Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/26/2007, 01:07 PM
Moved out

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefArtist
Oh, I do fusible glass art and sculpture clay art. The kiln will be used to make my glass doors. I haven't designed the art work yet but it will most likely be more of a contemporary design. The clay design I'm working on right now is of two birds flying, flowing into a branch to land. I still have a month or so before it's finished. It's all fun and now, with the addition of the larger kiln I don't have a size limit. That is very nice!
Man I can't wait to see it!!! I really like glass art.

So how much longer before we can see it all put together?

Chris
Old 09/28/2007, 03:20 AM
Underground Art Studio

Chris - you are way to funny "So how much longer before we can see it all put together? "

Yes, I finally got home, can't do much but I can document what I have planned and look at some problem areas.

What do you all think about my layout for my Ozone. I'm trying to be careful with the placement of the input for the ozone (degrade acrylic fast). After talking to my LFS this is what I'm thinking of going with:

Old 09/28/2007, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

About glass art, I am a artist myself and just had the oppurtunity to observe some of the glass studios in Sweden and Norway. Its always inspiring to see other artists work and I'm looking forward to spending more time with the medium, its hard to find studio space around here but I'm trying.

BTW that looks about right with the ozone.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 09/30/2007, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Carol,

Glad to here you are getting along well.

The only thing I see on the ozone is that you would be driving or limiting the skimmers air intake by the volume supplied by the air pump unless there is an other breather hole in the mixing chamber. Mine has an additional hole so that the skimmer can draw in fresh air along with the supplied O3.

My kids call me the fish geek <')))><

Click on the red house to see the 150 Redux build thread.
Old 10/01/2007, 12:35 PM
Underground Art Studio

Thanks Greg for the info. I might have to play around with it once I get it up and running. I'm wondering if I should drill another small hole in the top/side of the air mixing chamber. I could make it so I could plug it completely or put a valve on it. Also, what about the size of the air pump - I have fresh water fish also, so I have lots of air pumps. Just wondering and seeing if others have ideas - it might have to be something I play around with once it's up and running.
Old 10/02/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

Things are really coming together and looking good. I can't wait to see more progress!
Old 10/02/2007, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks Greg for the info. I might have to play around with it once I get it up and running. I'm wondering if I should drill another small hole in the top/side of the air mixing chamber. I could make it so I could plug it completely or put a valve on it. Also, what about the size of the air pump - I have fresh water fish also, so I have lots of air pumps. Just wondering and seeing if others have ideas - it might have to be something I play around with once it's up and running.
Carol, the size doesn't really matter it is just the vehicle for moving the O3 from the generator to the reactor. You could possibly not supply the generator with enough O2 with too small of a pump and a really large pump could dilute the O3 but any average pump will do fine

It will be very difficult to regulate the air supply to the skimmer with an air valve I would just drill about a 3/8 inch hole in the top of the mixing chamber and let it be.

Im loving the new O3 generator I got from John and am very happy not to be having to be drying the desiccant out every week.

The AC3 controller really rocks! I am so happy with that purchase, it makes using O3 a breeze.

My kids call me the fish geek <')))><

Click on the red house to see the 150 Redux build thread.
Old 10/03/2007, 05:36 AM
Underground Art Studio

Greg - you got that right about the ACIII - I love it! I've been messing around with it on my 65G (Little over kill - but now it's safe to go away from home ). Thank you for including all of us in the buy.

I really like the O3 generator also and yeah without the dryer - not a lot to mess with.

Does anyone know (Locals) if John carries the O3 calibration fluid? I forgot to get it when I picked up the ACIII. I checked my pH probe and it was off -.8!!!! I almost had a heart attach at first - I just dropped it in the water to get a reading - 8.9!!!! I made a dash to my calibration fluid and dropped it in - 10.9 - that was a relief!!! So, just to warn everyone - calibrate the probes.

How does everyone calibrate their temp probes? I was going to just put like 4 other probes in and take a avg - not sure if that's the best way, but it is the cheapest for me.
Old 10/07/2007, 07:07 PM
Underground Art Studio

Well we were able to get a lot accomplished this weekend - got kind of a OK with the doc - . Hey - as long as I can't tear something he fixed - then I have the green light . So, for therapy I helped paint the fishroom (cheaper and better then real PT). I had picked out a nice soft yellow - well that soft yellow turned into a green tint yellow and VERY bright. So for some extra therapy I used the rag on painting technic and then with a kinney twist wiped down what I had ragged on. We used white to soften the yellow and it ended up working out nicely. Also, we got the floor laid (A friend did this for me - thank you), while I installed the fishroom door! Finally the door has been installed! So here are a few photos to update everyone on the progress.

tomorrow I'd like to start the trim work, fix the door a little, put all the covers over the receptacles and then open up the wall to the living room.

The big issue for me at this time is getting the sand. I'm thinking about 700 lbs for everything so I have some calls into people and next week I hope to have a connection.
Old 10/07/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

You're welcome
Old 10/07/2007, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

Lookin good Carol
Old 10/07/2007, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

Lookin good Carol
Old 10/08/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Sweet.. glad to see your back at it.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 10/08/2007, 04:08 PM
Underground Art Studio

Stephen - Thanks - I'll be checking out the sand this week and don't worry I'm make sure you get at least 100#. Not sure what's going on with the Mogul purchase, I think we need three more to get the deal made.

Eric thanks, after today I'll have to rest it for a few days but I just had to get some things finished. I hope your build is coming along, of course it's hard to do much when you're out of town as much as you are!

Here are more photo's after todays work. I was able to get the molding completed around the door frame and room. I now have the receptacles covered and I took all the boards, insulation etc down from between the fish room and the living room.

This is the view as you walk into the fish room. At the far wall I'll have my pumps on the floor, then above that will be a 75g Refugium and above that a 40g Breeder for Grasses.

This is from the right looking back to the door

This is a look at the floor, the receptacles on the bottom are for the pumps - I have switches located by the door to flip them on and off - if needed.

This once again is look back to the door. The switches are for the pumps (2 top) and the bottom is for the Protein Skimmer. The area beside the table I'm going to put the QT and my Frag tank.

This is looking back to the door again, under the AC unit will most likely be the Protein Skimmer and beside that the sump (90g).

I still need to finish painting the door and get a little better seal all the way around it. Maybe some other little things to finish up but really I think I'm about ready to start the plumbing and building the stands.
Old 10/08/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

wow looking great. I have a faux finish in my bedroom and love it. Your fish room looks sweet. Everything looks great. SUrehave done a lot of work.

I am back and hope to get moving a little this weekend. Your progres is impressive considereing your situation. Becarefull not t get o out of controll. It looks like your healing up fine.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 10/09/2007, 02:59 AM
Underground Art Studio

You are to kind Eric - thank you so much. Yeah, the walls turned out OK but it took some work to get them "Calmed" down - LOL. It's so nice to get all the boards down from our living room and really see everything. I can finally take good measurements and see what needs to be done on the living room side.

That's good to hear that you're back and ready to start working on your tank. When I was working as an Engineer I really couldn't have imagined having a reef tank (FW only) - I had to travel and/or work all the time - not much free time at all. That was one of the reasons I retired early - I'm young enough to still enjoy life and have my play toys.

I can't wait to see the progress on your tank - bring us lots of photos .
Old 10/09/2007, 07:18 AM
Moved out

Holly crap that is NICE!!!!
Old 10/10/2007, 07:44 PM
yeah...right

Quote:
Originally posted by cwegescheide
Holly crap that is NICE!!!!
Yeah, Holly crap!! You do not rest even after an operation
Old 10/11/2007, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Wow...awesome thread ReefArtist. Your setup reminds me of mine when I was going through the process of putting in my in-wall.

Very impressive so far...

I got my kids 529 plan invested right outside my living room wall...red house shows all.
Old 10/11/2007, 02:21 PM
Underground Art Studio

Thank you all very much! Yes I did pay for the work over the weekend and on monday - but it looks sweet .

SVTour - I've been checking out your build - very nice! I noticed you stated you had some problems with you refugium glass - what thickness did you use? I'm just about ready to start the drilling process and adding the baffles, I was thinking 1/4" glass for the baffles. Would that be to thin?
Old 10/11/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the props...

My problem with the glass was not only the thickness, but the span. I would think you would be fine with 1/4"...I believe I would have. The 1/8" I used across the 90 gallon tank just causes the water to oscillate back and forth if the level goes down an inch. If it drops further than that, everything is fine…it’s just at 1”

I solved my problems by making an auto top off...but if I ever get around to redoing this, it will be 1/4" for sure.

BTW, if you're not quite sure of what I mean with the water oscillation, I could take a quick video of it for you. Just let me know...I'd hate to see you make the same mistake.

I got my kids 529 plan invested right outside my living room wall...red house shows all.
Old 10/12/2007, 05:48 PM
Underground Art Studio

SVTour - very good information, this is going to help me a lot. I could see the 1/8" going across the 90 possibly having problems. I will definitely go with at least 1/4 inch if not 3/8, I'll see what I find here locally.

How tall did you make your baffles if you don't mind me asking? I'm not sure at this point how high I'll have my water - I'll need to calculate this out, but I will have emergency overflow pipes just in case.

Thanks a lot for all the information and again - great web site.
Old 10/13/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
SVTour - very good information, this is going to help me a lot. I could see the 1/8" going across the 90 possibly having problems. I will definitely go with at least 1/4 inch if not 3/8, I'll see what I find here locally.

How tall did you make your baffles if you don't mind me asking? I'm not sure at this point how high I'll have my water - I'll need to calculate this out, but I will have emergency overflow pipes just in case.

Thanks a lot for all the information and again - great web site.
Thanks...

Each one is 16" high and I have about 1" under the center baffle. I'm sure you would be fine with 1/4...I don't think glass that thick bows much at 16 inches.

One other thing, since I didn't want my skimmer to sit that deep in the tank, I build a platform for it that is about 5 inches tall. I'm not sure if your skimmer sits in the sump...but it's something to think about if it does.

Last edited by SVTour; 10/13/2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10/13/2007, 07:18 PM
Underground Art Studio

No my skimmer is external and is the Reeflo, I can't wait to get it up and runnng. Thanks for all the information, I think next week I'll start looking for the glass. We have a few glass stores in the area so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10/18/2007, 06:12 AM
Underground Art Studio

My shoulder is getting a little better so I was able to get a little work finished on the build finally. Someone asked about my borders of the fish room. The baseboards are a composite material that will not rot and I caulked the top and bottom of the baseboards. So for the most part the room at least at ground level is completely sealed. I'm going to drill a hole through the wall later for drainage.

Here's some photos to show the updates that have been accomplished - we all love photos!

Chopped up some 2x4's for some of the tank stands. I must say the local hardware stores have some really bad wood. I think they store their wood outside as most is warped or cracked. I made due with what they had.

Some of the frames I put together using the Kreg system - I really do like this tool.

Just to let everyone know - you don't have to use their expensive screws !

We brought everything in for a test fit - yes lots of problems and redoing was involved. I'm still not convinced everything is going to fit properly. Yes, my buddy George had to get in on the act.

Here's one of the easy stands that was put together the old way - straight drilling into the wood. Still works!

Lets not forget the Infinity Tank that I had won - didn't have to do a thing the this stand !

This is the lighting system that will be placed over the infinity tank - it is very slick and I'm very happy with the purchase. All T5's and the tank will have mostly softies/LPS corals. Not sure about the fish as the tank is only about 14" tall and the water flows over - don't want any jumpers in this one!

Need some suggestions on the livestock for the Infinity - please!

Last edited by ReefArtist; 10/18/2007 at 06:18 AM.