Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 10:21 AM
Moved out

This just might be the first TOTM before it even gets anything in it!!

Old 12/27/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

carol you might want to get some thin black acrylic to make covers for the overflows.i know you arent going to spend all the time you have to see durso drains.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:46 PM
Underground Art Studio

Chris - you are way to kind and thanks for the thumbs up - I hope it stays that way .

Chris (checkinhawk) - I was going to purchase the covers with the tank, but then I thought why not cover them in clay. So, what I have planned is to make sheets of clay to cover the complete back. Also, I really don't want to look at the Tunze pumps so I'm going to make my own Tunze rocks that I'm hoping will flow with the rest of my rock work. It might not work out and I'll have to go with the acrylic covers - we'll see. Hey - besides you're not for hire - LOL.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

Wow Carol, that tank is really coming along. Nice to see you have light hehe.

Cant wait to see the rest of this tank go together and the live stock added.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:59 PM
Underground Art Studio

NewNanoDude - Thanks and the live stock is just about ready!

I finally got the remaining rock finished - took longer then normal to dry. It was still not safe for a full firing so I put all the rock in for a preheat first - This was for about 22 hours at 200 degrees - very long! Now it's actually being fired and will go up to about 2150 degrees. Here's some photos of the kiln being loaded:

These are a few of the larger pieces I'm planning. I most likely will have to add a few cured rock for some of my fish that like to graze. I can remove them later or change them out once the clay rock starts to cure.

Loading the kiln - first layer done.

The inside of the kiln is 41 inches long x 22 inches deep x 22 inches high - very large so we can really load it down. The down side is, you don't want to do small runs in the kiln unless you like paying large electric bills! All those small pieces are for frags - don't want to waste any space .
Old 12/30/2007, 12:08 AM
SPS Freak

Is there any downsides to using clay for your live rock? Looks like a neat idea.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:09 AM
Underground Art Studio

Our project of the day was to made screens for the tank. These are being added because I love my wrasse and they love to jump. I'm hoping these will keep these jumpers in the tank.

HD carries the plastic corners which made making these - simple.

The screen in place and ready to start blocking. I've lost a few fish from just having egg crate - I'm hoping this will stop them.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:16 AM
Underground Art Studio

jay24k - I haven't found any so far. They don't leach so unlike the concrete rocks - no curing, soaking etc is needed. you have much more control over how they'll look as you can make them to what you like. Most will say they don't filter out as much but all you need to do is soak a sponge in clay and fire it. the sponge will burn out leaving behind a very porous surface - same as rocks if not better. Not many have done this with such a large system, so it will be very interesting in the years to come.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:23 AM
Underground Art Studio

This is a very nice comparision between the AquaConnect 14K which is in the center reflector and the Ushio 10 which is on the right relfector. BIG difference and I must say I was very suprised with the results.

Left side - No bulb
Center - AquaConnect 14K (250W)
Right side - Ushio 10K (250W)
You can really see the Ushio yellow when running right beside the AquaConnect that is very white. I really don't see that much blue in the AquaConnect

Last edited by ReefArtist; 12/30/2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:41 AM
Moved out

Oh man that is a great compairison between the Aquaconnect and the Ushio. You can REALLY see the yellow in the Ushio thats for sure.

The screens look really nice too. I would think that eggcrate would probably melt under the halides anyways. The screens look much better. Great idea and they look like they came with the tank.

Hey just wanna let you know it looks like you got some nekkid people in your back yard!!
Old 12/30/2007, 12:43 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Carol...I sent you a PM Everything is looking fantastic! Wow!!
Old 12/30/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

so how many pieces of rock make up your main rockscape? is it going togo back together the way you have it layed out in your pic? how do you keep track of that?
Old 12/30/2007, 06:11 PM
Moved out

I guess you could make indentations in your 'liverock' for frag plugs too huh? I guess the only thing would be knowing where you wanted to put your corals ahead of time.
Old 12/30/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

wow Carol looking good. DO you think reflectors might help the t5's. I wanted to make something simple for mine.

Your sculptures are sweet. Any plans to add more texture to them?

Your infinity tank looks beautiful.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/30/2007, 07:22 PM
Underground Art Studio

Quote from Chris:
"Hey just wanna let you know it looks like you got some nekkid people in your back yard!! "
----------------------------------------------
Oh Chris - here's a correction just for you

Oh - did anyone notice in the above photo that my pattern for my rocks are from Me No Nemo's tank build thread . Not Chris, he's to busy looking at the nekkid people in the photo
Old 12/30/2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Now that's funny!
Old 12/30/2007, 07:33 PM
Underground Art Studio

Me No Nemo - We are on our way and I'll be getting back to you with that real soon.

chrismunn - Yes - if I really wanted to make sure I put it back together just like I had it, I'd mark them in a way I'd know. That's if I was doing them for someone else - I'm not and I like free flowing - (change as I go). When I put them together in the tank - I decided to change it - I know just like a woman . Normally I would have used a key to put them back.

erics3000 - t5's definitely need reflectors - either DIY or purchased. I haven't put mine on yet, I guess that a job for tomorrow! Thank you very much and no I'm not going to put more texture on them as they will be covered (I hope) before to long with coraline algae and corals. The Infinity is VERY nice I really do like it. To clean the front all I do is put a soft mitten over my hand and just wipe it down - 30 seconds and it's done.
Old 12/30/2007, 07:35 PM
Underground Art Studio

Ok - here it is!

- my fish are happy just swimming around in the big ocean without any big fish messing with them - well until next week!
Old 12/30/2007, 07:39 PM
Moved out

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefArtist
Quote from Chris:
"Hey just wanna let you know it looks like you got some nekkid people in your back yard!! "
----------------------------------------------
Oh Chris - here's a correction just for you

Oh - did anyone notice in the above photo that my pattern for my rocks are from Me No Nemo's tank build thread . Not Chris, he's to busy looking at the nekkid people in the photo
Oh Carol!! I haven't laughed that hard in a while!

Old 12/30/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Funny..lol..

Carol it evan looks better in you tank...

Old 12/30/2007, 10:41 PM
Underground Art Studio

I need some of those multi colored chromis like you have in your tank -
Old 12/30/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

hahhaah

Old 12/31/2007, 05:34 AM
Registered Member

wow!! I see a flash of yellow in there too... just curious Carol, did you hypo or treat the fish in the qt at all??
Old 12/31/2007, 06:04 AM
Underground Art Studio

Joe - you saw these guys, they've been in QT for about 3+ weeks and FAOIS had them weeks before that. Notice you only see 1 as the other 3 went right for the rocks and haven't come out yet. They loved the holes I made at the bottom of the clay pieces - they went right for them. They were dying to get out of that small QT tank and start swimming around.
I only purchase my fish from one source and that's FAOIS - there is only one other place I would trust as much as them and that's SITC. Knock on wood I've not had any of the common diseases in any of my saltwater tanks - but I'm very careful where I get them. Either they've already been in QT or I do the QT for two to three weeks - depending on the fish and their risk to diseases.

On a side note. The the corals even the ones I have in my other tanks now will be going through a complete examination. About 8 or 10 months ago I had flat worms (Not the real bad ones) in my sea horse tank. Nothing is getting into the 280 as that was one of the reasons I'm using clay rocks - nothing on them unknown. I'm using the Infinity as a holding tank as such - I can acclimate them to the tank using it. I do all my checking, picking of anything on the rocks etc from it. I love how easy it is to put my hand in and check on everyone. The only draw back is the flow - not a lot of it. So I purchased a tiny Tunze to give it just a little more.

BTW - I'm going to be finishing your wood today - I hope you'll like it . Oh - you better bring your long johns on Wed as it's going to be COLD! OK cold by FL standards .
Old 12/31/2007, 06:17 AM
Underground Art Studio

Oh - as far as treating with medication. I never treat without knowing what to treat. I personally am not going to take antibiotics without knowing why I'm taking them. Same with the fish and as long as I stay firm with where I purchase and watch them constantly, I have no fear. This is just how I do my QT and if other do it differently that's good. Everyone is different and I try not to push my protocols onto anyone - everyone treats to their comfort levels - this is just mine. To me - why stress a creature that is already stressed without a good reason.

Corals are a different story because you really can't see those little bugs (I can't very well) and all will be dipped first before going into the 280. I guess I really shouldn't say "ALL". I do not treat my sensitive corals, mainly some of my LPSs. I have killed beautiful 100+ dollar corals by doing this and for some I'll take the risk - because the risk is VERY small.

Last edited by ReefArtist; 12/31/2007 at 06:32 AM.