Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/08/2005, 01:46 AM
TRC Leader

I'm starting to get really jealous of you Mermaid owners!

I gotta get me one!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08/08/2005, 06:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev

ive got a mermaid and im still getting jealous i cant let mine see this thread now
Old 08/08/2005, 09:03 AM
I yam what I yam

You guys are too much. The Mermaid got a big laugh out of it. She said sorry though as she is a one of a kind and not available for fragging.

MM, I noticed the otehr day that the Vilmangi is starting to eat a lot better. He's actually out in the open with teh other fish eating. Guess he's getting really hunger or is finally stopped being shy.

How many times a day did you feed them? Did you ever try some Nori or something like that on a clip? I've tried some frozen veggie stuff that I have and the pinktail has gone nuts over it. The others haven't bothered with it but I think that's because it floats and they seem more to eat in the water colum than on the surface.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 08/08/2005, 09:09 AM
Moved On

Chevy,

Have you tried Peas? My Tangs and Angels go nuts for them!!!
Old 08/08/2005, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zfunk007
Back to the fish... blown63chevy, in picture number 2 with the two BEAUTIFUL Naso's, what is that fish swimming under the rock below them? Looks like a slippery dick wrasse or some kind of parrot fish.
Hinalea is the most common rubbish fish out here. If you miss Hawaii though a tank full of papio’s, menpachi’s and hinalea’s will make you feel like you’re fishing. In terms of bottom fishing as opposed to shore line, taape is now the rubbish fish, although some love to eat um.
Old 08/08/2005, 10:23 AM
Kalkwasser and Cuervo!

And Ta'ape used to be big, now you're lucky if you find one over 5"!

Ray, I fed them once a day using pellets. Once in a while I gave them Nori.

And on that Mermaid thing: I thought Mermaids could swim on their own??? The Mermaids I've seen here all have "floaties?"

MM
Old 08/08/2005, 10:31 AM
I yam what I yam

I thought "floaties" were made of scilicone? No sicilone floaties here, may a little "push up" but that's it.

I've been feeding them a little bit several times a day and they always seem to eat everything. I'm going to try some Nori when I get a chance to get down to the Asian market. May have to try the "chiecheros" but I hate those things. Man the wifes going to laugh at me if she see's me feeding those to the fish.

I put my first coral in the tank last week and the fish don't even seem to notice. I've got a large toadstool leather that was getting to big for my 45G hex so I moved him in. I saw the sailfin eyeing it yesterday but he didn't take any nips that I saw.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 08/08/2005, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MargaritaMan
And Ta'ape used to be big, now you're lucky if you find one over 5"!
You’re right Jeff, the taape’s are indeed small now. Sounds like you’re from here… I think I heard your wife was from here??? I was born and raised here, wife also.

Quote:
And on that Mermaid thing: I thought Mermaids could swim on their own??? The Mermaids I've seen here all have "floaties?"
lmao You’re another comedian. I tried to be civil and refrain from any more comments about the mermaid, but oh well. It’s pretty damn funny.

Curious that marc didn’t mention the last photo following the others. He must have had a lapse.

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy

Old 08/08/2005, 04:00 PM
Kalkwasser and Cuervo!

Southern California born and raised...100% haole with the ability to speak pretty darn good pigeon (at least enough to keep me from getting my aXX kicked in Waianae!). Married into Ohana. Aunties and Uncles all over the islands. Mom and Dad, and where the wife was raised, are in Makakilo. Grandma(s) are in Kailua.

A Hui Hou, MM
Old 08/09/2005, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
(at least enough to keep me from getting my aXX kicked in Waianae!)
LMAO Anyone who knows that is local, haole or not. It’s like the local secret and tourists have no idea how we really feel. Hopefully the new generation can correct our long standing attitude. I’m sure some don’t share it, but we all know the kanaka’s do. Unless you’re a haole girl that is, the locals go crazy for um. Or a hapa boy then the girls do (or mahus like marc j/k ).

If you can’t handle poki, don’t worry about it. Although I can live off of that stuff, my wife can’t handle it. We always tell her “eh, what kine local you.� lmao She can handle tako poki but not aku or ahi. Maybe one cube and she’s had enough. Too funny.

You heard of Twize right (the guy with the 770 on RC)? His wife is also from here, so I tried to teach him some local words that he could say during dinner. I never did ask him how it went, but I told him to say, mmmm ono, or I’ll finish bumbye. lol

The funny thing about pidgin is you can say anything you want on the forums and it’s only funny to us locals. I use to do this with a couple of guys a long time ago. For example, Marc get stink okole. LMAO He betta go bocha it. And he has no idea what I just said. You should try it some time. If some guy irks you on the forum say something wise in pidgin. It’ll crack you up.

BTW, how I know Ray is from the forums, we’re kinda close. And as for Marc, I think it’s hilarious to tease the guy. I don’t know why, but it cracks me up. He also makes me laugh.

Anyway, nice to get to know you. I always did admire your tanks. K'den take care.
Old 08/09/2005, 12:29 PM
Slave to Lower Life Forms

Ray, I have a smaller toadstool than yours in my 180 and the sailfin never even looks at it. There's even 3 babies growing off it that would make a nice appetizer. No problem IME, unless he's a known nipper.
Old 08/09/2005, 01:23 PM
I yam what I yam

Hey Jeremy, glad you could join us here.

Yea, I think he was just eye the new rocks in his tank, not really looking at eating anything. Unless he was going for the bit of hair algae that might have still been on the rock. Everything is looking good. The wife has spent a few days in the garage looking at it and now is riding my butt to get the room finished so we can move it in the room.

For someone who complains sometimes about my hobbies and the money I spend on them, she sure has taken a big turn around after seeing the tank up and running with the fish in it.

I'm almost tempted to just leave it in teh garage. Since it's been in there, I get people stopping by all the time to look. I wonder if I should start charging an admision to recoup my money. I feel like the local aquarium zoo for the neighbor hood.

Old 08/09/2005, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy
I feel like the local aquarium zoo for the neighbor hood.
You're lucky I'm not there, I'd be hanging out in your garage all the time. So much so I think the mermaid would tell me to go home. I would tell her only if she stands in the tank in a bikini I'll go home.
Old 08/09/2005, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

Blown63Chevy,
Just caught the thread. Congrats on the new tank and and and ... I'm trying to keep the thread on topic so I won't mention the mermaid.
Old 08/10/2005, 09:02 AM
I yam what I yam

Thanks.

Old 08/10/2005, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

I must say those are some nice mermaids!

Hey h20lovesme, I was down in your area last week. I should have pm'd you!

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 08/10/2005, 02:00 PM
I yam what I yam

Quote:
Originally posted by melev

Hey Marc, you better be careful of what you wish for.

Mermaids are very delicate animals and can be very hard, as well as expensive, to take care of and keep in the right enviroment.
Also they can be very finniky eaters. Mine seems to enjoy crab and lobster and that's not a cheap meal.

Old 08/10/2005, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

nice tank blownchevy. That is some funny stuff with those pics. That is quite a tall tank. But should be fine. Have you put MHs on it yet?
Old 08/10/2005, 02:12 PM
I yam what I yam

Not yet. It's currently sitting in my garage, up and running, waiting for me to finish off the new sun room that it's going in. I'm looking at running 4 X 400 W MH when I go full reef. It currently has 8 X 55W PC which I will change over to all atinic when I put on the MH.

For those who may be interested, here is a thread I did on how to make the rotating sprinkler heads work that I used on my return lines.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=646412

Old 08/10/2005, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

My mermaid doesn't like a 'tank' smaller than 2000 sq. ft.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 08/10/2005, 02:40 PM
I yam what I yam

Yea I hear that. This is just her "jacussi" pool.

Old 08/10/2005, 10:38 PM
The Original Happy Banana

Most mermaids also require perfect husbandry.

If you don't give her the attention she needs, she'll let you know it...in many ways...eventually, we'll get the picture.
Old 08/11/2005, 03:32 PM
I yam what I yam

Well to get this thread back on topic here,

The mermaid and I went out the otehr night and picke dup some Nori from teh local Asian market, 1.49 for a bad with about 20 big sheets in it. When we got home, I put one sheet on a clip and put it in the tank, before I could even get the clip attached to the tank, the pink tail trigger was tearing it up eating like crazy.

I also say teh male Naso go after it pretty good after I had it attached. The femal Naso came up and ate some of it but teh rest of the fish didn't seem interested. Oh well, just trying to add to their diversity.

On anothe note, Jeff, do you know what the model number is of the UV's or have any info on them? There is no data plate on them and I went to the all seas marine website but could not find one that looked like these. Any help you can throw my way Bro?
Thanks.

Old 08/11/2005, 05:40 PM
Kalkwasser and Cuervo!

No website for the sterilizers, or any of their products. Here is some info: ALL SEAS MARINE ULTRAVIOLET STERILIZER

ITEM # ..............DESCRIPTION.......... MAX FLOW ................POND SIZE PRICE
3619 ..40 W (All Seas Marine UV) 2900GPH 2900 Gal. $ 299.00
3620 ..80 W (All Seas Marine UV) 3678 GPH ..4000 Gal. $ 499.00
3621 160 W (All Seas Marine UV) 5400 GPH ..8500 Gal. $ 999.00
Not cheap!

If you need bulbs, here is where I just ordered a couple for my reef. they're pretty cheap. you will only have a couple months left on those so I would order some soon. http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=3981

Hope that helps, Jeff
Old 08/11/2005, 05:44 PM
Kalkwasser and Cuervo!

Oh, and considering the size of those fish, a clip for the nori is pretty useless. I just let my kid throw it in and watch them battle it out! Glad to see you're having so much fun with it. Jeff

PS The reef is back up and cycled with some stuff in it. Nice having only one tank, forces me to stay focused on the reef.