Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

Old 05/13/2006, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

robthorn not honest.

I purchased a sea swirl from robthorn in Oct. When I hooked it up a few weeks later it did not work. He said it worked before and that we should file a claim with the shipper. I said the box is fine - he said do whatever I want to the box as it is not his responsibility that the sea swirl does not work - he gave no guarantees on the purchase. The sea swirl is picked up by carrier. robthorn says they denied the claim because he did not have a paypal receipt. He says he will send them the receipt and get it taken care of. Many months go by with him stringing me along. In March I have had it and say then just return the sea swirl to me (carrier returned it to him) and I will try and fix it. He says he will and will send tracking info. Never heard from him again, nor did I receive the sea swirl back. So he gets my $100 and the sea swirl. Nice deal for him. Sucks for me.
Old 05/14/2006, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

If you used PayPal can't you get your money back through Buyer Protection?

I've had this happen to me before, and I got my money back with no problems, just took about 4 weeks or so.
Old 05/15/2006, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

Might be too late. I'm sure they have a time limit for claims
Old 05/15/2006, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

They do have a time limit. I think I may call my credit card company though, as I paid through them and see if they will do anything at this late date.
Old 05/16/2006, 01:11 AM
Registered Member.

Sorry to hear all that, I wish you the best of luck and am knocking on wood and typing at the same time.
Old 05/16/2006, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

I just contacted my credit card company and they said they will try and get back the funds. I hope it works!
Old 06/07/2006, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

you wait 2 months to tell me you don't have something? I sent you an extra one that was actually broken but it didn't get sold because it was actually broken so maybe if you were lucky you could make one out of two. why didn't you tell me you didn't get it after I said I would send it? is it possible that after 2 months I still have tracking info? not likely.
I did not put a gaurantee on anything. I plugged it in the day I sent it and it worked you get it and it doesn't . you send me an email saying you will leave it plugged in for another hour to see if it starts up? you should know that if your plumbing bound it up you burned the motor up yourself. the monitor was $50 shipping wasn't free and whatever is left over was for the sea swirl. the whole transaction was for $150 then I had to pay paypal fees which were around $5. the thread tells you I was helping a friend out and didn't get a dime of the money. now you are stealing $150 from me. do you actually think you deserve it? because you broke something? that is not my fault at all nor anyone elses but yours. what about the other product you still have? you want the money for that too?
I tried to get fedex to honor the claim but that isn't my fault either. I talked and talked with them and made several trips to their office to try and get your money back when maybe I shouldn't have since I think you are the one that broke it. they denied your claim because the box looked good when they picked it up. so what if I said do what you want to the box I know how they are and if the box isn't damaged they aren't going to pay. dishonest? maybe a little but at least I'm not a thief.
I was alot nicer than I should have been.
Old 06/07/2006, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Wow. I don't even know where to begin. I sent you an email saying I hadn't received anything and never heard from you. You said you would send me the tracking information and that was the last I heard from you - no tracking info and no seaswirls. As for the $150, I put in a claim for $100 for the seaswirl. If through the process the credit card company got the $150 then I will refund the $50 to you. I am not a thief and I have been more than patient with all of your bs. I have no doubt that you still have the seaswirl(s). Be a man and be honest. You were not nice, you just bs'd me along. I would love to see any responses you got from fedex. As far as I know you got the claim money, my money and the seaswirls. BTW, I did not burn them up. As you stated in an email (that I gave to the credit card company) there were two broken parts in the seaswirl. If I sold something to someone and it didn't work when they got it I would refund the money or work out a deal. All you did was string me along. Again, I say "KARMA" comes back to bite you in the butt. Who is feeling it?
Old 06/10/2006, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

I know this is not about whats going on above. But the rule in this forum says to stay on the same thread for buyer feedback for this person...

Bought a light fixture from robthorn, everything worked and looked great, as stated to me in a PM. He even dropped the price on the light fixture $25 for me when I was their to pick up the light. He also has sold LR to me on another purchase that was very nice rock, and has given me xenia, green star polpys, and mushrooms for free.

I've had a great experience for a first time buyer off of here from robthorn when I got into this hobby. Thanks again rob
Old 06/12/2006, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

I also have dealt with Robthorn on multiple occasions and have had nothing but success and good business with him.
Old 06/16/2006, 10:23 PM
Moved On

just noticed this thread. i have purchased from rob MANY times and will continue to do so. sorry it did not work out but as for my experience it has been nothing but possitive. good guy, always very good prices.
Old 06/21/2006, 09:19 AM
Registered my member

Not taking sides but people are more apt to treat you right when you buy from them in person.
Old 06/21/2006, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

I treat everyone fair. haven't you ever heard you break it you buy it? kind of the same thing here. I am not refunding something that was broken buy the installer.
Old 06/21/2006, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

mistake post, sorry

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 06/21/2006, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

I want to ask you rob, why didn't you just return the seaswirl like you said you would? That would have been the right thing to have done, and we wouldn't be in this situation. That is the problem is here. It is not just about the money. If you had followed through with what you said then this would not be happening. As it is, you owe me one way or the other. Why don't you just send me the seaswirls like you originally said and then we can end this?

Last edited by miracles38; 06/21/2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06/21/2006, 12:12 PM
Garbologist

We are just arguing about who broke something here. I think it best if you guys take this up on email.

Closed

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."