Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/28/2005, 12:23 PM
MTRC Treas

Well after some looking and having the 20ks and I think one 14k I am going to try the 10k because I will 4 vho itenics for the blue.
I am not happy with not having some stuff lower because of light not getting down the 30"
Old 07/28/2005, 02:45 PM
I yam what I yam

Some new pic's of the tank and the holding tank with teh fish.

Me cleaning the tank w/ a power washer. Works great.
[

Skimmer 30 G sump.

6' tall skimmer w/ 3 sedra 9000 pumps.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 07/28/2005, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

that skimmer couldn't even handle a 29 gallon tank.

Hell, the capacity is probably 29 gallons!

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 07/28/2005, 02:59 PM
I yam what I yam

The fish

Mated pair of NAso's

One eyed foxface.

Sailfin that got burnt years ago.

12" Vilgamanti (sp).

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 07/28/2005, 04:52 PM
Kalkwasser and Cuervo!

OK. I officially miss those guys! Look like they're doing well. The top of that skimmer will twist of so you can clean the inside. Look at the notches BEFORE you remove it to find out which direction. I believe it will twist counter-clockwise to remove. Vlamingi Jeff
Old 07/28/2005, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

What do you mean your sailfin got "burnt" is this a different word for Lateral-line and head Degeneration? Never heard it called this!

I have seen you on the Moorish Idol thread.. yeah your going to have to get rid of a few fishes... that or just set up another tank ..(what I would do!) lol!

good luck!
Old 07/29/2005, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

I love those nasos!

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 07/29/2005, 02:04 PM
Kalkwasser and Cuervo!

Shawn, This Sailfin was actually burnt by his own urine inside a shipping bag. This is caused by the shippers in the Philippines not placing enough water in the bag becuase less water means less cost. In fact when this fish arrived at the wholesalers it was the size of a silver dollar, blistered, and one step this side of death. Yes it is lateral line and head de-generation caused by the severe mutilation of the nerves and sensory receptors. It is scarred and will never heal.

It was a similar story for the one eyed Foxface.

Just call me a "bleeding heart!"

MM
Old 07/30/2005, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

I like your style MargaritaMan. I was also always a sucker for sick or hurt fish .
Old 08/01/2005, 09:14 AM
I yam what I yam

Thanks MM for clariying that for me. All of the fish are doing great and Rudy now knows that I'm the one who feeds him and comes directly up t the glass when I stand next to the tank. I can even rub my hand along the tank and he will just sit there like he wants me to rub him. I have not seen the Vlamingi eat yet as he seems a bit shy but he's not loosing any weight so he's eating something.

Well It was a busy weekend, a long sand storm and some serious plumbing duties but the tank is now holding water and the plumbing is holding bar a few minor drips. I'll post pic's when I get the chance. I'm sure it's going to cycle some as the sand sat in a trashcan for a week and the rock was left dry. I made 2 trips up to UCSB on Friday night and collected about 600 G of NSW. Hopefully by weeks end, the fish will be back in their home with more room to swim.

Old 08/01/2005, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

SWWEEEETTT TANK!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08/01/2005, 09:40 AM
Kalkwasser and Cuervo!

Ya, that Vlamingi is the shy one of the bunch. Just find out where he sleeps and make sure there is some pellets in the vicinity and you'll be cool. Lookin' forward to the pics!

Jeff
Old 08/01/2005, 10:06 AM
I yam what I yam

Hey Jeff,
While I got you here a quick ? for you. Is there a max flow rate for the UV steralizers? I was thinking of uping the return pumps to something like a pair of Iwakia 100's or something similar.

I've got the pool pump plumbed into the 4 jets in the overflow box and they work great. I plumbed the 2 return pumps into 2 spray bars w/ 4 3/4 openings and there is some but not a lot of flow out of them. I wanted to add in rotating sprinkler heads on them, but need more flow to run them. That's why the ? about increasing the flow to say around 1000 GPH per pump.

Old 08/01/2005, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Sweeet tank man. Can I see a pic of your wife standing next to the skimmer? j/k buddy, long time no see.
Old 08/01/2005, 10:16 AM
I yam what I yam

HEY STRANGER, who let you in my thread? . Pic's of the mermaid will be posted later.

Where you been hiding? Hope everything is going OK. Any new items on the "Tank"?

Old 08/01/2005, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy
HEY STRANGER, who let you in my thread? . Pic's of the mermaid will be posted later.

Where you been hiding? Hope everything is going OK. Any new items on the "Tank"?
Hey buddy, lol, I’ve been incapacitated for awhile. Just kidding, everything is okay and I’m just starting to take interest in finishing “the tank� I got a little side tracked because a buddy got me hooked on rc nitro trucks. It was about four grand worth of fun. Anyway, congrats on the monster tank, I’m happy for you man. You deserve it.
Old 08/01/2005, 11:08 AM
I yam what I yam

Gotta watch those RC trucks. Got hooked into them years ago, 2 G's later and I only had 2 cars. Got about 200 bucks when I sold it all but boy was it fun. I didn't go Nitro but stuck with Electric. Still a lot of fun.

You'll have to dig up your old thread and get it updated for us. If you've got the link to my webshots page still, go lok on there for my "other" new toy I got in Nov.

Old 08/01/2005, 02:32 PM
Kalkwasser and Cuervo!

100s will be too much flow. Try this: Run one 100 on its own without any sterilizer and then run one 30 (or 40, I can't remember) through the sterilizers while running both sterilizers in line. That way you'll definitely get rid of the bad guys and still get most of your flow with a 100. And you'll save a bunch of $$$ not having to buy two! MM
Old 08/01/2005, 02:45 PM
I yam what I yam

OK thanks. Didn't think of running it like that. The current pumps are 30's.

I may just swap things around and run both spray bars on another pump from the sump and put say a 30 and sterilizer between the skimmer sump and main sump. Or put a closed loop on the main sump with a 30 and UV.

I'll play around and see what I come up with. I already have a MAG36 and another pool pump at the house not being used so maybe I can use those.

How's the reef doing? Hope all is holding up.

Old 08/02/2005, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blown63chevy
Gotta watch those RC trucks. Got hooked into them years ago, 2 G's later and I only had 2 cars. Got about 200 bucks when I sold it all but boy was it fun. I didn't go Nitro but stuck with Electric. Still a lot of fun.

You'll have to dig up your old thread and get it updated for us. If you've got the link to my webshots page still, go lok on there for my "other" new toy I got in Nov.
Yep, those little suckers can get expensive with all the alloy hop ups. Was a little embarrassed at first cause I thought those things were toys till I saw one up close. Pretty cool stuff, although maybe the money could have been better well spent??? I bought one for my daughter as well (I don’t have a son). Both are “Savage� trucks.

Anyway man, how’s the family? Everything going good? I like that tank you got there! I hope MM gave you a good deal, I’m sure he did. He has some awesome looking tanks, worthy of being published from what I’ve seen in pictures.

About the old thread, I don’t think I’ll be updating it, but as I make progress I’ll try to get the pictures up so folks can take a look. I also was still around when you got the Harley. It looks like something I would want. Can I have it? lmao Just kidding man. Take care and talk to you soon.
Old 08/02/2005, 09:16 AM
I yam what I yam

Yea, you've been gone so long I couldn't remember if you saw the harley or not. Got to get some updated pic's as I've added some billet goodies to it.

Everyone is doing great. I finally got the 12 X 30 sunroom added on and now just got to finish off the inside. That's where the 400 will wind up. It's going to get one end of the room all to it's self. Wife even said so. AND she said she wanted some viewing chairs in front of the tank w/ my retirment coffee table. It will be it's own viewing area seperate from the rest of the room. Can't beat that and it was all her idea.

MM gave me a hell of a deal and is a great guy to deal with. If you havent seen it, ask him for some pic's of his prostreet Nova. I think you'd like it.

Good luck with the RC trucks and the family. Take care and see you around.

Old 08/04/2005, 11:17 AM
I yam what I yam

OK everyone, here are some more pic's of the tank and equipment.

The obligatory Mermaid pic's. She's 5' tall.

Closed loop system.
1 of 2 1 1/2" drains.

Hayward pool filter w/ flotec pump. 50 gpm.

4 - 1" returns.

Old 08/04/2005, 11:28 AM
I yam what I yam

The Monster skimmer. 6' tall

two ozone generators for the skimmer. I may not continue to use them. Still researching. Skimmer uses 3 sedra 9000 pumps w/ needle wheels and venturi injectors. 2 have ozone, one is just air.

Return pump. Iwaki WD-30RLXT. They flow into 2 UV sterlizers. Don't know what brand or anything as there is no label on them but they are 30" long and have 1" in and outs.

Controllers. Left to right.
Aqualogic Digital temp controller. Controlls both heat and cool. Milwaukee SM122 PH meter. And a SM 510 OPR meter that controls the Ozone generators.

Full tank shot.

Left side of tank. You can see one of teh return spray bars on the top.

Old 08/04/2005, 01:18 PM
Kalkwasser and Cuervo!

Hi Ray,
I can't believe you got your wife to pose in the tank! Too funny!
the plumbing looks great.
I do have a couple of things though that you need to be aware of:
1) The U.V. Sterilizers are from All Seas Marine. The way you have the two of them mounted though might cause some problems as when the one is laying on it's side it will have a huge air pocket in it. You could tap the side and put in some type of air bleed??? or you should turn it upright. 2) Both of those ozonizers will be too much for the reef. Just use the silver U.V. one as it is the smaller of the two at 320mg/hr. The white one is 500 mg/hr and would work great if you have a spa to use it on. Make sure to hook the one up to the Milwaukee Controller as to make sure you don't overdose it. I would definitely use it though.

Keep posting pics and I'll keep my eyes peeled for things that jump out at me.

Jeff a.k.a. MM
Old 08/04/2005, 01:44 PM
Kalkwasser and Cuervo!

To clarify: With the sterilizer on its side with an air bubble it might possibly overheat the quartz sleeve and/or without water surrounding the sleeve it will get a trememndous amount of calcification on it reducing its effectiveness.