Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2005, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Im not knocking it by any means at all, Its amazing to say the least.
But the specs are wrong I believe, from the pictures you can see him on top of the tank with his feet hanging over and him hunched up, theres no 5 feet it may be 15 feet long but in the picture it looks 10 feet maybe 12 but thats pushing it. Im a carpentor so Eyeballing lengths comes second nature to me
Erik
Old 10/17/2005, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

I vote 15 it prob goes into the rock a bit so from the pic it looks like 15 to me.
Old 10/17/2005, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

yeah maybe but try that with the 5 wide that won't work but still if hes 6 foot tall thats 12 ish 13 ish. Still thats a massive tank!!
Erik
Old 10/17/2005, 09:54 PM
One Millionth Poster

Registered Member

That is funny, lol
Call Me Ishmael...

Using the above pic:

If he's 6'6" and the tank extends 3/4 of the way into the rock on each end (right is "deeper" than left), it would be 15'.

But, why is anyone nit-picking the dimensions?? It's a freakin' awesome tank -- 13' or 23' long!

Dwain
Old 10/17/2005, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

I agree amazing, hey dcoufal what is that brittle star eating?
Old 10/17/2005, 09:58 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
But, why is anyone nit-picking the dimensions??

Nothing else better to do I guess, 1700 gallons will eat up some floor space though, they should do the math. DOC
Old 10/17/2005, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

not nit-picking just wanting to no it its really that big
Can anyone dispute the 5 foot wide fact?
Erik
Old 10/17/2005, 09:59 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldStripe
Can't wait to see the list of equipment. spazz did you take notes while you were there... Seems like you remembered a lot. I'd have been to anxious / excited. Good work!!
i just got an email back from the owner and he gladly invited me over for another photo shoot. im hoping i can get my head screwed on straight and ask some intillegent questions instead of leaving puddles of drule on his beautiful hardwood floors, and making sounds like im half insane.
Old 10/17/2005, 10:00 PM
Call Me Ishmael...

Quote:
Originally posted by willjeff
I agree amazing, hey dcoufal what is that brittle star eating?
A large piece of mysis that a snail didn't want to give up. Guess who won?

Dwain
Old 10/17/2005, 10:01 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by fishman805
spazz.... As everyone has already stated ( and I just now saw this thread ) that is an amazing tank .... I've got a thread in the Reef Discussion forums called "Home Reef Videos".... It's the largest thread in RC totally devoted to videos made and produced by "us" here in RC .... I'd like to point you to a couple of folks that might help you host a video for here and especially on my thread for ALL to see... contact: AJP or melev.... both RC members I'm sure they'll hook you up especially when you tell them about this tank and it's size.....

Bob
i will ask the owner if its ok if i videotape the system and fish room. if its ok i will try and get the details worked out to get this hosted on the net. stay tuned.
Old 10/17/2005, 10:14 PM
no time for spell check!

as for the dimentions of this tank. please dont start an argument about this. its little things like this that would cause the owner to just stay a away from comming on here and talking about his system and the the animals he has. i think this is why he asked me not to post who has this wonderful reef. i do know he has all the pictures from building this reef. and im hoping i can copy some of them next time i am over to his house. just be pacient with me and my descriptions of this system. i dont know the system that well. a 2 hr tour is hardly an expert at it. i will try and find out alot more next time im there. but i do know this tank is 15 feet long. and 5 feet wide. and i will prove it next time im there. so please let this be the last of this argument.
Old 10/17/2005, 11:17 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

if i remember right it does go into the rock.

LOL guess you have to take a tape measure since some people can't just let a nice tank be a nice tank

lets stick to the eye poping tank and not get hung up on if it is or isn't...if they say it is...it IS. i know the guy and he isn't a lier.

it was HUGE when i saw it so i would believe all of it

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 10/18/2005, 12:38 AM
Premium Member

Wow! That is an amazing tank. I would go see that tank over any public aquarium I know of. Heck, maybe someday I will be lucky enough to see it. (fingers crossed)

I agree that the nitpicking should stop here. A beautiful tank has been posted and someone always has to sweat the small stuff. It is reasons like this that the owner probably prefers to stay anonymous. That and I can't imagine the flood of pm's and emails he will get when he "comes forth".

Looking forward to more pics and specs in the future. I would really like to hear more about the skimmer and see more pics of it.
Old 10/18/2005, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

Yes truly great tank, and spazz when you go there take pictures of the tank not him, lol, just messin with you, i cant wait until you go back, ask him if you can bring your scuba gear? lol

And for those of you who cant wait for more pics they actually have some of the manufacturing pics of this tank on the Midwest Custom (whatever its called) website, under custom creations, so you carpenters can get a better idea of what your talkin about, lol, its a teaser but shows how great this tank truly is!

And i cant wait until we go see it Travis, you are bringing me right? (fingers crossed)
Old 10/18/2005, 07:39 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

Tavis and Jiddy i'm not bringing either of you :P LOL j/k

i'll have to check that out on midwest customes website

all i know is that his other tanks were super impressive and they were in the 110 and 180 range i think. the best i have seen so far.

later
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 10/18/2005, 07:46 AM
Losing again! NEXT YEAR!

Pulled this off of Midwest Custom Aquarium's webpage. I would "ASSUME" this is the same tank and it shows the dimensions pretty well so you can "EYEBALL" them.

I've read a couple other threads where people had just amazing tanks and they stopped posting because of things like were said here. So please make that the end of it so we can continue to see such a beautiful piece of work.
Old 10/18/2005, 08:11 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

that would be the same house and that would be the tank. heck the house is a work of art...very very cool

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 10/18/2005, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

What the hell do you do that allows you to afford somthing like this? Do you hawk your wedding ring and give up all your kids college money or what?! That thing is awesome!
Old 10/18/2005, 09:08 AM
no time for spell check!

thanks for posting that picture got2lb i didnt know there website had that on it. i think you get a better idea of the size seeing all the poeple it took to build it and no rock work around it. as for affording this tank and house im sure he works 10hrs a day to afford a beautiful house and aquarium like that. but he did alot of the work himself so he saved a ton of money.
Old 10/18/2005, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

Dang, seeing that tank with all those people around really puts it into perspective. That thing is HUGE. I wonder how much it weighs in at dry....
Old 10/18/2005, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Can I just nitpick at one more thing? For all the people that love water here, it's just bothering me.

Drool is spelled d-r-o-o-l, not drule.
Old 10/18/2005, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

It is without a doubt 15 by 5. I'm handy with eyeballing myself. From the second pic posted that is easy to see. Why do jealous people always want to pick **** appart?
Old 10/18/2005, 10:14 AM
no time for spell check!

here is a link to the website with the picture of the tank being built on site.
http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.co...brication.html