Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 05/10/2004, 06:49 AM
Majanos Beware!!!

Bulkhead question

I am having a tank built for me. I am trying to figure out the diameter of 1.5" bulkheads and 2" bulkheads are so that I can finish the diagrams. I mean like, the hole in the middle is 1.5" and 2", not the whole bulkhead.

Does anyone here know the diameter of 1.5" and 2" bulkheads including the "Lip" that hugs the glass on the very edges?

Did that make sense? I keep asking the guy that's building it for me what size these bulkheads are, but I think I'm confusing him because he doesn't write back .

Just figured I would ask here as a lot of you guys get custom tanks built

TIA
Old 05/10/2004, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

It all depends on the brand. there not all the same. Its always best to buy your bulkheads first. on the average its normaly 1/2'' larger and you'd probaly get more responce in the DIY forum as this is usually for people with existing tanks. cheers.
Old 05/10/2004, 07:11 AM
Majanos Beware!!!

Thanx John

is that a 1/2" larger Radius or Diameter?

Since it seems to be brand specific it would probably be better if the guy that is building the tank tells me the overall Diameter since he is including the bulkheads with the tank. He said 1.5" bulkhead=2.5" hole , but I am confused by that statement. Is he saying that he needs to drill a 2.5" hole to accomodate for a 1.5" bulkhead, or is he saying that the overall diameter of a 1.5" bulkhead is 2.5" ?

I also posted something in the DIY forum. Just figured I would ask here to see if anyone here could help.

Last edited by saltyseaman; 05/10/2004 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05/10/2004, 09:23 AM
Under 2 Club

1.5" Bulkhead needs a 2.5" hole and a 2" Bulkhead needs a 3" hole.
Old 05/10/2004, 04:34 PM
Majanos Beware!!!

Thanx for the input. Now all I have to do is figure out the overall Diameter of the Bulkhead including the "Lip" that hugs the glass, but I guess I have to wait on a reply to the last email I sent several days ago ........
Old 05/10/2004, 05:52 PM
28" Rainbow Trout

What they are saying is ea brand may vary. Youre probably looking at 1/2 to 1" lip, but dont take my word for it. If the builder is going to install them, ask him. If youre going to buy them and install yourself, do so now so you have your definative answer. Savco comes highly recommended by most big tank users but your builder needs to know that because the holes have to be bigger than most.
Old 05/10/2004, 06:01 PM
Majanos Beware!!!

Right, understood.

I've asked the builder allready and he isn't getting back to me. Hence, this thread, I've posted this over in the DIY forum where I got the feedback I was loking for

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=370021

Thanx for your help guys
Old 05/11/2004, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

why not just have the builder do all your bulkhead work? as long as you get the ID of what you need then who cares really about OD as he is doing all the building. a half inch here or there doesn't really matter.
BIGDADDY: I just installed my 2'' bulkheads and needed only 2,1/2'' holes. I use the RAINBOWLIFEGUARD bulkheads.
Old 05/11/2004, 08:32 AM
Majanos Beware!!!

HE will be doing all of the bulkhead work and that is not a problem. The problem comes in when I am designing my stand. I don't want that extra 1/2" sitting on a 2x4 and causing the bulkhead or glass to crack. Therefore I need to make very specific diagrams guiding him to exactly where to put the holes.
Old 05/12/2004, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

I made a mistake on bulkhead hole size that I quoted. My 1'' bulkhead needs a 2'' hole and my 2'' needs a 3'' hole.
Old 05/12/2004, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

It depends what brand of bulkhead you are buying but these seem to be the standard sizing.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...tings_2.asp#bh

A 1.5" bulkhead has an exterior dimension of 3.5" and a 3/4" bulkhead would have a 2 1/4" exterior diameter, a 2" bulkhead would have a 4" diameter.
Old 05/12/2004, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

my 1" bulkhead needs a 1 3/4" hole... so there is an example of how they are different from brand to brand! LOL
Old 05/12/2004, 05:46 PM
28" Rainbow Trout

I know what you mean about the stand. I had to break out the roto-zip with the tank already on the stand because my 2x4s were on side vs on edge. Sawdust in the eyes was my punishment!

However, your holes should probably be about centered in your overflows, so that's another thing to consider about the hole placement. The builder can only do so much depending on the dims of the overflow.

Sorry your communications are not going smoothly with your builder. To me, that would give me 2nd thoughts right away. If communications are not good placing the order, dont expect much after the order is placed.
Old 05/12/2004, 06:55 PM
Majanos Beware!!!

Thanx for the help everyone.

I'm still left guessing at this point. I emailed the builder two weeks ago and asked him what the diameter of these bulkheads are, as well as some other important questions. I expressed that I need these dimensions so that I can finish the diagrams so that he can start building the tank. I wait and wait, and I get no reply.

I email again a few days later, asking if he could answer my questions. He finally emails me back telling me to ask the questions again because he doesn't want to dig through previously sent emails. Then says to put numbers by the questions.

I'm annoyed, but I do it and send the email. I get no reply. I wait a few days and still get no reply. I bug him again to get him to answer the questions. I express my concern that the tank is supposed to arrive in three and a half weeks and he doesn't have my final diagrams. (He has never emailed me asking for the final diagrams)

He emails me back saying that I should send the diagrams ASAP so he can get started.

I NEED HIM TO ANSWER THE FREAKING QUESTIONS SO I CAN FINISH THE DIAGRAMS!!!!!!

He doesn't return my phone calls, ignores my emails, and doesn't answer VERY important questions. He hasn't even ordered the glass yet!!! The worst part is, I sent him half the $ 7 weeks ago . I've been talking with him about this tank for 12 weeks. He was real cool at first, but has changed as of lately . Now with only 3 weeks left untill I am supposed to recieve the tank, I can't give him my diagrams because he won't answer my questions!! And he can't start building without my diagrams!!

You guys don't even know how frustrating this has been, and this isn't even half of the story

Sorry to go on like that. I had to vent somewhere . Squeak's comment just reminded me of what is going on right now, and I felt the rage start to build again
Old 05/12/2004, 07:01 PM
Majanos Beware!!!

Ah, correction. He did email me back with one of those emails and tell me that a 1.5" bulkhead required a 2.5" hole. That was the answer to one of my many questions, and I guess the question was misunderstood because that's not the info I was looking for. He still didn't answer any of the rest of my questions, and still hasn't.......
Old 05/12/2004, 08:38 PM
Majanos Beware!!!

WOW!! He Called!!!!

He's a busy guy, and nice to talk to on the phone. Even still, what I have stated above did happen. I look very poorly on that .

BUT!! He has assured me that the tank will be here in 3 weeks. He answered all of my questions with courtesy, and was apologetic for his negligence. I feel much better .

But, as I have allready stated, he didn't return many phone calls, didn't return MANY emails, didn't answer VERY important questions, and has therefore mistreated his client. When dealing with the kind of $ we are dealing with, that can put a lot of stress on a guy .

As long as it all works out it will all be OK.

Sorry again about venting here. Maybe I should have bottled it up a little longer .