Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/08/2004, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

well said!!!
Old 05/08/2004, 05:48 PM
How YOU doin?

I'm suprised that what I posted would be objected to; after all, it was in respect to his livelyhood. Kyle may have no problem telling us everything. His call. Maby there are no secrets-clean the pool, add some quipment, and let 'er rip. Or, maby he found a source of LR and sand, and won't check this thread again. We'll know soon enough, I guess.

But, since there have been three posts in disagreement, I'll explain myself:

In general, I agree too, Anthony; but we're talking about equipment, not animal husbandry. I do not expect companies like Danner to publish R&D or manufacturing information that explains why their pumps are more reliable than Rios. I do not expect the test kit companies to tell us the ingredients of their test kits-even if other people will. I'm not dissapointed in IceCap for not publishing their electrical schematics. Kyle's product is custom aquariums (a pool conversion in this case) rather than pumps or test kits or ballasts, but it's still equipment, and his knowledge is part of his livelyhood.

If Kyle chooses to not post some details on the www I wouldn't hold it against him. I think that people who make a living (wholy or in part) based on distribution of their knowledge have a right to distribute it as they see fit, particularly if that distribution can impact their income. Some people have copywrite protection, trademarks, and patents. Others have trade secrets. Both may share the final product with the world, and even discuss it freely if they choose, but if someone feels that telling the world may cause him to loose customers (such as when someone reads a thread on the internet and then starts offering low-ball prices for the same kind of work) then not posting something on the www may be prudent.

Kyle may have learned everything he knows from the internet, and maby he just can't wait to share. Or, maby he spent years of hard work and dedication learning what he knows. Maby there is no significant local competition for what he does, or maby there is.

And, look at it this way: how will your lifestyle be impacted if the information is or is not posted, and compare that to how Kyle's lifestyle may be affected. Again, he may have no problem posting everything, and maby there's really not much to say. But I think we should respect his right to do what HE thinks is best, and I don't see why anyone has a problem with that.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 05/08/2004, 08:31 PM
Parapterois heterura

I don't think anyone has a problem with it at all Mike. Just a constructive thread where folks are politely posting their opinions.

No one has to agree with my/our philosophies in business/life. I favor giving in the same spirit I take, and encourage others to do so. If it bothers you, mate... ignore it. At the risk of being immodest, there are far worse positions I could take/have taken.

If you don't fault me for wanting people to be generous and supportive of each other, I promise I won't regard you as being defensive.

Anthony
Old 05/08/2004, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

well in all do respect converting a swimming pool to a snorkling pool with live stock is not as easy as it sounds. I am a certified pool engineer adn operartor and work for a swim school. Materials that are used for pools can easily kill live stock very quickly.
So i really don't know how you are planning on doing this, unless it is a fresh pool being built that had not been filled and stock with chemicals for people to swim in.
Old 05/08/2004, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

well i hope we get some replies !!
Old 05/08/2004, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

I dont want to get in the middle of it but IMO both of you make good points I would love to hear about the equipment he uses but on the other hand I wouldnt even think about asking for details till he has the contract.. I have been in that situation before with my company and when a opposing contractor finds out what you are going to be using it give him an advanage bid wise ..But after it is his contract I hope he will shed a little light for us.. Good luck I will be following..
Old 05/08/2004, 11:14 PM
Blue

Come on guy's, if this is really happening the guy's got his info and he's outie. Not gonna post, we're not gonna see pics, it's done. Some rich guy is gonna have a good time for about a month and then his "Pool Reef" is gonna take a dive and he'll switch it over to the clorine special. Fish, coral, rock, sand all on the dump truck out while the new deck chairs and pool volleyball set up is on the way in. We got sucka'd.
Old 05/09/2004, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

I have no problem sharing my secrets. I learned both from exsperence and the internet. I got into this buisness because I knew what I was doing (part of the time) and I was more than willing to share. The more right information that I give our customers the more intrested they become in their own aquariums. I just don't what to tell too much till time for the project to start... One of our competitors (good friend) has seen and posted to a related thread.

We meet with our customer on Monday and have a starting figure for him, then it's up to him to decide what to do next.

We found several companies to sponser us with equiptment and livestock in exchange for advertisment and testing of new products. The pool is going to have a new liner put in next week. The pool can not be driller for more jet so we are going to use a combination of sub-pumps, closed loop self-primming pumps and surge systems for flow.

We found prices for live rock in the $1.70 per/lbs and sand for $0.35 per/lbs.

Sand and rubble rock are going to be mixxed for sub.

Cleaning will be done on a weekly basis.

For now the plan is to hang pendants from a "stylish" framework that can be raised and lowered much like a garage door

I was asked in one forum to post links to the other threads on this topic so here they are.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...96#post2874396
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...03#post2874403

I will keep you up to date.

Kyle
Old 05/09/2004, 01:17 AM
I'm Not Creative

So awesome, i can't even imagine! Keep us posted.

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
Old 05/09/2004, 05:16 AM
Registered Member

Thanks a bunch Kyle !!
Old 05/09/2004, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Why not just have a glass dome to allow natural light to come into the reef as this will be more beneficial to the corals and the fish.
Old 05/10/2004, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

Okay I think I have already commented on this thread, but here it goes. This guy wants to put together a 7000 gal. (POOL). What I gather from this site (Reef Central) is promoting good knowledge and trade in good faith. I don’t understand why ? To build something so big and like Newschool said ,check his quote…hheheheh I think this guy could fill half of this pool with concrete block for support. And fill the rest in with live rock. I thought at first that 4000# of live rock was really unethical for someone in the marine trade to do .Is this what we are all about. I mean it’s a good paycheck. Really folks, check what Anthony Calfo said to me in this thread . Go back to page one and read it again. He basically told me and all of us that it is okay to rip the reef of rock but that thing like anemones are more important. Hello….. If there is less reef to attach to then….Can I be the only one that thinks this way? I think this tread should stop…
Old 05/10/2004, 08:06 AM
How YOU doin?

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmy 1313
I think this guy could fill half of this pool with concrete block for support.
Does anyone here know what's in concrete blocks? Concrete can be OK since that's what a lot of us have used to make DIY base rock, but we knok what we are making it out of: portland cement and oyster shells or crushed coral, or southdown/aragonite, and maby some macaroni. Without knowing what cement blocks are made of, and their potential to leach heavy metals or silica, I'm not sure they would be ok.

But I do agree that something could be used; he could epoxy-coat some old car batteries and use them, and it would match at least one "reef".

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 05/10/2004, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

I hope if the tank fails the rock is offered to some reef club !
Old 05/10/2004, 12:58 PM
How YOU doin?

If anyone cares here is a page with a link for a MSDS for concrete blocks.

Apparently they contain a lot of pumice, so here is a MSDS for pumice.

Old 05/10/2004, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

nice link shoestring !!
Old 05/10/2004, 06:34 PM
Moved On

I hate to be a skeptic but this sounds a little far fetched.
Old 05/10/2004, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

I wish him the best of luck. I hope ity works out and the pool is a success. There are plenty of people out there with some really deep pockets. If someone wants to convet a pool to a reef, then all the power to them.
Old 05/11/2004, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

why would you want that much LR and that much live sand? Seems a little crazy to me.... I would get Dead rock for the base of all the structures and then just enough live rock to cover it over... same with the live sand... You are not going to need that much LR and sand for bio filtration so why waste the money?
Old 05/11/2004, 05:20 PM
Moved On

I can tell you this I doubt he can grow a reef at that latitude.
Old 05/12/2004, 05:36 AM
How YOU doin?

Well, he's going to install supplimental lighting, so as long as he maintains temp and all the usual reef parameters, I can't think why it couldn't work.

Old 05/13/2004, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Calfo
(collection of seahorses... sigh).

kind regards to all,

Anthony
Well considering sh's are now being cb it is becoming less of a strain on the ocean. not saying people arent still buying wild caught but those are becoming more and more captive raised that people are buying.

I am beginning to wonder if this guy got the bid or is pulling our chains. as he said he had to meet with the guy on tues and we have not heard anything about this since then.
Old 05/13/2004, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Actually All seahorses are supposed to be banned from collection world wide, so i read in a magazine which i can't remember which one. The wild sea horse population got hit hard this past summer as there were hardly any around when there are usually hundreds you would see one or two if you were lucky.
Old 05/13/2004, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

that I did not know =[
Old 05/13/2004, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

One other thing that i remember reading was that a majority of them would be placed on the endangered species list, but they did not list which ones.