Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/11/2004, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

help planning my new set-up.

help planning my new set-up.

okay guys would like to hear what you think of my proposed set-up.

Okay the tank is 7 x 2.5 wide by 2 high, so holds about 200 gallons.
the tank will be supported on a steel frame. and will be a sps dominated tank.

This is what i was thinking of the lighting:

with the blue actincs done by the deltec power twin t5 units of 2x39 watts, so will have 4 of these.

http://www.deltecaquariumsolutions.com/lighting.php

and then the main lighting will be the stm compact 250 watt units:

http://www.stm-shop.co.uk/acatalog/STM_Lighting_.html

and have the three yellows as 14k de arcadia bulbs, with the red one as de 10k bulbs, with the 10ks only on for 6 hours a day. In the tank i will have two eheim 1260's for closed loops and 2 tunze streams 6000 and 2 6100's controlled with the multicontroller. I will have a weir with two durso style piping connected to the sump with 1 1/2" piping.

the sump area will be around 1.5m below the tank, and is in a lean to behind the garage.

I hope to have a large plastic bucket that holds around 200 gal which i will fill with dead live rock from
http://www.clams.co.uk/erol.html#1x0&&

the sump area will look like this:

with above the sump i will have a frame which will have the skimmers , two deltec apf 600, a deltec rowa reactor, the deltec pf509 calcium reactor. http://www.deltecaquariumsolutions.com/home.php

with a bucket of ro/di water which has a tunze osmolator connect for the evaporation.
the sump will be my current tank which is 100 gal.

The frag tank will be 40" x 20 wide by 18 high and have a pump running it so have 30x turnover and be lit by my current arcadia series 3 250 watt metal halide with a 14k bulb.

below this i will have a small area for macro algae.

the heating will be done with heaters controller by a contoller, and fans above the tank and sump area will also be controlled by controllers.

the return from the sump is a deltec hlp4040.

any ideas please let me know,
andrew

Last edited by pomme; 05/11/2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05/12/2004, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

anyone?
Old 05/12/2004, 02:35 PM
Under 2 Club

It looks good.

The only suggestion I have for you is the lighting. I have a similar setup on my 72x30x30. The 5 mh's are plenty, I think you could go 20 k w/ your 3 14k lights and lose the actincs. But, since you are buying so much deltec, saving a few $$ on the actincs might not mean much.
Old 05/12/2004, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

already got most of the kit, only need to get 3 metal halides and the t5s.

thats a good option i hadnt thought about.