Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/10/2003, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

After reading some of the insane arguments for why the seller is entitled to keep the insurance settlement that the buyer paid for, I've come to a conclusion. There is no way I'd buy anything from the board and have it shipped to me.
Old 09/10/2003, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Dougroberson

The majority of the people on the board are great to deal with. I've bought and sold items from many people over the past year or so and this was my first incident.
Old 09/10/2003, 11:37 AM
I pretend to know stuff

There will always be risks when you buy or sell things to people we dont know. ebay is a pefect example think of how many people get scammed on there.

PH 8.2
DKH 10
CAL 480
SG 1.025
Old 09/10/2003, 11:50 AM
Dad, mom and nest of eggs

Quote:
Originally posted by wedfr
Also what you guys are talking about is really insurance fraud, If fedex knew how much it cost azonic to buy that sump and it was used he wouldnt have gotten a full 200. Just because you ship a 100 dollar sump and insure it for 2 million bucks doesnt mean youll get 2 million.
First of all wedfr, please take the time to proof read your posts, they are so difficult to read.

Sure I could insure a $100 sump for $2 Million, that is up to the people that are issuing the insurance policy whether they want to issue that sort of policy or not. Of course I would expect the premium for such a policy would be well in excess of $10,000.

Insurance is gambling, plain and simple. You are betting that something will happen (something broke during shipping, getting into a car wreck, etc.) and the insurance company is betting that it will not happen. So when it doesn't happen (the majority of the time) you pay up to the insurance company, and when it does happen they pay up to you. It has little to do with the actual value of the object involved.
Old 09/10/2003, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

The bottom line here is wedfr knows absolutly nothing about what he is talking about. Its funny how a young "student" thinks that his twisted logic somehow makes him right when it is clear that every other person to post on this subject sees otherwise. as stated before if he insured a 200 dollar sump for 2 million dollars then YES he would get 2 million dollars (providing the insurance accepted that and you paid the premium, which would be very high by the way) i loved the whole putting a quarter in the slot machine for a friend analogy, sorry but again it takes some pretty twisted logic to think like that, and in the real world that doenst work. Cant you see by the number of people that tell you you are wrong that you are? guess some people have a hard time admiting there wrong even when it is proved to them.
Old 09/10/2003, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

I have two small claims court judges in my family and I had them read this entire thread. They both said it is a no brainer. The buyer of the sump who also paid for the insurance is entitled to the full claim.

Dave
Old 09/10/2003, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

Also what you guys are talking about is really insurance fraud, If fedex knew how much it cost azonic to buy that sump and it was used he wouldnt have gotten a full 200. Just because you ship a 100 dollar sump and insure it for 2 million bucks doesnt mean youll get 2 million.
Right, so it's okay that psuedo gets the $200 though right? That's not insureance fraud right?

Quote:
Originally posted by wedfr I think you shoudl go for a buisness course, NOTHIGN IN LIFE IS FREE and defiantly dont get paid plus get a product
Right, like getting an additional $200 for a sump you sold for $100.
Old 09/10/2003, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

There the guy even said he had 2 small claims court judges read this and agree.. what more does wedrf want? possibly we need to call Judge Judy or Judge Woppner!!!!! im done here its been settled.
Old 09/10/2003, 01:34 PM
Moved On

sorry guys fro the hard to read posts, i am a pretty bad typer.

Now ill state again AZONIC deserves to get paid, how much is whats up for debate. Pseudo agred to give it all to him so i guess that takes care of it but im just arguing as to how much AZONIC is really owed if he didnt say anything like that.

To correct you about the insurance policy, if you insure it for 2 million you will only be paid 2 million if it is specifccally stated in teh insurance contract that its only worth 200 but you are paying a much larger premium and woudl be guaranteed 2 million no matter what.

Now it seems to me that everyone is side stepping my question of answering how these INSURANCE payoffs woudl go if dealing with a mail order company, if they did or did not have a replacement.

Now this can go either of a few ways. Obviouly azonc can send the sump back to psuedo as offered and get a ful refund. He can keep the sump and get it fixed which he did.

considering this psuedo has been pid for his goods, and azonic has recied them and opted to keep them although putting money into it to bring it up to standards. There is also a $200 dollar check issued. If Azonic keeps his sump what entitles him to insurance money? its a wierd situation and i thikn the RIGHT thing to do is give azonic the money that it cost to fix it, and then take the rest and split it. I think!!

I have to admit i have a hard time swallowing my own decision on this but i also have a hard time swallowing Azonic collecting $200 + a sump. Now im a guy that kind of thinks the hell with doing things by the book, Psuedo is really screwin him here and azonic deserves to be paid all the money just for the hard time hes been put through.

Last thing is, we havent heard pseudos side of it yet form his own mouth. Just because someone doesnt respond doesnt mean hes guilty.

Actually this is the last thing. The fact that im a student should have nothing to do with this conversation, the fact that you guys keep bringing it up just attests to how ignorant most of you are. Age has nothing to do with knowledge, wisdom, maturity etc. and even if it did who says im young? i may be older then you and have gone back to school, i may have goen back to grad school doesnt matter though if im in the 5th grade at least im smart enough to not call peopel out on what their job is and bring that into the argument.

Again Azonic i hope you can recover your money one way or the other and all works out well.
Old 09/10/2003, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the idea wedfr

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to email the Fedex claim department and explain the whole situation to them. I am going to let them know the value paid for the item sold was only $100 + $30 for shipping. Based on wedfr's statements if they had known this, the cheque for $200 would not have been issued and it would only have been $130.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong. I hope you are right because if in fact you are, I hope Fedex will make contact with Pseudo Boy regarding the extra $70. If I can't get my money, I'm gonna try my hardest to make sure Pseudo Boy doesn't keep it.

Also wedfr, as an aside...Pseudo has told his side of the story....take a look on page 1....and maybe page 2(dont remember now)....he posted his story and everyone went against him...ever since then he has been a coward and he isn't man enough to own up to his obvious wrong doing.
Old 09/10/2003, 02:07 PM
Moved On

i didnt realize he did, i read the whoel thign a while back but i thoguth it was just you copy and pasting PM's of you guys talking.

I dont know what fedex can do for you after its been sent out, i hope they get it back form him though.
Old 09/10/2003, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Well once again wedfr you amaze me. Saying you were young had nothing to do with the fact that you said you were a student, it was more to do with your obvious lack of knowledge on how the world works involving insurance ect. you said it best here

"considering this psuedo has been pid for his goods, and azonic has recied them and opted to keep them although putting money into it to bring it up to standards. There is also a $200 dollar check issued. If Azonic keeps his sump what entitles him to insurance money? its a wierd situation and i thikn the RIGHT thing to do is give azonic the money that it cost to fix it, and then take the rest and split it. I think!!"

The key here is "I think" i agree this is what you do think, however what you think and what the law says are two completly differnet things. We have shown this with example after example which were obviously over your head as you havnet been able to draw the connections with them. We had the testimony of tons of people as well as that of 2 small claims judges. All of which have been very clear on what the law says. Now getting back to my point, we werent using your age as an insult but more of an illustration that only a "student" or child would be so arrogent as to not back down when it is obvious that he is wrong. Enough Said

Now azonic it doenst matter at all what the price paid for the sump was. he could have insured the sump for 500 dollars and thats what they would have paid for it. Insurance has nothing to do with how much someone paid for an item. If i am shipping a 300 dollar item they paid 25 dollars for i am still going to insure it for 300 dollars and if its damaged then they will pay me 300 dollars not 25. Fedex doenst care what the purchase price was, they compute the price paid for the insurance on how much you want to insure it for. so you will be wasting your time. I really wouldnt use wedfr as my basis for what is going to work as it has been shown time and time again that he really has no clue what he is talking about. best of luck all the same
Old 09/10/2003, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

jamesbburgess: I really didn't see the need for going into wedfr like that.....but thanks for the information about the insurance none the less.
Old 09/11/2003, 12:31 AM
dazed and confused

Quote:

To correct you about the insurance policy, if you insure it for 2 million you will only be paid 2 million if it is specifccally stated in teh insurance contract that its only worth 200 but you are paying a much larger premium and woudl be guaranteed 2 million no matter what.

I assume you're talking personal auto insurance. If that's the case, you wouldn't get paid $2 million. If the insurance totals out your car, they pay you the actual cash value of it, minus whatever salvage you choose to keep. You pay a premium for the value of the vehicle, not the limit. In fact, there is no limit persay for physical damage, only a deductible. The higher the deductible, the lower the premium. The higher the ACV of the vehicle, the higher the premium.

That said, I really don't think personal auto insurance is a good analogy for parcel insurance. When you insure the parcel or good being shipped, you insure it for a specified amount, be it $200 or $2,000. The premium you pay guarantees that you are paid that amount in the event of loss OR damage. Now that's the catch, which one is it? Or is it both? I'm too tired to look up the policy language, maybe I'll do it tomorrow at work. But if Azonic can go to Fedex and perhaps get a copy of the policy, he'll have his answer right there.

Quote:
Last thing is, we havent heard pseudos side of it yet form his own mouth. Just because someone doesnt respond doesnt mean hes guilty.

He's apparently taken the 5th Amendment . But then again, he's not on trial. Now think rationally, if you're a well-respected RC individual with lots to lose, why wouldn't you try to protect your rep? Obviously, the majority of the members here feel that he's wrong, so why not explain things further? On the other hand, I read that Pseudo no longer has a tank. Perhaps he feels that he doesn't need to have a rep any longer? Perhaps he just decided to take the money and run?

Azonic, if I were in your position, I'd try looking into small claims court. I'm not sure if it'd work for international issues, but I'd at least look into it. In many cases, if I get a plaintiff's ruling, I not only get the money but the defendant pays the legal fees.

Last edited by gramma royale; 09/11/2003 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09/11/2003, 09:14 AM
dazed and confused

Ha! Just realized that Azonic was from Canada. In that case, scratch small claims, I'm not keen at all on how the UK's last colony's legal system works.
Old 09/11/2003, 01:45 PM
Moderator Clone

As always, discussing the issues is just fine, discussing other posters' intelligence, heritage, parentage, or educational state is not.

So, keep your comments about the intelligence of the other posters to yourself (both wedfr and jamesbburgess this applies especially to you).

Thank you,
Kevin
Old 09/15/2003, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Is anyone else surprised that Pseudo Boy hasnt jumped back in this tread to at least try to save some face. I would rather send someone the money and save my name then hold on to a couple hundred bucks.

Azonic
The sad thing is this stuff happens. Hopefully he will make good with this and you will get your money. Sorry this happen to you.

Git-r-done...
Old 09/15/2003, 09:52 AM
dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally posted by lilbuddy
Is anyone else surprised that Pseudo Boy hasnt jumped back in this tread to at least try to save some face. I would rather send someone the money and save my name then hold on to a couple hundred bucks.
I think it was posted earlier in the thread that Pseudo Boy no longer has a tank. If that's the case, he doesn't need to save face anymore.
Old 09/15/2003, 10:24 AM
Reef Education 4 Schools

I'm sure is misundertanding and both parties have reasons to believe that they are right.
Once a man came to a judge and showed the judged one of his eyes that he has lost and ??? was the one who caused it and he wants the judge to give orders to send ??? to jail.
Wise Judge said "I want to hear from ??? and hear his reasons and ??? might not have both eyes at this moment".. I'm not saying that somebody is right or wrong here but I'm sure is a matter of communication.
Old 09/15/2003, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gramma royale
I think it was posted earlier in the thread that Pseudo Boy no longer has a tank. If that's the case, he doesn't need to save face anymore.
I guess thats true, but what about self respect? Ya dig what Im getting at here. I just couldnt screw someone over and live with myself. I wouldnt want someone to do it to me.

Git-r-done...
Old 09/15/2003, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

zooqi: You don't know whose right or wrong? I think it's obvious that you did not read the entire thread. Otherwise it would be painfully obvious who is in the right/wrong.

Matter of communication? This whole thread holds a detailed synopsis of every communication between myself and Pseudo Boy. I assure you, there was/is no problem with communication.

Next time, please read all the information before posting.
Old 09/15/2003, 10:49 AM
Reef Education 4 Schools

I did read the whole thing but you are telling me that after reading it I should've said that you are right or you making it sound like that.

In the end I take it that you are not going to do any more transactions with that person.

One thing I learned that FedEx is a way to go and they stand behind their insurance. And we always should have insurance on things we sell or buy.

Is time to grow corals to frag, spend less on beer and make up for the loss.
Old 09/15/2003, 12:39 PM
Queen Supreme multitasker

There is a saying I try and live by "What goes around, comes around". It seems to be true also. I do nice things for people and I rarely don't have help when I need it, rarely do I get screwed over and it is only when I am too trusting does it happen. Again, what goes around comes around.

Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
- Leo Rosten
Old 09/15/2003, 12:51 PM
Reef Education 4 Schools

llpoolej: You are right and I agree with you.
Old 09/16/2003, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

llpoolej: Are you saying that I had this coming? Or that Pseudo Boy will have it come back on him in the future?