Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 05/05/2005, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Tank Move - High Nitrates

After I moved my tank to the basement, due to heat, my nitrates are really high. How can I get them down, but not with water changes, I already do water changes frequently. I need something else. Has anyone ever put Amquel Plus in to their Reef. Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ciali
Old 05/06/2005, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Sorry, there are not any magical potions to remove nitrates, the best way is watching what you put in, more water changes, skimming, etc. Drop it with a big water change.
Old 05/06/2005, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

The nitrates were not high prior to moving the tank?
Old 05/06/2005, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

I'm betting even money on a CC substrate... or the sand was stirred up really good...

any takers?
Old 05/06/2005, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

I'll say this, and I really don't mean to be harsh, but if you are unwilling to do a few big water changes to get the tank in good working order, this probably isn't the hobby for you. Sometimes stuff happens, and we have to role with the punches.

Best,

Chris

~ Touched by His noodly appendage ~
Old 05/06/2005, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Do you have a sump? Chaetomorpha or some other macroalgae can do wonders to reduce (export) nitrates.
"For wisdom is better than corals, and all other delights themselves cannot be made equal to it." (Proverbs 8:11)
Old 05/06/2005, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MCsaxmaster
I'll say this, and I really don't mean to be harsh, but if you are unwilling to do a few big water changes to get the tank in good working order, this probably isn't the hobby for you. Sometimes stuff happens, and we have to role with the punches.

Best,

Chris
I took it as water changes weren't helping not that they are unwilling to be done.

Quote:
Originally posted by guitarfish
Do you have a sump? Chaetomorpha or some other macroalgae can do wonders to reduce (export) nitrates.
I agree. Once I added Chaeto my nitrates came under control but, if you didn't have any nitrates before the move, you probably won't need the fuge/chaeto. Just give it some time to settle.

Good luck!
Old 05/06/2005, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Like I said, I do water changes frequently, but being 17 and working 7 days a week to pay for my car, education, and my tank can get tough. I did get a refugium that I guess I will be hooking up tonight. I do have some other macro algaes in the tank that will be going in the refugium. I guess I'll do a real big water change. I'm also adding Spectra Vital and Reef Vital Formula DNA. The bottles say that "they may give a false high reading for nitrate". Thanks for the help.

Ciali
Old 05/06/2005, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

I don't add ANY additives to my tank except food and kalkwasser drip a couple times a week. My corals (softies) grow like mad. I have bottles of additives I wasted money on and used to add, and know what? Never noticed a difference when I stopped using them. I've read others with similar experience too.
"For wisdom is better than corals, and all other delights themselves cannot be made equal to it." (Proverbs 8:11)
Old 05/08/2005, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm also adding Spectra Vital and Reef Vital Formula DNA. The bottles say that "they may give a false high reading for nitrate".
It's not a false reading .

Where's the nitrate at? I'd quite using these (toss 'em) and go from there.

Best,

Chris
Old 05/09/2005, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

I am a fan on the "no additive club". I would try all natural first.