as a "flame"People are trying to be helpful, and if we get overzealous sometimes it is because we have passionate opinions about the welfare of the critters as well as the hobbyists enjoyment.

whassup Drew,

This is exactly the way I take it..."as stated in my earlier post". I only began getting bent out of shape when some were posting what they thought I was thinking and maybe they didn't really put much thought into that before posting it. So obviously I let'm know about that, as long as they stick to their beliefs and facts or opinions it's cool, but not when someone starts to post what they think you are thinking..."I try to be carefull about what I post most of the time".
I also know that most who posted meant well, especially kd, who I'm familiar with from aqua-link..."I almost took a ride from Connecticut to New jersey for some of his oolitic sand". He flamed me some to a degree or three, but he sticks to his beliefs, facts, and his experience and I value that.

whassup Zoom,
nice collection, I'm gonna have to check out your gallery.

whassup lildragon,
can you please tell me about your filtration system and if you have a sand bottom and anything related to the filtration system. You're the one I was glad that posted, someone had to be doing what I'm doing, that I could exchange information and perhaps learn a bit more..."please post again"
"THANKS"
Old 05/07/2005, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

All good. Are you gonna give us those pictures you mentioned earlier? Also, where in CT? I grew up there, still have family living there.

Old 05/07/2005, 10:15 PM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

All good. Are you gonna give us those pictures you mentioned earlier? Also, where in CT? I grew up there, still have family living there.

whassup Drew,
I live in Hartford, Connecticut. And yes, I'm going to post those pics as soon as I get a chance. I think you'll appreciate'm. Your little 29 gallon isn't that light on live stock either, so you must be a busy little bee sometimes huh?...
Old 05/07/2005, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

Yes I am. I am currently ordering all the pieces to set up a 150 to move them to. On that tank I have a skimmer and a fuge and do weekly water changes. All fishes are still juvenile, thankfully.

Old 05/07/2005, 10:35 PM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

whassup Drew,
Oh yeah!, you're definitely busy now and happy. You must be doing a good job keeping all those fish alive in that 29g. It's a lot harder to maintain a tank when it's smaller, so you're gonna have a blue thumb also when you get going on that 150, I'm sure. "HAVE FUN & GOOD LUCK"
Old 05/07/2005, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by benray4fun

whassup lildragon,
can you please tell me about your filtration system and if you have a sand bottom and anything related to the filtration system. You're the one I was glad that posted, someone had to be doing what I'm doing, that I could exchange information and perhaps learn a bit more..."please post again"
"THANKS"
Hey Benray...I have a 4" DBS, 75 lbs live rock, a 20 gal sump with wet/dry filtration. I run 2 cups carbon, changed every 3 weeks, change my filter floss (sits over the bioballs) every month, and run a protein skimmer that is supposed to be rated for 150 gallons.

I do the frequent water changes for 2 reasons:

(1) I wanted to keep the nitrates down from the wet/dry system because I am planning to get into more corals. That being said, I have gone through two kits and only once have had detectable nitrates.

(2) Thinking ahead, I plumbed in a P-trap underneath my tank with a ball valve that lets me drain off water....with no mess! I have my salt mixed in a room behind the tank and use a small powerhead that is connected to hard-plumbed PVC pipe directly over the tank. Takes me about 5 minutes to do my water change.

Keep in mind that my tank has only been running full tilt for 7 months. I had a scary couple of days when I had a new Leather melt in my tank...can you say emergency water change? I consider myself a newbie...thanks for the "blue thumb" comment, but time will tell if I have earned it!

I plan on getting another 20 lbs of live rock and am setting up a 30gal refugium that will further stabilize my system. I don't plan on getting any more fish...just coral...
Old 05/08/2005, 02:55 AM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

whassup lildragon,
I have a 3.5" dsb, about 15 pounds of premium live rock (need much more) and a 150 wet/dry with a protein skimmer, so far our systems are similar. I also have a magnum 350 canister filter, but haven't needed it yet. I clean my blue pad over the bio-balls every week along with the filter block and change my carbon every month. I also have a magdrive 1200 driving my inline uv, chiller, and wet/dry for the return. I have two 804 power heads with rotating deflectors and one rio 1700 that comes on four times a day for a half hour to simulate high and low tides 10am, 10pm,4am, & 4pm, it works great and the fish love it. Just like you my nitrates seem to be the major concern and am waiting for some infauna from indo pacific sea farms to kick the denitration into overdrive, but for now I'm using de-nitration stuff to keep it from getting out of hand along with water changes. I'll post again and let you know how it goes along as I deal with it. Nice meeting you lil, looking forward to sharing more info in the future.
I run 440 watts of uri vho on an ice cap 660 for about 12 hours a day and it's all run by a solar 1000 dimmer..."very nice". Some time soon I'd like to add two 250 watt DE metal halides, probably the aqua-medic ocean light.
What are you running for lighting now?....
Old 05/08/2005, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

What are you running for lighting now?....
I used to have 440w of VHO lighting 3' over the tank, and last month switch to 4x54w of T5 lighting, powered by an IceCap660 ballast with SLS reflectors....sweet!
Old 05/08/2005, 11:45 AM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

whassup lil,
you know a lot of hobbiest are franting about the t-5's lately..."it almost seems as if it's the latest craze in the hobby". What is the difference to you from the vho's?.....
Also, I hear the t-5's are dimmable, but not with the ice cap ballasts..."is that true?" and if so, "which ballast does it require to make them dimmable?"......oh yeah, and are you ever considering metal halides?....
Old 05/09/2005, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
So you saying that tangs feel safer in a crowded tank?
Yes I do.

People that keep reef aquariums should realy watch animal channel or NG and see how theese organisms that we keep in aquarium live in nature.
If possible aquarist should also dive on tropical reefs to observe it directly.
Even though reefs are much larger than any aquarium can be, many fish live and swim near other fish or in shoals. The fish are not distributed over the reef so that each fish has its equal volume of water. There is reason why fish shoal. They have developed this behaviour over millions of years. It is their instinct. Why should they feel better in aquariums as a single fish?
Old 05/09/2005, 02:30 AM
I need a tank!!!

You are really pushing it man.

*taps on your conscience to see if its still alive*

Come on man. You know better!
Old 05/09/2005, 02:30 AM
I need a tank!!!

Mislav,
The fish also like to be able to turn around in the tank or swim more than one body length.
Old 05/09/2005, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The fish also like to be able to turn around in the tank or swim more than one body length.
I agree.

But that won't be acomplished if less fish is in the tank. If the tank is small fish won't be able to swim or turn around regardles of number of fish inside.
I'm not saying that one should put so many fish inside that it looks as in fisheries.
Old 05/09/2005, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
whassup lil,
you know a lot of hobbiest are franting about the t-5's lately..."it almost seems as if it's the latest craze in the hobby". What is the difference to you from the vho's?.....
Also, I hear the t-5's are dimmable, but not with the ice cap ballasts..."is that true?" and if so, "which ballast does it require to make them dimmable?"......oh yeah, and are you ever considering metal halides?....
The T5s are super bright compared to the VHOs. I switched mainly for cost (bulb replacement frequency) but also because I have a deep tank and may want to go with higher light-loving corals.

My supplier did a lot of research into the T5s before he started selling them, and convinced me to make the switch.

Some T5s ballasts are dimmable, but I believe the IceCap dimmer is now discontinued...Halides are not an option for me because I built a custom light hood on a hinge above my tank....no more room for anything other than flourescents....Check out some of the other threads on T5s...lots of info out there...